4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Q on springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 10:37 PM

Q on springs

I have a AGX and maxspeed setup. When doing my normal driving, I sometimes hear what sound like the back spring(s?) making sorta like a grinding noise. Not really a grinding noise but its hard to explain. Kinda sounds like the springs are stiff and they are being bent. Anyone know if this is normal. I had this setup for about 2 weeks now.
Old 10-05-2002, 10:37 AM

hello?

anyone?
Old 10-05-2002, 11:04 AM

Re: Q on springs

Originally posted by DpG $h0rTeE
I have a AGX and maxspeed setup. When doing my normal driving, I sometimes hear what sound like the back spring(s?) making sorta like a grinding noise. Not really a grinding noise but its hard to explain. Kinda sounds like the springs are stiff and they are being bent. Anyone know if this is normal. I had this setup for about 2 weeks now.
Hey, I have maxspeed springs also. Good for the price and bad for the reason you've stated. I guess it's the extra coils (for low resistance travel).

Anyways, you just need to isolate the coils on each end of the spring from each other to keep them from rubbing on each other during hard cornering. Get some vinyl tubing (I think 1/2 inch will work, but might want to double check) and cut it to form a helical shape. The helix is important because it will allow the tube to conform better to the shape of the spring through the range of compression.

Next, wrap the helically cut tube around the coils that are spaced the closest to other coils. These should be on the ends of the spring (top and bottom). Voila! No more noise (or at least decreased frequency of noise).

RL
Old 10-05-2002, 11:41 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Re: Re: Q on springs

Originally posted by Vesaijan

Hey, I have maxspeed springs also. Good for the price and bad for the reason you've stated. I guess it's the extra coils (for low resistance travel).

Anyways, you just need to isolate the coils on each end of the spring from each other to keep them from rubbing on each other during hard cornering. Get some vinyl tubing (I think 1/2 inch will work, but might want to double check) and cut it to form a helical shape. The helix is important because it will allow the tube to conform better to the shape of the spring through the range of compression.

Next, wrap the helically cut tube around the coils that are spaced the closest to other coils. These should be on the ends of the spring (top and bottom). Voila! No more noise (or at least decreased frequency of noise).

RL

Go to Advance Auto Parts (or comparable place) and get some spiral wrap. Its for electrical work and stuff....works like a champ.

Aaron