4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Flashing check engine light while driving and then code 05-05, Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Flashing check engine light while driving and then code 05-05, Help.

This morning when I started my car it definatly seemed to be idling and running a little rough. I only drove it a few minutes when the check engine light came on. I drove slowly to work and a few times the CEL started flashing. The flashing seemed to happen during hard acceleration.

I reset the ECU before I drove home and it did the same thing, CEL and occasionaly flashing CEL. I checked the code according to the directions in the sticky and got 05-05 'No Failure Recorded/Detected'. WTF there is definatly some sort of problem, why won't the ECU tell me what it is?

From searching I see a few people have said that a flashing CEL indicates a cylinder misfire , is that true? Should I not drive the car until I can get it fixed?
Old 10-22-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: Flashing check engine light while driving and then code 05-05, Help.

Originally posted by Anachronism
From searching I see a few people have said that a flashing CEL indicates a cylinder misfire , is that true? Should I not drive the car until I can get it fixed? [/B]
I think it IS a mis-fire...happened to me...ended up replacing
an injector (it was stuck open)...you can drive the car, just
not at highway speeds...AND GET IT FIXED ASAP!!!

FLO_BOY
Old 10-22-2002, 01:59 PM

Does a stuck injector usually trigger the 'all clear' code? Are there any other problems that could trigger this code? Should I bring it to a Nissan dealer or would a regular shop be able to diagnose and fix my problem?
Old 10-22-2002, 03:28 PM

Does a stuck injector usually trigger the 'all clear' code? Are there any other problems that could trigger this code? Should I bring it to a Nissan dealer or would a regular shop be able to diagnose and fix my problem?
I don't believe that I received an "all clear" code...i was a while ago tho...altho, I think I have a coil pack problem and I'm not receiving all of those codes either...

I took my car to two Nissan dealers (don't ask...f'ing crooks!), but
I think a GOOD shop can find the issue no problem...

hope this helps (prolly doesn't)...
FLO_BOY
Old 10-26-2002, 10:27 PM
pjalst

Re: Flashing check engine light while driving and then code 05-05, Help.

This morning when I started my car it definatly seemed to be idling and running a little rough. I only drove it a few minutes when the check engine light came on. I drove slowly to work and a few times the CEL started flashing. The flashing seemed to happen during hard acceleration.

I reset the ECU before I drove home and it did the same thing, CEL and occasionaly flashing CEL. I checked the code according to the directions in the sticky and got 05-05 'No Failure Recorded/Detected'. WTF there is definatly some sort of problem, why won't the ECU tell me what it is?

From searching I see a few people have said that a flashing CEL indicates a cylinder misfire , is that true? Should I not drive the car until I can get it fixed?

I get 0505 also. My problem is a little different. When my check engine light first can on(a few months ago)the car ran a little sluggist and was very noisy. I get the 0505 code which is supposed to mean 'No Failure Recorded/Detected'.There was obviously some failure because the car ran like S#!t. Once I cleared the code, the car ran like normal. Two weeks or so later the same thing happens. I reset it and it was back to normal again.WTF? this has been going on for 2 months now,I have to reset the ECU every one - two weeks. what is going on here? If I get an error code I can get the problem fixed,but I keep getting 0505 'No Failure Recorded/Detected'. Anyone else have this problem?

Old 10-27-2002, 08:01 AM

Well after I cleared it the CEL came back with the codes 02-01 and 06-03, 'ignition signal circut' and 'cylinder 6 misfire' respectivly. I think the first time I checked the codes I may have accidently cleared them out first , and that is why I got the 05-05.

I thought the problem was a coil pack but that was not it. My car is now at the Nissan dealer. They tell me it is a short in the engine wireing harness that will take some time to track down - at $66 an hour .
Old 10-27-2002, 06:39 PM

05-05 code

According to Nissan, MIL Code 0505: No Failure,(NO SELF DIAGNOSTIC FAILURE INDICATED...) *no malfunction related to OBD system is detected by both ECM and A/T control unit.

* OBD = On Board Diagnostic system

Sorry, I know this isnt much help, But if you take it to Nissan this is what they are going to tell you. If you get any more codes let me know and I'll try to look them up.