4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Adjusting the clutch pedal.. how high is yours set?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 10:04 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Adjusting the clutch pedal.. how high is yours set?

I was just messing with the height of the clutch pedal, it is really easy to adjust. It feels like a whole different car with the pedal set lower, however the grabbing point feels to be later..

How high is your clutch pedal set in comparison to the brake pedal?

Mine is now a bit lower than the brake pedal.
It feels a lot tighter now though and has NO free play.. I read that you can also adjust the freeplay in the clutch but if it's the bolt that goes to the master cylinder, i can't get to it..

Can having the height of the clutch pedal really low be harmful to the clutch in any way? It's a lot stiffer now and I am stomping it with my foot instead of slowly depressing it..
Old 10-19-2002, 10:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Adjusting the clutch pedal.. how high is yours set?

My clutch pedal is higher than the brake pedal. You just have to make sure that when you fully depress the clutch that its completely let out (no grinding). I'd like mine a little lower too.

Old 10-19-2002, 10:22 AM

Steve you need some free play in the clutch or you will wear out some bearings. My clutch is at the height of my brake pedal.
Old 10-19-2002, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by SonicDust187
Steve you need some free play in the clutch or you will wear out some bearings. My clutch is at the height of my brake pedal.
ditto
Old 10-19-2002, 11:25 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Adjusting the clutch pedal.. how high is yours set?

Originally posted by TaTaToothy
My clutch pedal is higher than the brake pedal. You just have to make sure that when you fully depress the clutch that its completely let out (no grinding). I'd like mine a little lower too.

since you're clutch has that metal covering there... do your feet ever slip?? I had that problem w/ the STOCK pedals and changed em for better grip.
Old 10-19-2002, 03:40 PM
Dev

my clutch is the same height as my brake pedal, but i'd like to have it a lot lower
do you guys have to lift ur heel to depress the pedal and shift?
cause i do.
and do you guys depress the cluth ALL the way to the floor when shifting?
Old 10-19-2002, 05:22 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Dev
my clutch is the same height as my brake pedal, but i'd like to have it a lot lower
do you guys have to lift ur heel to depress the pedal and shift?
cause i do.
and do you guys depress the cluth ALL the way to the floor when shifting?
Usually, yeah i do have to depress all the way, but you can get that feeling of the car where u don't have to do it all the way...
Old 10-19-2002, 10:44 PM
Sports Button FTW

my clutch pedal is kind of high but it feels so much better than my last total car i'm never gonna adjust it, just keep it cause its not bad at all
Old 10-19-2002, 11:39 PM

Update...

DO NOT LOWER IT TOO FAR IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A NEW CLUTCH...

I did it, drove fine for a few blocks.. then it got considerably stiffer...

later on, was driving and it felt like my clutch was not gripping and was slipping like crazy.. I was in gear, i let the clutch out fully and car would still not grab well, i had to almost floor the gas pedal for it to move... Basically, the small height of the pedal prevented the clutch from going out completely and therefore grabbing... so it was like i was riding with my clutch slightly depressed all this time i'm an idiot..

well, i got it adjusted right back to where it was, only a tiny bit lower, so it is on the same level as the brake pedal.. feels better..

i thought it takes getting used to, but even though the move of the clutch is really small, it is a ***** because there is no freeplay, it's still as hell and the point where it grabs is really delayed..
Old 10-19-2002, 11:56 PM
Dev

i'd like to lower my pedal to about 1/2 way, cause i think its way too high, but i don't want it to affect driving...as you said about not grabbing properly.
its not worth doing if i get problems...and i can't afford any problems right now
so i guess ill just have to leave it where it is and live with pushing the pedal 1 1/2 feet everytime...
Old 10-20-2002, 12:12 AM

Originally posted by Dev
i'd like to lower my pedal to about 1/2 way, cause i think its way too high, but i don't want it to affect driving...as you said about not grabbing properly.
its not worth doing if i get problems...and i can't afford any problems right now
so i guess ill just have to leave it where it is and live with pushing the pedal 1 1/2 feet everytime...
don't get me wrong..
you can definately lower it if it feels like it has way too much freeplay, and it is above your brake pedal..

but, in my case.. my clutch is quite a bit worn already, so it's grabbing point is a bit later than it would probably be if the clutch was new..
so when i lowered it, i lowered it a little PAST the grabbing point basically not allowing it to fully grab when the pedal is let go of completely lol....
I suggest, adjust it, then drive for like 10 miles and see if it grabs well.. if yes, then you are fine.. if no, then u should raise it up a little bit...

I have not experienced this yet, but
i would ossume the point where the clutch starts grabbing is getting higher and higher as the clutch gets more worn.... so setting the height lower, while it needs to be let out higher to engage = no sense... you are basically preventing it to fully engage....

it scared the **** out of me when it did not hook up....