4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

It's confirmed, my VI hasn't been working (Harlan switch possibly to blame)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Keven97SE

Thank you thank you thank you for talking to him! Glad to hear he remembers I exist. Guess I'll hang tite until the new unit arrives.

Did I tell you thanks?!

Originally posted by Dave B
Harlan e-mailed me back and said to send the switch back for a replacement. What's interesting is that he says he hasn't even gotten around to testing Keven's switch yet. He was aware of problems though.

Keven-
He said he will be sending out a switch ASAP.

Dave

Old 10-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Toolrocks

It depends on what kind of toggle switch you have but a simple one to wire would only have 2 poles (attachment points) on it. For a quick fix I would recommend you run a fused constant positive to your Dawes or similar device. Then take the negative side of the Dawes to your switch, then wire the other side of the switch to a good ground. That way you are only providing ground when the switch is fliped. You will need a 2 pole switch that is latching and either normally closed or normally open. Hope this helps.
Thank you, sir.

Dave
Old 10-03-2002, 09:26 AM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I asked the same question of MSD about modifying the RPM switch earlier in the week and received this response from Joe yesterday.

Dear Sir,

We can convert the RPM activated switch to a one cylinder application
here
in the US for $35. This is not including the cost of the RPM switch.
Unfortunately no one in Australia can perform this conversion. After
converted this unit will take the RPM signal off of one of the coils on
the
coil per cylinder setup.

Thanks,
MSD Tech.

Not sure what I'll use yet, but I'd like to try the MSD.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mine seems to work pretty consistantly too, but I've noticed if I've done a lot of a runs after a while, it'll just go dead and won't switch it anymore. Is that what you guys are getting?
Old 10-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Ants97SE
Mine seems to work pretty consistantly too, but I've noticed if I've done a lot of a runs after a while, it'll just go dead and won't switch it anymore. Is that what you guys are getting?
For some people, yes.

Dave
Old 10-04-2002, 08:02 AM

Has anyone bought one recently that is working right. Since I will be getting mine soon I just wanted to know if the new onse seem to be working alright or what.

Thanks

SuDZ
Old 10-04-2002, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by Ants97SE
This is what mine seems to be doing now. It will work fine in all gears now, it just quits working after a while. If you restart the car it is fine, and works great again. The little LED on the unit doesn't start blinking either, it just doesn't do anything. Harlan said he would replace my switch as well, but something makes me think that its not a bad switch. I might just wait and see if the new ones work without any problems before I send mine back.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Mine has worked properly ever since I got it(~9/20)
Old 10-04-2002, 04:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yea, that's exactly what mines doing.

Originally posted by 96sleeper

This is what mine seems to be doing now. It will work fine in all gears now, it just quits working after a while. If you restart the car it is fine, and works great again. The little LED on the unit doesn't start blinking either, it just doesn't do anything. Harlan said he would replace my switch as well, but something makes me think that its not a bad switch. I might just wait and see if the new ones work without any problems before I send mine back.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:27 AM

Where is your RPM switch sitting. Because I know some people if they have the cover hid everything under the cover I wonder if the RPM switch is getting to hot. Just trying to figure out why they all of a sudden stop working.

-John
Old 10-05-2002, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Mr Cranman

Where is your RPM switch sitting. Because I know some people if they have the cover hid everything under the cover I wonder if the RPM switch is getting to hot. Just trying to figure out why they all of a sudden stop working.

-John
my rpm switch is inside the car, in the fuse box area. I am gonna re-wire everything tomorrow and check all the connections and make sure it is not a user error.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:38 AM

my rpm switch is inside the car, in the fuse box area. I am gonna re-wire everything tomorrow and check all the connections and make sure it is not a user error.
Good idea eliminate that possiblity then we can really diagnose the problem...by any chance have you guys checked this post out http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....7&goto=newpost
We might be on to something here.

-John