4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Amsoil Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 06:47 PM

Amsoil Oil Filter

I am concerned about the size of the AMSOIL oil filter for my 97 Maxima. The correct filter size according to the AMSOIL website and AMSOIL technition I spoke to on the phone is the SDF 13. This filter is considerably smaller than the OEM oil filter.

I have purchased several other AMSOIL oil filters for different vehicles including a Toyota and Audi. These filters were approximately the same size as the OEM.

I am using extended drain intervals according to AMSOIL recommendations and do not want to damage my engine by using a filter that is too small. At the same time I like AMSOIL products and would like to use their filter. Anyone have any expertise with oil filters that can shed some light on this?
Old 10-19-2002, 02:04 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Amsoil Oil Filter

Originally posted by VQMaxSE
I am concerned about the size of the AMSOIL oil filter for my 97 Maxima. The correct filter size according to the AMSOIL website and AMSOIL technition I spoke to on the phone is the SDF 13. This filter is considerably smaller than the OEM oil filter.

I have purchased several other AMSOIL oil filters for different vehicles including a Toyota and Audi. These filters were approximately the same size as the OEM.

I am using extended drain intervals according to AMSOIL recommendations and do not want to damage my engine by using a filter that is too small. At the same time I like AMSOIL products and would like to use their filter. Anyone have any expertise with oil filters that can shed some light on this?

You have good reason to be concerned. I believe the SDF-13 is too tiny as well AND WAY too expensive for what it does.

There is one alternative that is bigger and still has an acceptable bypass pressure valve rating (around 20psi): the SDF-20

In addition, you *can* use the SDF-36 filter. It is a bit bigger than the SDF-20, but its pressure valve rating is lower, in the 8 to 10psi range (stock OEM filter is in the 14psi range). I personally don't recommend it but can't say with clarity that it shouldn't be used.

Also, I found the STP S6941 at AutoZone is the largest filter that has an acceptable bypass valve pressure rating (around 20psi).

Based on your need for using long drain intervals I would use the STP S6941 filter and change it every 4 months or so.

Please follow the link in my sig and contact me if you are interested in analyzing your oil.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Amsoil Oil Filter

Originally posted by bill99gxe

You have good reason to be concerned. I believe the SDF-13 is too tiny as well AND WAY too expensive for what it does.

There is one alternative that is bigger and still has an acceptable bypass pressure valve rating (around 20psi): the SDF-20

In addition, you *can* use the SDF-36 filter. It is a bit bigger than the SDF-20, but its pressure valve rating is lower, in the 8 to 10psi range (stock OEM filter is in the 14psi range). I personally don't recommend it but can't say with clarity that it shouldn't be used.
Bill, even though your signature says that you're an "evil moderator," I just wanted you to know that I think you're a big, fluffy, teddy bear.

I previously dubbed Ben Garner as "Moderatoris Extremis." I now dub thee, bill99gxe, Moderatoris Gentilis, for your touching concern about the status of everyone's motor oil and motor condition.
Old 10-19-2002, 05:13 PM

The SDF 13 is tiny, but for what it's worth, there is a warranty on any failures which could be attributed to their products. I don't exactly subscribe to Bill's method of using a cheap filter and changing it really frequently. If you are that uncomfortable about using the SDF 13, I would consider a Mobil 1 filter instead.

Bill: Has anyone actually tried to fit a SDF 20 on a VQ yet? Just curious, I still have two SDF 44's sitting in my garage
Old 10-20-2002, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by iwannabmw
The SDF 13 is tiny, but for what it's worth, there is a warranty on any failures which could be attributed to their products. I don't exactly subscribe to Bill's method of using a cheap filter and changing it really frequently. If you are that uncomfortable about using the SDF 13, I would consider a Mobil 1 filter instead.

Bill: Has anyone actually tried to fit a SDF 20 on a VQ yet? Just curious, I still have two SDF 44's sitting in my garage
Mark,

I need to order some oil from you in the near future from you anyway for dad's TL and my Maxes, so if you don't mind holding on to the SDF-44s for a month or two I'll just buy them off of you, as those are the only oversized filters for the J32 Honda V6's I can find.

As for the SDF-20, there is at least one I know of using it on a VQ, but they don't frequent this board. I can tell you the dimensions are appropriate and the thread type is M20 x 1.5, unlike the SDF-44 which is a bit too wide. They should fit fine, and I have seen a confirmation.

What's really sad is I can find out for you in 5 minutes as I have a SDF-20 in the garage and a VQ Maxima in there as well. But I am still trying to prove the 1 year/6 month oil change intervals in consecutive years of use and compare the wear levels to last years numbers on the 99.

One irrefutable fact about the SDF-13: it's only optimally rated for 20 microns, as are the SuperTech and STP filters. The Mobil 1 is rated for 10 microns, and the Bosch filters are rated for 15 microns. What "rated" means is subjective, as it is allowed for interpretation by the major filter manufacturers. However, Champion Labs tech guys have been helpful in rating the micron efficiency of the Mobil, Bosch, and STP/SuperTech filters. Obviously, cost goes up as micron ratings go down, except for the case of Amsoil.

Baldwin reps revealed the 20 micron rating of the Amsoil filters, since they are the OEM of them. I think by and large Amsoil filters are overpriced for what you get. The warranty is the only thing that seperates them from the others.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:06 PM

Mark,

I need to order some oil from you in the near future from you anyway for dad's TL and my Maxes, so if you don't mind holding on to the SDF-44s for a month or two I'll just buy them off of you, as those are the only oversized filters for the J32 Honda V6's I can find.

One irrefutable fact about the SDF-13: it's only optimally rated for 20 microns, as are the SuperTech and STP filters. The Mobil 1 is rated for 10 microns, and the Bosch filters are rated for 15 microns. What "rated" means is subjective, as it is allowed for interpretation by the major filter manufacturers. However, Champion Labs tech guys have been helpful in rating the micron efficiency of the Mobil, Bosch, and STP/SuperTech filters. Obviously, cost goes up as micron ratings go down, except for the case of Amsoil.

Baldwin reps revealed the 20 micron rating of the Amsoil filters, since they are the OEM of them. I think by and large Amsoil filters are overpriced for what you get. The warranty is the only thing that seperates them from the others.
No problem on the SDF 44's, I know people with Prelude's who want them, so it's not like I'm stuck with them.

I'm curious about what the Baldwin rep said. I will double check this earlier next week, but I believe Amsoil's filters are 94% efficient at removing particles in the 18-20 micron range and 65% efficient at removing 10 micron particles. Mobil 1 only says that their filters are 96% efficient at removing particles in the 10-20 micron range. Stealing someone elses math, that could mean their filters could only be 50% efficient at 10 microns and 99% efficient at 20 microns.

With regards to the moly issue and Supersyn that had you wondering: I heard an add last night that mentioned the rings on the VQ35's were coated with moly. Every analysis I've seen on either a VQ30DE-K or VQ35DE has had at least some moly in it, even though people have claimed to always have used an oil that the baseline say contains no moly. I wonder if the commercial I heard explains some of the results, though I will admit exunaja's number does seem pretty high to be only coming from the rings.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:00 PM

I can't provide any direct data regarding the SDF 13, but I am currently at 7k on my Amsoil 10W30. I put on my second SDF 13 at 5,000 miles and plan on changing my oil at 10k. When I sent in my Mobil1 for analysis at Blackstone I requested more containers, but never received any
I'd really like to get my oil tested again because it has at least 10 1/4 mile runs, 2 autocrosses, and plenty of highway miles. I'm very happy with my Amsoil, and since I live in a dorm it's great to have extended drain intervals.
-hype
Old 10-20-2002, 06:44 PM

No problem on the SDF 44's, I know people with Prelude's who want them, so it's not like I'm stuck with them.

Hmmmm....could that be the member name that starts with a g and ends with a d?

I'm curious about what the Baldwin rep said. I will double check this earlier next week, but I believe Amsoil's filters are 94% efficient at removing particles in the 18-20 micron range and 65% efficient at removing 10 micron particles. Mobil 1 only says that their filters are 96% efficient at removing particles in the 10-20 micron range. Stealing someone elses math, that could mean their filters could only be 50% efficient at 10 microns and 99% efficient at 20 microns.

That's what I HATE about the micron ratings......straight answers are damn near impossible to come by. The Champion rep, IMO, put it best and was being "relative" to the paper medias abilities and stating different micron ratings of each brand filter (M1, STP/SuperTech, Bosch). I'm surprised SuperTech's ratings are in the STP category seeing as how SuperTech filters use a full synthetic media like the Mobil 1 filters. Maybe they are stated as such for a reason....

The Baldwin rep's answer surprised me somewhat. I *think* the 10 micron ability of the Amsoil was around 50%, but have no idea about 15 microns, which I would expect to be in the 60 to 70% category. The paper media is a synthetic/celluose mix.

With regards to the moly issue and Supersyn that had you wondering: I heard an add last night that mentioned the rings on the VQ35's were coated with moly. Every analysis I've seen on either a VQ30DE-K or VQ35DE has had at least some moly in it, even though people have claimed to always have used an oil that the baseline say contains no moly. I wonder if the commercial I heard explains some of the results, though I will admit exunaja's number does seem pretty high to be only coming from the rings.

From the 7 5th gens on the board who have shared readings, only the ones who have used SuperSyn are seeing moly in any form (Stevie's [srbarnes4ever] numbers in the 2k1 Maxima all but prove the moly is from the SuperSyn, as the Amsoil he was running showed no trace of moly). If any VQ 3.5 people would bother sending in a sample, then we could get a better idea if the moly coatings on the rings in those engines is a reality.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
I can't provide any direct data regarding the SDF 13, but I am currently at 7k on my Amsoil 10W30. I put on my second SDF 13 at 5,000 miles and plan on changing my oil at 10k. When I sent in my Mobil1 for analysis at Blackstone I requested more containers, but never received any
I'd really like to get my oil tested again because it has at least 10 1/4 mile runs, 2 autocrosses, and plenty of highway miles. I'm very happy with my Amsoil, and since I live in a dorm it's great to have extended drain intervals.
-hype

Hype,

If you need one, just shoot me an e-mail when the time gets close. I'll send you a spare container if need be. Blackstone (as usual) is backed up with sample container requests. I seem to be the only one that literally doesn't have a problem getting containers (it's the least they can do considering the amount of business I've shoved their way ).
Old 10-20-2002, 08:18 PM

Hmmmm....could that be the member name that starts with a g and ends with a d?

[/B]
He's one of them

it's the least they can do considering the amount of business I've shoved their way
There it is, Bill admitting he gets kickbacks from Blackstone. The spreadsheet is tainted!!
Old 10-20-2002, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
-hype
What did you end up doing with the gallon of 5W-30 that mysteriously showed up at your door?
Old 10-20-2002, 10:28 PM

What did you end up doing with the gallon of 5W-30 that mysteriously showed up at your door?
I'll email you.
-hype
Old 10-21-2002, 06:20 AM

There it is, Bill admitting he gets kickbacks from Blackstone. The spreadsheet is tainted!!