4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

`95 SE / Oil around Top of Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 08:24 PM

`95 SE / Oil around Top of Spark Plugs

Greetings all,

My son just bought a `95 SE and wanted me to check it out. I noticed that it would cut out a bit when under a load. I pulled a couple of coils/spark plug wires (front 3 cylinders) and noticed that there was a fair amount of oil around the top of the spark plugs. Is there a seal or something that is leaking from the valve cover there?

Also the car has been lowered a couple of inches and the struts are turning when the steering does. The seller told him he needed a "high hat" or something to that effect. Anyone know anything about this?

Lastly, I drove the car and when turning I noticed that the car pulled hard one way, but then when turning hard the other way - the car would then pull hard that way...eventually straightening out. Does this sound like rack mount bushings?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:44 PM
Administrator

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=plugs+and+oil
Old 10-13-2002, 06:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You need a new valve cover gasket, that will stop the oil.

As far as the suspension, our cars can be lowered with out much going wrong with the suspension. I'd take it to a shop and have the alignment checked.

The strut does turn with the steering/wheels. Thats a McPherson Strut setup in the front of our cars.

Make sure your check engine light comes on when you turn the key to the on position. A few used cars have reported that bulb was taken out, probably to hide a problem. If that bulb is out, the ECU cannot alert you of a problem or failure. (you report a cut out under load) Just make sure it comes on during the check when the key is in the on position before the car is started.

Welcome to the Maxima.org community! Your son got a great car.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You need a new valve cover gasket, that will stop the oil.

As far as the suspension, our cars can be lowered with out much going wrong with the suspension. I'd take it to a shop and have the alignment checked.

The strut does turn with the steering/wheels. Thats a McPherson Strut setup in the front of our cars.

I know. I changed a rack on an `88 SE a couple of months ago. It was a fun job.

Make sure your check engine light comes on when you turn the key to the on position. A few used cars have reported that bulb was taken out, probably to hide a problem. If that bulb is out, the ECU cannot alert you of a problem or failure. (you report a cut out under load) Just make sure it comes on during the check when the key is in the on position before the car is started.

As a matter of fact the check engine light stays on. I have yet to check the codes on it. The son is rarely home these days. You know how it is when you get a new / used car, Or for that matter another Maxima. This is my family's 4th Maxima - 3 are in the driveway right now....oooops only 2 ...the son's gone.

Welcome to the Maxima.org community! Your son got a great car.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:27 PM

I'd replace your valve cover gasket as soon as possible. A friend of mine got oil down in there on his plugs and when we tried to change them, the plugs broke off. Dealer charged $150 to drill em out. Welcome to the .org!
Old 10-13-2002, 04:11 PM
What's next!?..

Don't forget to change the spark plug tube seals too.
Old 10-13-2002, 04:18 PM

Dealer charged $150 to drill em out
Old 10-13-2002, 04:18 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I had never heard of this being done. Thanks for the tip and
I'll be sure to look for that with my next used car.

Cheers,

JK