4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen SC Fuel Pump related question

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 06:57 AM
RussMaxManiac

4th gen SC Fuel Pump related question

Do you really need to have the fuel pump in the tank upgraded for a 3.125 pulley? If so recommendations and why this is needed? The guy said he was told he doesn't need it since Stillen came with one. But I explained to him its just a regulator not the pump that comes from the rear. So anyways, advice would be good guys. Thanks.

Old 10-11-2002, 06:59 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Re: 4th gen SC Fuel Pump related question

Originally posted by RussMaxManiac
Do you really need to have the fuel pump in the tank upgraded for a 3.125 pulley?
No.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:23 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

No.

uh oh. is Russy buying a SC max and trading in his CL-s?
Old 10-11-2002, 09:28 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Just to elaborate...

You DO have an aux. fuel pump... It is located underneath the Vortech FMU unit.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:37 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

See that blue thingie in my sig pic? That's the FMU/auxiliary fuel pump.
If you would like the auxiliary fuel pump to be on all of the time here's the link for the Hobs switch instructions.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=hobs
Old 10-11-2002, 09:58 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by BlackCat
See that blue thingie in my sig pic? That's the FMU/auxiliary fuel pump.
If you would like the auxiliary fuel pump to be on all of the time here's the link for the Hobs switch instructions.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=hobs
The Aux can only give as much fuel as the rear can push out of the tank. That is why I am asking because I have seen many 4th gen SC people upgrade to the bigger pump. 300zx or Walbro.

Old 10-11-2002, 10:51 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

The Aux can only give as much fuel as the rear can push out of the tank.
Not true, or why would it be there... think about it.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:25 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Chunger

Not true, or why would it be there... think about it.
It's a regulator to keep a steedy flow of fuel. That little aux PUMP can not pump more fuel IF the rear main pump doesn't pump anymore than it can.

The rear pump must flow more fuel to the aux one up front before it can give more fuel as well.

Common sense.

Old 10-11-2002, 11:29 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

It's a regulator to keep a steedy flow of fuel. That little aux PUMP can not pump more fuel IF the rear main pump doesn't pump anymore than it can.

The rear pump must flow more fuel to the aux one up front before it can give more fuel as well.

Common sense.
I'm not gonna argue with you... If you want to spend the money, go ahead... You've already got your answer from more than 1 person who knows something or another about it...

If you want, here are some instructions for a 4th gen:
http://home.earthlink.net/~msue2/Walbro.htm
Old 10-11-2002, 11:32 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by Chunger

I'm not gonna argue with you... If you want to spend the money, go ahead... You've already got your answer from more than 1 person who knows something or another about it...
Let me tell you something. I have installed 2 Supercharger kits on Maximas. I know how the fuel system works. I am asking OTHER people if they needed to upgrade yet because how close the stock fuel pump is already maxed out with a SC. That is why LOREN, MARDI-GRA, THENEWCLIMAX, and a few others have a bigger fuel pump.

That is the way the fuel system works. If you blow your engine thats fine. I just wanted to answer yes or no which Kev answered.

Old 10-11-2002, 12:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Fuel is not something you want to take chances with expecially on a Boosted car...especially when you're pushing boost to 10 psi levels on stock engine & injectors.

The reason Stillen supplies an auxilliary fuel pump is because the stock pump does not provide enough flow at higher fuel pressures. The stock pump will provide enough fuel to run the injectors at 100% duty cycle given OEM 43.5psi fuel pressure.
V-max (gph) = 240cc/min X 6 inj X 0.015873 = 22.86 gph

If you take a look at the fuel pump flow curve, flow decreases as pressures go up. When you double the fuel pressure, you approximately decrease the fuel flow by half. Therefore our stock pump will only flow 11.43gph at 90psi fuel pressure...BAD BAD BAD!.

Fuel pumps added linearly increase fuel pressures while maintaining the same volume of fuel (P1*V1=P2*V2). We can take both OEM fuel pump & Stillen pump, get their actual fuel curves & do some math, however, as an added margin of safety, get the Walbro 255 lph in tank fuel pump. It will be plenty sufficient for a 3.125" pulley.
Old 10-12-2002, 09:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I wanted to buy one, just got one off another member

I just bought a Walbro fuel pump from another member. Hope this all works out for me, even though I have the Vortech which I will remove from the car to make a bit more space under my hood. It is crowded up in there, SC and those freaking Ballasts just dont help. So Bobby you replaced your Aux Vortech pump with a intank fuel tank. Smart I think it is. That AUX pump gets warm. I really dont want a warm fuel pump even though it does its job I prefer one that sucks right of the Tank. I have to take Russ idea into a bit of consideration. I am not saying hes right or wrong is the simple fact that the statements seem very factual in my eyes and make sense.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:32 PM

Let me tell you something. I have installed 2 Supercharger kits on Maximas. I know how the fuel system works. I am asking OTHER people if they needed to upgrade yet because how close the stock fuel pump is already maxed out with a SC. That is why LOREN, MARDI-GRA, THENEWCLIMAX, and a few others have a bigger fuel pump.

That is the way the fuel system works. If you blow your engine thats fine. I just wanted to answer yes or no which Kev answered.
Uh, Russ, Not arguing with you, because I don't know for sure the answer to the Aux vs Rear pump question, but:

Loren sold me his SC.
He doesn't have it anymore.
I bought it.
And he never had smaller than a 3.25" Pulley

He said he only ever had the Aux pump.

Unless he bought another SC, but I don't think he did, because he told me what he's been working on, and it's not another SC.

And MardisGrasMax also has N02 in addition to his SC.

IanS
Old 10-12-2002, 11:09 PM

Yea...Matt had his walbro pump BEFORE he got the S/C.....he was using it for a 100-shot. He now runs JUST the walbro pump and removed the aux pump completely.

Russ...what you are saying is PARTIALLY right. If it was all right then the aux fuel pump would be completely useless....the stock fuel pump CAN flow the amount of fuel required for the S/C at upgraded boost levels...BUT it cannot maintain the proper PRESSURE at that flow...this is where the aux fuel pump comes it....it boosts the fuel pressure up so that the injectors get the fuel PRESSURE that they need. Does that make sense???
Old 10-13-2002, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by BlackCat
If you would like the auxiliary fuel pump to be on all of the time

Which can be very annoying. That's why I'm glad I got the Walbro pump in there now.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:37 AM

Originally posted by Cumalot

Which can be very annoying. That's why I'm glad I got the Walbro pump in there now.
heh...I wish I had that problem. I can't hear it over the V1 whine, unless I listen for it.

Old 10-13-2002, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by iansw

heh...I wish I had that problem. I can't hear it over the V1 whine, unless I listen for it.

Good post everyone and that is correct Matt had that Walbro for his Nitrous prior to him getting the SCer. But since no one wanted to buy the Walbro from this guy I went on ahead and bought it. And I will install that SAFC and that pump at the same time and go Dyno tune later.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:53 AM

yea i may be getting a walbro soon.
i'm beginning to think my stock pump isn't strong enough.
i keep getting the 0210 light soon after i boost