4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wierd steering thing and wierd noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 05:21 AM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

Wierd steering thing and wierd noise

Disclaimer:
I searched and read posts with similar issues, but I couldn't find one where the steering issue has been fixed, and I wonder if the noise is related.

I have a problem or two, and I am wondering if they might be related. sort of like this. Someone please review this and lend me an opinion.

I just did my springs and shocks yesterday. I noticed a slight rattling every once-in-a-while from the front right and once even less often from the back. The sounds annoy the crap out of me, and I have to get them gone. I got some vinyl tubing and coated the rear tires, and there is less noise coming from there, so I will continue on that route and hope spring isolation fixes the noise. The real reason I point the noise out is that I have another problem as well: When I got an alignment this morning, homeboy at Tire Kingdom pointed out that whichever way you turn the wheel, the car pulls in that direction after that. If you don't turn for a while, the car goes straight with no help. If you make a 90 degree turn, you will pull in that direction for a few minutes I found some other people who posted this problem - I hope at least one of you has figured it out and is willing to clue me in. Also, if these two are related, please let me know.

Now, as far as what I did - the red plastic washer/gasket looking jobs (I thought they were meant only to keep the top of the strut assembly from sqeaking on the metal, but I guess that is what previous posts are call a strut bearing?) I put back in place, but they looked a little dried out. Also, I lost one of the 15mm nuts from the top of my strut (the nuts that hold the strut to the body, not the assembly together), so I put a different nut with a washer under it until I can go to Nissan this morning - I couldn't find anyone in town who had the nut. I really don't think this would make too much of a difference, esp since the nut I lost is basically the nut and washer together in one piece. Anyway, I am getting the replacement nut at 7:30am this morning, and if that fixes it, then I will know to keep better track of them next time.

I am also going to order an a$$-ton more spring isolators and put them all over the place, anywhere where metal could even concievabley touch metal. I hope that will help the noise part. Once I get that nut, I guess I will loosen and retighten all of that stuff, including the one holding the strut assembly together, just to make sure anything I can do is done.

If nobody has figured it out the steering thing yet, I guess I can go fess up to the family mechanic that I have been playing with my car. He's a real wizard, so I guess I will know what the deal is if I have to take that route. I just really don't want to feel like a tool telling him that some part I installed is messing up and I need him to fix my d-i-y screw ups. Somebody please save me some face (and $)
Old 10-21-2002, 06:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Post your alignment specs. Something doesn't sound quite right.

The sturt bearing is grey in color, not red. It goes between the upper strut spring perch and the upper strut mount. Your best bet is to have replaced that when you did your spring/strut install.

The red paper gasket is just a seal. The Nissan one is garbage, your better off making a new one out of heavy duty gasket material. Just trace the old one or trace the top of the strut mount and make your own.

The front assembly has to go together in a specific alignment. The upper spring perch has the word OUT stamped on it. This must line up with the strut lower mounting bracket, all of which faces OUT. If you've got that wrong, your front springs will never seat correctly.

Which spring and shock combo are you using?

Tom
Old 10-21-2002, 08:32 AM

struts and stuff

I did the KYB AGX/Progress combo. And the outs on the perches do face out - I put the strut assemblies back together just as the haynes repair manual says to. Oh, and for reference, the nut that I had to replace didn't make an ounce of difference. Now, I did crank down more on the nut holding the whole assembly together (not holding the strut to the body), and it seemed to help a tiny bit. Could be hopeful imagination.

My alignment specs are:

Front toe: 0.1 degree left and right

Rear Toe: 0.15 degree left and right

Total toe: 0.2 degree

Rear Camber: -1 degree left, -.9 degree right

front camber: -.06 degree left and right

front caster: 2.5 degree left, 2.8 degree right

Thanks for helping me here. I realy appreciate it.

PS- yeah, that makes more sense about the red thing. I couldn't figure out how it would make a bit of functional difference.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:35 AM

Your alignment specs look fine. Your car should track pretty straight and your steering wheel should come back to center when you release it. Keep in mind that if your accellerating, your going to get some torque steer which may fight you and keep your steering wheel turned.

The Caster setting is what causes the steering to come back and your values look fine. There is no adjustment for that on our cars anyhow.

Check your tires for correct pressure.

The center nut on the strut shaft should be tightened to 50 ft/lbs. The 3 nuts holding the whole assy should be tightened to 35 ft/lbs.
Old 10-21-2002, 07:28 PM

Lesson

Okay, so I learned a big lesson here - to chill the f**k out! If you look for somethign to be wrong, you will always find it. The steering thing probably is because my tires are wider and the firmness is different, and I didn't know what to expect. Also, the 'spring noise' I heard? At first it was a little rattle, barely audible with the radio on, and I wrote it off as what everyone posts about. Today it got way worse. I couldn't figure out what it was, but now it sounded like it was coming from inside - it was. My freakin tire iron had slid under my seat (I still need to clean my car out) and was vibrating on the bracket . I heard spring noise because I was freaking out about the steering thing, when really there was no problem. I did everything right, except for worrying too much. But anyway, thanks for the help everyone
Old 10-21-2002, 07:37 PM

Re: Lesson

Originally posted by SlavDaddy
Also, the 'spring noise' I heard? At first it was a little rattle, barely audible with the radio on, and I wrote it off as what everyone posts about. Today it got way worse. I couldn't figure out what it was, but now it sounded like it was coming from inside - it was. My freakin tire iron had slid under my seat (I still need to clean my car out) and was vibrating on the bracket .
Thats a good one!

Glad we could help you out.