4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch at the end of life?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 09:15 PM

Clutch at the end of life?

It seems that I have to let the pedal almost all the way up to engage
the clutch. Is my clutch wearing out? Also seems a bit jerky when engaging it. I read somewhere on here that the oem clutch is good, so probably use that for a replacement, but something about a nissan blue clutch that isn't? Does nissan make a couple different clutches for the max? Any knowledge would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:25 AM
I'm so hood

Sounds like you might just need your pedal adjusted. See a service manual for details (or perhaps search has something on that).

If it's not slipping then there's really no *need* to replace. You could test that by the old 5th gear test (going about 35-40, in 5th gear, floor the gas, and if the RPMs rise fairly quickly without your speed going anywhere, there you go).

if it's just jerky here and there it might be your disengagement - a high release point doesn't help as far as shifting smoothly with ease.
Old 10-18-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Clutch at the end of life?

Originally posted by 975spEEd
It seems that I have to let the pedal almost all the way up to engage
the clutch. Is my clutch wearing out? Also seems a bit jerky when engaging it. I read somewhere on here that the oem clutch is good, so probably use that for a replacement, but something about a nissan blue clutch that isn't? Does nissan make a couple different clutches for the max? Any knowledge would be appreciated, thanks.
Check out the 8th question on the page below. Use the search option for clutch info. Maximadriver.com also has good info on clutches.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....5&pagenumber=3
Old 10-18-2002, 07:40 AM

You should look into buying an Act clutch,it's great clutch and it grab like you couldn't believe.
Old 10-20-2002, 08:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by blizz20oma
Sounds like you might just need your pedal adjusted. See a service manual for details (or perhaps search has something on that).

If it's not slipping then there's really no *need* to replace. You could test that by the old 5th gear test (going about 35-40, in 5th gear, floor the gas, and if the RPMs rise fairly quickly without your speed going anywhere, there you go).

if it's just jerky here and there it might be your disengagement - a high release point doesn't help as far as shifting smoothly with ease.
blizz (or others) -

I did this test last night, and when I floored the gas, nothing really happened. My speed climbed VERY SLOWLY, but the RPMs stayed at 1.8k or so. Does this mean my clutch is fine?

I just started driving 5 speeds 3 months ago, so I'm a total amateur at my 24 years. Thanks!

Ashok
Old 10-20-2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by triax37

blizz (or others) -

I did this test last night, and when I floored the gas, nothing really happened. My speed climbed VERY SLOWLY, but the RPMs stayed at 1.8k or so. Does this mean my clutch is fine?

I just started driving 5 speeds 3 months ago, so I'm a total amateur at my 24 years. Thanks!

Ashok
The way i always looked at it was this, if your in gear and you floor it do your rpms go up before you start to accelerate alot? if they do your clutch is probably slipping.
Also a mechanic friend told me once on a flat road.. put your car in fifth and pull the ebrake. dump the clutch if your car stalls out your clutch is fine, if takes a bit to conk out your clutch isn't catching as quickly as it should. He was a toyota mechanic but i think its a pretty versitile test. hope this helps.
Also get an aftermarket clutch, I had a centerforce 2 and a lightened fly wheel in my wrangler and it would churp second like it was its job with 33's, its worth the investment in my mind
good luck
Old 10-20-2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma

I tried the 5th gear test today and it just accelerated very slowly
and the tach didn't jump, so I guess it's not as bad as I thought.
However it does feel like it slips if I slam it in to 2nd. Maybe
it's just starting to slip? I do think it needs to be ajusted
though. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Slightly off topic, but is there a "average" amount of miles before a clutch is replaced?
I'm just learning and want to know in case the clutch is fried whether it's me or just normal "wear and tear"
Old 10-21-2002, 07:28 PM

If your going that slow in 5th and you start to move and your RPMS stay the same, your fine, think about it, its low gear so it wont move you fast at all, but if it was slipping your rpms would just go up cause it wouldnt be engaged.