4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gauges ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 08:17 PM

Gauges ?

Should i keep my white gauges or go for a reverse euro gauges
Old 10-04-2002, 08:30 PM

If you just like Blue like me you can keep the white and enjoy the blue at night.

Sean
Old 10-04-2002, 08:34 PM

ya i did the same....but i must admit reverse w/intelli needles =

Old 10-04-2002, 08:35 PM
!OG SNES OG!

Nice work man!

Originally posted by 97' SEan
If you just like Blue like me you can keep the white and enjoy the blue at night.

Sean
That must have taken you awhile! Looks great though. I would like mine hooked up like that.

Mike
Old 10-04-2002, 08:35 PM

looking at that, i think im gonna go all blue...
Old 10-04-2002, 08:40 PM

As many times as I've had the dash apart I can do it in less than 5 minutes. Just got in my new 194 bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com Paid $1.59 each x 5
One thing though, if you want your needles to glow blue you need to remove them and scrape the orange paint off carefully with a razor blade. Be very careful to keep your gauges in alignment, took me a few tries. If you need any help let me know. Also check out my other blue mods on my homepage. Sean
Old 10-04-2002, 09:19 PM

As many times as I've had the dash apart I can do it in less than 5 minutes. Just got in my new 194 bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com Paid $1.59 each x 5
One thing though, if you want your needles to glow blue you need to remove them and scrape the orange paint off carefully with a razor blade. Be very careful to keep your gauges in alignment, took me a few tries. If you need any help let me know. Also check out my other blue mods on my homepage. Sean
Dude your blue light project is tight. Im doing the same thing. I want u to explain me some things
#1 what bulb is behind the gauges and is it easy to install
#2 Where can i buy the windows switch bulb and is it easy to install it myself
#3 What bulb is the Acc light, Hazard Light, Keyring, Ashtray and security.
Now i probably need u to help me install like u did. And where can i buy the bulbs for each
Old 10-04-2002, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by elgatomax

Dude your blue light project is tight. Im doing the same thing. I want u to explain me some things
#1 what bulb is behind the gauges and is it easy to install
#2 Where can i buy the windows switch bulb and is it easy to install it myself
#3 What bulb is the Acc light, Hazard Light, Keyring, Ashtray and security.
Now i probably need u to help me install like u did. And where can i buy the bulbs for each
Thx, Put way too many hours into it though.

#1 WLED-B Blue LED bulb You need 5 but get 7 if you want to do doors.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR
#2 All of my blue lights are Leds, you have several choices, you can go to your local radio shack and get part #276-311 for $2.99 ea kinda of a deep blue almost purple, that's how I started out. They also have brighter led's for $3.99, those are what I used for the Defroster, Keyring, Security, Speakers, and under seat lights. Finally after blowing $50 at RS I got smart and ordered 20 leds for $1.09 ea off the above site.
#3a Acc light = 4 leds here is a link on how to do them although I did them differently: http://www.z3d.com/maxima/blueclimate.html
I chose to solder them directly into the circuit board with a resistor on each led. Also be aware that the two leds in the front buttons are quite difficult to replace with standard 5mm leds, I used a dremel drill to shape them to size, otherwise the button sticks. If I had it to do over again I would use these: http://www.eled.com/product.asp?cata..._id=E1777MBSGW
The led on the left needs a resistor and the one on the right I did not use one. For some reason the button on the right would be very dim with a resistor and nice and bright without, I tested it and it hasn't burned out yet so it should be ok. For all the leds I have been using 330ohm resistors.
#3b Hazard light = lots of patience, also a small led with resistor, the switch itself needs a little modifying, practice taking it apart and putting it back together, took me over an hour
#3c Keyring = challenging, I used a $3.99 led from RS and connected the negative side to wire and grounded it, the positive side I connected to the 12v on the bulb socket.
#3d Ashtray = one of the easier ones, took out old bulb, soldered in led from rs with resistor
#3e Security = actually used an led from a photon light, very bright, just replaced the red led with the blue pretty simple, resistor already built in the rubber holder.

Hopefully you haven't fallen asleep from the excrutiatingly long post. Many of the switches you need to be creative to mount the led, there is very limited space in most of them. I can send you pictures of each of them and how I mounted them, hope you have a good soldering iron, cold fan, and a burning desire to see blue!

Sean
Old 10-04-2002, 10:03 PM

Thx, Put way too many hours into it though.

#1 WLED-B Blue LED bulb You need 5 but get 7 if you want to do doors.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...gi?product=CAR
#2 All of my blue lights are Leds, you have several choices, you can go to your local radio shack and get part #276-311 for $2.99 ea kinda of a deep blue almost purple, that's how I started out. They also have brighter led's for $3.99, those are what I used for the Defroster, Keyring, Security, Speakers, and under seat lights. Finally after blowing $50 at RS I got smart and ordered 20 leds for $1.09 ea off the above site.
#3a Acc light = 4 leds here is a link on how to do them although I did them differently: http://www.z3d.com/maxima/blueclimate.html
I chose to solder them directly into the circuit board with a resistor on each led. Also be aware that the two leds in the front buttons are quite difficult to replace with standard 5mm leds, I used a dremel drill to shape them to size, otherwise the button sticks. If I had it to do over again I would use these: http://www.eled.com/product.asp?cata..._id=E1777MBSGW
The led on the left needs a resistor and the one on the right I did not use one. For some reason the button on the right would be very dim with a resistor and nice and bright without, I tested it and it hasn't burned out yet so it should be ok. For all the leds I have been using 330ohm resistors.
#3b Hazard light = lots of patience, also a small led with resistor, the switch itself needs a little modifying, practice taking it apart and putting it back together, took me over an hour
#3c Keyring = challenging, I used a $3.99 led from RS and connected the negative side to wire and grounded it, the positive side I connected to the 12v on the bulb socket.
#3d Ashtray = one of the easier ones, took out old bulb, soldered in led from rs with resistor
#3e Security = actually used an led from a photon light, very bright, just replaced the red led with the blue pretty simple, resistor already built in the rubber holder.

Hopefully you haven't fallen asleep from the excrutiatingly long post. Many of the switches you need to be creative to mount the led, there is very limited space in most of them. I can send you pictures of each of them and how I mounted them, hope you have a good soldering iron, cold fan, and a burning desire to see blue!

Sean

for the gauges light where can i buy them
Old 10-04-2002, 10:03 PM

Here is what you have to look forward to.

Sean
Old 10-04-2002, 10:05 PM

From here ==>>>> #1 WLED-B Blue LED bulb You need 5 but get 7 if you want to do doors.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...cgi?product=CAR
Old 10-04-2002, 10:05 PM

Here is what you have to look foward to.

Sean
what about the gauges light where can i buy it..is it radioshack
Old 10-04-2002, 10:06 PM

From here ==>>>> #1 WLED-B Blue LED bulb You need 5 but get 7 if you want to do doors.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...cgi?product=CAR
site didnt work
Old 10-04-2002, 10:09 PM

hey u have a screen name i can talk to u on like aim , yahoo, icq, or msn
Old 10-04-2002, 10:09 PM

site didnt work
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
under this line Single LED Wedge Base Lamps
click buy online on the left or see specs for info

Sean
Old 10-04-2002, 11:41 PM

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
under this line Single LED Wedge Base Lamps
click buy online on the left or see specs for info

Sean
so i cant buy this at a store only online
Old 10-05-2002, 07:03 AM

so i cant buy this at a store only online
I don't know of any stores that sell them, but I'm sure that there are some. I would guess you could call some automotive performance stores in your local area. The first set that I got had black bases and rounded tops and they would flicker and half of them were dim. I popped in my new ones with blue bottoms and flat top and they lit beautifully. Have fun, Sean
Old 10-06-2002, 01:02 AM

thats a nice setup
Old 10-06-2002, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by iregula
thats a nice setup