4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

knocking at high speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 06:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

knocking at high speeds...

I have a 97 Maxima SE. It's all stock, except a KN&N air filter. I use premium gasoline.
The problem I have is that periodically during highway driving (around 70+ mph), when I try to accelerate, or driving up a hill, my car starts knocking, and I loose power. So I am forced to ease up on the accelerator. Quite frustrating, not to mention worrisome.
What is odd is that this is an intermittent problem; furthermore, it never happens in lower speeds, not even when I push it really hard...
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Should I be worried? Can I do anything about it, or do I just live with it? I took it to a dealer but as the problem is intermittent, it did not happen while at the "doctor's office."
Your insight is much appreciated.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Check your ECU for the 0304 knock sensor code...
Old 10-10-2002, 04:57 AM

How many miles on your car? You could have carbon build up. Get BG 44K it will remove the carbon. I believe that it is professional use only so you have to go to a shop.

Other things
Is the K&N clean?
EGR working correctly
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
coil pack
Old 10-10-2002, 05:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 95Max
How many miles on your car? You could have carbon build up. Get BG 44K it will remove the carbon. I believe that it is professional use only so you have to go to a shop.
My old Accord used to do this; it had 170k miles on it though, and had so much carbon buildup it's not even funny.

[url=http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=104931Check your ECU[/url] and see if you're pulling any codes.

When was your last:
spark plug change
fuel filter change
oil change

Have you had a scheduled dealership maintenance?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:10 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Switch your brand of gas and see if it goes away. AnGe had the same ping/knock in her 97. She was using Sunoco gas, she switched to Mobil/Exxon and no more pig - completely gone. Some motors are sensitive to gas brands and the additives they use.

It's not a bad idea to use some of the fuel injection, carbon cleaning system that some have recommended as well.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys thanks for your suggestions. I will get on it and try out your suggestions. Here is the extra info some of you asked:

- low mil. -- 35,000
- regular oil changes -- 5w30 redline
- gas used is chevron premium
- air filter is clean
- fuel filter I will change first thing this weekend
- spark plugs are platinum tipped so they should be still good, or should I replace them?
- the ECU code 0304 can be only checked by the dealer, right?
- 95Max, you bring up the coil pack... I am not sure what it is or what it does. Can someone elaborate.

Since this happens only at high speeds, I am suspecting the air filter the most. I am thinking about changing to stock and seeing if the problem goes away.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you should really only use OEM NGK plugs; the information is located in the 4th gen FAQ's.

if you pull an 0304 and no other codes, reset the ECU (or leave the battery disconnected overnight, or both), and then check for codes again. If the 0304 comes up alone again, replace the knock sensor via skippy directions.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by vnimani2
- the ECU code 0304 can be only checked by the dealer, right?

Again, thanks for all your suggestions.
You can check for ECU codes using the methods described here:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=104931

The knock sensor code will not cause the check engine light to come on.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well, I finally got around to checing out the ECU. The code is 0505 => no error recorded. I also replaced the fuel filter. To be honest, being that this only happend at hight speeds (it never happens if I am just racing someone from stop , I don't think the fuel filter will have any effect.
Next is the K&N air filter. I am replacing it with a brand new stock, and see what happens.
Well, this is the update. BTW, thanks to all of you for your suggestions and pointers.
Old 11-03-2002, 07:19 PM

Re: knocking at high speeds...

Originally posted by vnimani2
I have a 97 Maxima SE. It's all stock, except a KN&N air filter. I use premium gasoline.
The problem I have is that periodically during highway driving (around 70+ mph), when I try to accelerate, or driving up a hill, my car starts knocking, and I loose power. So I am forced to ease up on the accelerator. Quite frustrating, not to mention worrisome.
What is odd is that this is an intermittent problem; furthermore, it never happens in lower speeds, not even when I push it really hard...
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Should I be worried? Can I do anything about it, or do I just live with it? I took it to a dealer but as the problem is intermittent, it did not happen while at the "doctor's office."
Your insight is much appreciated.
we still don't know if your car is stick/auto
Old 11-06-2002, 11:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My bad. The car is a stick.
Old 11-06-2002, 11:59 AM

BG 44K
You don't need to be a professional for this, just pop the top of the can and pour it in. That's what I was instructed to do.... did it and its ok

I guess I'm a professional now!
(only playin!)