4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Convert to synthetic engine/tran oil @132K?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 06:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Convert to synthetic engine/tran oil @132K?

I've never used synthetics for the transmission or engine (have been using 10W/30) for all of the 132K miles on my '96. So far [knock on wood], it doesn't have any leaks. (Note: I've read through most of the posts and have been to the Mobil 1 website.) Is there any advantage in converting to a synthetic now? I love my max and plan to keep it for as long as she will have me. She runs fine, but I'm also wondering if I do convert, if it's a matter of a better mousetrap or if I'll actually notice better performance (e.g. shifting).
Old 10-18-2002, 07:01 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Convert to synthetic engine/tran oil @132K?

Originally posted by Rickalodeon
I've never used synthetics for the transmission or engine (have been using 10W/30) for all of the 132K miles on my '96. So far [knock on wood], it doesn't have any leaks. (Note: I've read through most of the posts and have been to the Mobil 1 website.) Is there any advantage in converting to a synthetic now? I love my max and plan to keep it for as long as she will have me. She runs fine, but I'm also wondering if I do convert, if it's a matter of a better mousetrap or if I'll actually notice better performance (e.g. shifting).

It's best to have your oil(s) analyzed first. Then, combined with an oil history/vehicle history, more informed conclusions can be made. If you would like to do so, please visit the link in my sig.
Old 10-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i was just on AMSOIL's web site the other day....in their words, using conventional oil for a long period (miles or years) may give you a false seals....meaning varnish/crud on the inside of the engine is keeping seals from leaking. They say the detergents in their oil will clean this varnish/crud off, and may bring out leaks that you don't already have...most likely would be like valve covers or the front main seal if I had to guess.

my $.02
Old 10-18-2002, 02:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by jbreit
i was just on AMSOIL's web site the other day....in their words, using conventional oil for a long period (miles or years) may give you a false seals....meaning varnish/crud on the inside of the engine is keeping seals from leaking. They say the detergents in their oil will clean this varnish/crud off, and may bring out leaks that you don't already have...most likely would be like valve covers or the front main seal if I had to guess.

my $.02
You bring up an interesting point...and a good case for leaving well enough alone. As much as I'd like to do an engine flush and/or change to synthetics, I'd hate to deal with an uncovered seal leak. Although, I suppose she'd like it better if I cleaned her out and bit the bullet on any leaks.

Thanks for the $.02
Old 10-18-2002, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by jbreit

my $.02
Wow, someone who does research. Thank you for not saying synthetic causes leaks because it is thinner than conventional oil.