4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5speed removal questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 07:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

5speed removal questions

I'm removing my 5speed, and I've been to motorvates web-site.
He says to remove the front exhaust. Looking underneath the car it doesn't look like it needs to come off. All the manifold bolt are rusted solid and if I touch them they'll most certainly snap causing
a real problem. Has any one taken out a 5speed without removing the front exhaust? Whats the best way to support the engine?
Old 10-11-2002, 07:57 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: 5speed removal questions

Originally posted by avrilr
He says to remove the front exhaust. Looking underneath the car it doesn't look like it needs to come off. All the manifold bolt are rusted solid and if I touch them they'll most certainly snap causing
a real problem. Has any one taken out a 5speed without removing the front exhaust? Whats the best way to support the engine?
hey, from what i remember (cause i may have to take mine out too), there are 3 rods/pipes that have to do with transmission if they even have to do with it period. that's the 2 support rods and something that hooks on to the y-pipe? I think you should be able to take out tranny with no problem cause there are dozens of people here who have rebuilt their tranny meaning they took it out before just to put it back in. Do a search for these guys and email them your questions for best results....ex: (ericdwong, skeelo34, etc.)
Old 10-11-2002, 08:16 AM

It can be done without taking off the Y. It's easier if you do, which is why it's recommended in the books.

Support the engine with a jack.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:22 AM

You don't need to take off the exaust or the Y-pipe to drop your tranny. Just make sure you take out your CV joints and everything...the y-pipe isn't in the way of dropping the tranny. Take out your starter also and drain the tranny fluid. Other than that just unbolt it and your basically set to go.

-John
Old 10-11-2002, 08:33 AM

When you support the engine, put a piece of 2x4 between the oil pan and the floor jack.