4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A pop or a click is heard when steering wheel is turned at a stop.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2002, 09:27 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

A pop or a click is heard when steering wheel is turned at a stop.

I just noticed this today...

When I turn my steering wheel a little bit to either direction, while stopped. I hear a single loud click or a pop...

I know that CV joints would give a bunch of clicking noises while taking turns... but this is on a dead stop, not moving anywhere, just turning the steering wheel...

I am guessing this is the Tie Rod Ends...
What do you guys think?

what else can it possibly be, it's definately related to the steering column somehow..

also...
my car vibrates up and down on uneven surface, say where the street is unpaved.. it's kind of like having blown struts but not really... it feels fine going over single bumps but on very tiny, uneven ones it's just hopping up and down.. what is that?

but i'm more interested in the pop heard when steering wheel is turned...

thanks!
Old 10-19-2002, 12:16 AM
living out of a maxima...

Re: A pop or a click is heard when steering wheel is turned at a stop.

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I just noticed this today...

When I turn my steering wheel a little bit to either direction, while stopped. I hear a single loud click or a pop...

I know that CV joints would give a bunch of clicking noises while taking turns... but this is on a dead stop, not moving anywhere, just turning the steering wheel...

I am guessing this is the Tie Rod Ends...
What do you guys think?

what else can it possibly be, it's definately related to the steering column somehow..

yes! my car also goes pop. it sounds sort of metallic, between a pop and a ding. it makes a similar sound sometimes when I hit harsh bumps.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:31 AM

Re: Re: A pop or a click is heard when steering wheel is turned at a stop.

Originally posted by JeffesonM

yes! my car also goes pop. it sounds sort of metallic, between a pop and a ding. it makes a similar sound sometimes when I hit harsh bumps.
If this is related to the steering system, it can be a serious problem in terms of safety.

How many miles do you have on your car?

Tie rod ends are basically a wear and tear type item... So I'm thinking it is just time for them to go.. I just want to make sure what it is.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

similar problem

I have a similar problem, i got my cv joints replaced last year so i know its not them, but when i turn i hear a slight clicking noise...its alot quieter then when my cv joints went but the noise is similar. it only happens when i turn at slow speeds like parking and its not very loud but i notice it.
Old 10-19-2002, 08:02 AM

Mine does have the *clunk clunk* sound while moving and not moving, but you can only hear it clearly while not moving obviously..

I think its the CV Joint making the sound?
Old 10-19-2002, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Me too. Only moving under 5mph, very quiet, only when going left, passenger side.

I assumed it was almost time for a new CV myself, but I took my wheels apart and inspected them, and they look fine.

I'll probably just be lazy and drop it off at the dealer. They're dying to play with a SC'ed Max anyway. (A buddy of mine works there).

IanS
Old 10-19-2002, 09:55 AM

more......

Ok, i just messed around with it for a little while...

I also compared it to my dads 98 GXE.

Can someone try this..
Pop the hood, start the car and have someone turn the steering wheel while you are parked and the car is on.. while you listen under the hood. There is a *clunk* *clunk* noise that happens everytime you turn the steering wheel. This happens on my dads 98 and my 97, although my 97 has more of a clunk noise while his is a slight click, which sounds more normal.

I "think" this is some kind of valve related to the power steering column which opens and closes, possibly letting some fluid in and out, or even air which is probably normal.

although I never heard this noise while on the move, I did have it on my 3rd gen long time ago, even after i replaced the CV joints...

This can be the tie rod ends.. which I checked by the way and they seem fine and don't have any free play.

I get really paranoid when I hear ANY strange or unnatural sounding noise in my cars.. lol
Old 10-19-2002, 03:59 PM

My steering does the same thing everybody else's does. I even replaced the inner tie rods (outters r perfect) but it still does it which makes me believe it's just Maxima related. The next time I work (Nissan Dealer) I'm gonna take out one of the used Maxes out and see if it does it too. These strange noises always freak me out.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:37 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Sounds like a strut bearing to me.
Old 10-19-2002, 10:06 PM

I started hearing a similar noise 3 days ago. I just changed my suspension a week ago to H&R's w/Tok Blues. Funny thing is that right after I did my suspension, the steering wheel was a little off, had to turn a bit right to keep the car straight. Then the other night I did a few reverse donuts in a parking lot. Now my steering is dead on straight, but I hear that knock when I turn at slow speeds. Happens when turning in reverse too. I'm hoping it's just something loose that I can tighten down, but not sure. I know I need an allignment too.