4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

differential bearing? hum hum hum noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

differential bearing? hum hum hum noise?

i keep hearing a hum hum hum noise from the right side. i noticed that it was more near the transmission...I do have a very small tranny leak. the thing is that when my steering wheel is straight i can hear the noise and if i turn any more right from the center it will make that noise. Faster I go louder it gets. when i take a left turn the sound goes away completely. I can kind of feel the noise in the gas pedal too. what should I do?

Chris
Old 10-09-2002, 03:43 PM

anyone help?

Chris
Old 10-09-2002, 05:24 PM

Chris

I was racing about a week ago and i hit a curb, long story but thats not the point. I had to get a new control arm and a new spindal. But i also had to get a new bearing in the front right of my max, it was a little over a hundred. So the reason for this post is that the part isnt too cheap man. good luck
Old 10-09-2002, 07:46 PM

Re: differential bearing? hum hum hum noise?

Originally posted by NISMOPower
i keep hearing a hum hum hum noise from the right side. i noticed that it was more near the transmission...I do have a very small tranny leak. the thing is that when my steering wheel is straight i can hear the noise and if i turn any more right from the center it will make that noise. Faster I go louder it gets. when i take a left turn the sound goes away completely. I can kind of feel the noise in the gas pedal too. what should I do?

Chris
Sounds more like a wheel bearing to me.

You can double check the differential bearings fairly easily though. Just grab the shaft and see if it has any play in it. If it moves up or down, that's your problem. If not, I'd look at the wheel bearings.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:02 PM

Re: Chris

Originally posted by maxperformance
I was racing about a week ago and i hit a curb, long story but thats not the point. I had to get a new control arm and a new spindal. But i also had to get a new bearing in the front right of my max, it was a little over a hundred. So the reason for this post is that the part isnt too cheap man. good luck
Hey this started happening after I had hit a curb on my front right tire too...does that mean the accident caused it...I mean like is there a way to prove that it was from the accident and have the insurance pay for it???

Chris
Old 10-09-2002, 10:24 PM

Should I attempt the wheel bearing myself to save money??? Is it pretty simple to do??? Only stuff I've done is brakes, remove plenum and throttle body to get to valve cover, fuel filters, fuel lines, wheel bearings on one other american van, exhaust, suspension work. Anyone think I may be able to do this with ease???

Chris
Old 10-10-2002, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by NISMOPower
Should I attempt the wheel bearing myself to save money??? Is it pretty simple to do??? Only stuff I've done is brakes, remove plenum and throttle body to get to valve cover, fuel filters, fuel lines, wheel bearings on one other american van, exhaust, suspension work. Anyone think I may be able to do this with ease???

Chris
Replacing the wheel bearing is not an easy job unless you have the right tools. You can go to motorvate.ca and find a how-to on wheel bearing replacement and how to make your own bearing press tooling. I did that and still had a lot of trouble. Fortunately I have a friend who is a mechanic and I borrowed his $750 professional wheel bearing removal and installation tool (called a Hub Buddy, I think, or maybe Bearing Buddy, I can't remember). Then it was easy. Anyway, bottom line is it's not for the faint-hearted.