4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Interesting Tire Wear Pattern....

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2002, 05:34 AM

Interesting Tire Wear Pattern....

I've recently started travelling a VERY crooked 25 mile road to work... and I do NOT drive slow.

The weird thing is, it's the INSIDE tire that is squealing around the turns... not the tire on the outside of the turn.

The car used to wear the tires very evenly with mostly highway driving, but not wears the INSIDES of the front tires out. The outsides of the front tires look great, while the insides of both front tires are BALD!

(I'm thinking some geometry needs addressed, here)

Has anyone else gone through this?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You need an alignment.
Old 10-05-2002, 07:46 AM

Also check the pressure of the tires. If your pressure lowers the aspect ratio of the tire will roll on a lateral plain. If you are on a low profile tire that can be very bad because you'll be actually running on the 2 ply sidewall instead of the 3 ply tread base.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:20 AM

The tires are 205/65/15, so they aren't low profile units. I'm aware how a low profile tire would probably be WORSE.

About tire pressure... I've always run 40psi in the front, 34 in the rear. With highway driving, tire wear had always been excellent. Busting a$$ on these curvy roads has changed that. The treadwear is no longer even... it is HEAVILY biased towards the inside.

It seems, when going around the tight, twisty curves of these West Virginia secondary roads fast... the inside front suspension extends, and when it does, the wheel cambers out and rides on the inside of the tread.

There might also be some Ackerman concerns here as well.

Running less air in the front tires might help with the wear on the inside tire, but the car handles so much better with the extra pressure, I'm hesitant.

I was just wondering if there were 'fixes' out there, like there are for mustangs, etc.

Thanks!
Old 10-05-2002, 12:41 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by n2oMike
The tires are 205/65/15, so they aren't low profile units. I'm aware how a low profile tire would probably be WORSE.

About tire pressure... I've always run 40psi in the front, 34 in the rear. With highway driving, tire wear had always been excellent. Busting a$$ on these curvy roads has changed that. The treadwear is no longer even... it is HEAVILY biased towards the inside.

It seems, when going around the tight, twisty curves of these West Virginia secondary roads fast... the inside front suspension extends, and when it does, the wheel cambers out and rides on the inside of the tread.

There might also be some Ackerman concerns here as well.

Running less air in the front tires might help with the wear on the inside tire, but the car handles so much better with the extra pressure, I'm hesitant.

I was just wondering if there were 'fixes' out there, like there are for mustangs, etc.

Thanks!
Yeah, I had that problem and it was due to incorrect toe-in. Just
get the alignment done and ensure they adjust both toe and camber
(the slight bit that it can be mucked with on our cars). Specs and
methods are available in the FAQ and via SEARCH.

Cheers,

JK