4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Would a Rear Strut Bar Imporve Noticable Handling

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002, 07:17 AM

Would a Rear Strut Bar Imporve Noticable Handling

I have 17" wheels on my '95 max, and i bought a front strut bar. I havent dont any work with the suspension it self, because i just cant put up that kind of money for springs and struts. So-if i installed a rear strut bar would i notice and improved handling or lets say body sway? Thanx for reading.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:20 AM
I need a truck

Re: Would a Rear Strut Bar Imporve Noticable Handling

you would notice the difference ... it's worth the money to put one in
Old 10-10-2002, 07:23 AM

Conrad...what kind do you suggest?

im not looking to go over $100 bucks but what do you think the price ranges are for a good strut bar.I could check to see if anyone is selling one of these in the parts/for sale forum. But depending on brand does it really matter?
Old 10-10-2002, 07:26 AM

dont waste the money on a RSTB, get a RSB....youll notice it a lot more
Old 10-10-2002, 07:36 AM

I noticed NO difference with or without the rear strut bar. The rear sway bar, on the other hand, is a much more noticeable difference.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:38 AM
I need a truck

Re: Re: Would a Rear Strut Bar Imporve Noticable Handling

sorry i thought you said REAR SWAY BAR ... you don't want a rear strut bar ... what you wanna get is a addco rear sway bar ... it works wonders ... you can pick one up from custommaxima.com for $125 or you could try your luck in the for sale forum
Old 10-10-2002, 07:50 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Re: Re: Re: Would a Rear Strut Bar Imporve Noticable Handling

Originally posted by Conrad283
sorry i thought you said REAR SWAY BAR ... you don't want a rear strut bar ... what you wanna get is a addco rear sway bar ... it works wonders ... you can pick one up from custommaxima.com for $125 or you could try your luck in the for sale forum
Agreed. Go with the Rear SWAY bar. This thing works wonders on reducing body roll and gives you great handling through the curves. I love to take sharp corners now, as I trust the back end of my won't go sliding out on me.

There was a great post a while back about cornering and the rear sway bar, and the physics of driving with it. If you can find it, it's worth a read. It will help increase your awareness of what your car could do, when cornering. Not sure who posted it, but do a search.

I got my Addco RSB about 2 months ago, and LOVE it. I previously just had a FSTB, so this was my next suspension mod, given that I too didn't have $1100 to drop on shocks/springs (Canadian $$).

Good luck in your search

Mike
Old 10-10-2002, 08:27 AM

Last Friday I installed and Courtesy RSTB and then I drove it for 15 minutes to my buddy's house to get my rear sway bar installed. I can tell you this much....

I can only tell a very minimal amt of difference with the RSTB, only if I'm taking a 90 degree corner faster than normal, the rear does NOT feel more planted, but stiffer. (Keep in mind a stiffer rear end does not translate to better traction) On the other hand after my Stillen RSB, on a hwy clover leaf exit that I normally take at 45 mph max, I took it @ 60 mph.

For about the same price, get the RSB. I only got the RSTB because I got a good deal with it, and complete my whole supsensions mods.

Tifosi
Old 10-10-2002, 08:45 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Would a Rear Strut Bar Imporve Noticable Handling

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
Go with the Rear SWAY bar. This thing works wonders on reducing body roll and gives you great handling through the curves. I love to take sharp corners now, as I trust the back end of my won't go sliding out on me.

There was a great post a while back about cornering and the rear sway bar, and the physics of driving with it. If you can find it, it's worth a read. It will help increase your awareness of what your car could do, when cornering. Not sure who posted it, but do a search.

Mike
No need to search. I was the one who starteed te thread. Here it is:
RSB Thread

I wish to amend my comments. After getting used to the bar and what is does for the car in the right situations, it DOES make a difference, and quite a noticable one. I guess the problem was that I do not like to take my car past its limits, so I never knew where the old limits were, and therefore, where the new limits had gone to. After a while, I felt more comfortalbe and confident, and tried pushing the car a little harder, and I am now certain that the car has improved handling limits. Be aware that this is my ONLY handling mod.
Old 10-10-2002, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by maxperformance
I have 17" wheels on my '95 max, and i bought a front strut bar. I havent dont any work with the suspension it self, because i just cant put up that kind of money for springs and struts. So-if i installed a rear strut bar would i notice and improved handling or lets say body sway? Thanx for reading.
NO, i have one for looks though

Rear Strut bar(rstb) = inside trunk(no difference)

Rear Sway bar(rsb) = underneath car on frame(huge difference to me)

Ant
Old 10-10-2002, 11:36 AM

yes ant, we had a nice discussion the other night on how you wanted the RSTB for looks...thats all it really is, looks.
Old 10-10-2002, 11:39 AM

rsb's are a beautiful thing. i don't know anything about the rear strut tower brace, though
Old 10-10-2002, 12:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

After autocrossing I can say that the RSTB does make a difference. It doesn't help as much as a RSB, but you know it's there.
-hype
Old 10-23-2002, 01:40 PM

Sorry I'm late to this thread but it's great information. So it seems except for auto-x that the RSTB is much less effective than the RSB.

What about the FSTB. The one from custommaxima (esp the red one) would LOOK GREAT in the car, but is it also minimally effective?

Given a choice, would you get the FSTB or RSB first? (I'd guess RSB.)
Old 10-23-2002, 07:55 PM

just get both..
Old 10-23-2002, 08:08 PM

as it already been said, RSTB should be the last mod on the list, or if it hasn't been said, then I just said it, I have GC+Koni, FSTB, Stillen Sway Bar

I autoX and also take my car to the track, before RSTB something just wasn't right, so I decided to get a RSTB and when I did, it made the car tigher, it wasn't all over the place,don't get me wrong, it was a very good racing car (for a maxima) but something wasn't right, the car was planted on the ground better, it's hard to explain but right now the car is pretty much perfectly balanced, when I autoX the car neither oversteers nor understeers (most of the time)

but it's not a mod if you don't take your car to the limits, and I really do take the car there when I race, not so much on the streets

so my advice, get a RSB, it would be worth more
Old 10-23-2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by maximaah
Sorry I'm late to this thread but it's great information. So it seems except for auto-x that the RSTB is much less effective than the RSB.

What about the FSTB. The one from custommaxima (esp the red one) would LOOK GREAT in the car, but is it also minimally effective?

Given a choice, would you get the FSTB or RSB first? (I'd guess RSB.)
You could probably get a FSTB + RSB for less than $150. But if you're absolutely strapped for cash and you can only get one, get the RSB first.