4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

changed plugs&fuel filter WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 10:08 AM

changed plugs&fuel filter WOW!!

after noticing that my maxima just didnt have the acceleration it used to, i decided to go get some plugs and a fuel filter over at kragen. got some regular bosch plats 1.99ea and a fram fuel filter 11.98

let me tell you changing the fuel filter jacked my hand all up!
plugs went smooth tho.

well, after i was all done my car idled poorly i was thinking oh no! i took it around the block, and it seemed like it had more power non the less. but it was hesitating on take off and had a jerky idle. well i get back to my driveway pop my hood, prop my broom stick in because my shocks dont work. and im fishing around in there...oops forgot to plug in the coil pack on the 3rd to right coil on intake manifold. plug it in, start her up ahhhhhh yess, she's smooth as ice!... take it around the block and to my proving grounds. i go ahead and take her through her paces....damn, i think i re-gained about 30hp no bull****. i had forgotten what kinda power this thing had. i just thought all this time my spec v was just a beast. but no...the vq gots pull too! well, anyways the car has 56,000 miles on it and always made a stuttering noise going up hills or under a load since about 45,000 that noise is gone now as well! musta had a clogged fuel filter or something. but anyways.....to anyone with around the milage i have and feeling powerloss man...this was the biggest performance gain ive ever felt besides nos on my old 92 se. just thought id share my renewed love affair with my maxima.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: changed plugs&fuel filter WOW!!

Originally posted by Nissan2k2specV
after noticing that my maxima just didnt have the acceleration it used to, i decided to go get some plugs and a fuel filter over at kragen. got some regular bosch plats 1.99ea and a fram fuel filter 11.98
You made only 1 cirtical mistake with the parts you baught.

Bosch Plugs -

NGK are the only plugs you should use in our direct ignition VQ motors. Isn't there enough reading material on the orgy stating that already?

Keep your eyes on the Bosch plugs. Some cars tend to eat them up pretty quickly, while others have good luck with them.

Which one will you be?
Old 10-22-2002, 10:57 AM

let me tell you changing the fuel filter jacked my hand all up!
plugs went smooth tho.

well, after i was all done my car idled poorly i was thinking oh no! i took it around the block, and it seemed like it had more power non the less. but it was hesitating on take off and had a jerky idle. well i get back to my driveway pop my hood, prop my broom stick in because my shocks dont work. and im fishing around in there...oops forgot to plug in the coil pack on the 3rd to right coil on intake manifold. plug it in, start her up ahhhhhh yess, she's smooth as ice!... take it around the block and to my proving grounds. i go ahead and take her through her paces....damn, i think i re-gained about 30hp no bull****. i had forgotten what kinda power this thing had. i just thought all this time my spec v was just a beast. but no...the vq gots pull too! well, anyways the car has 56,000 miles on it and always made a stuttering noise going up hills or under a load since about 45,000 that noise is gone now as well! musta had a clogged fuel filter or something. but anyways.....to anyone with around the milage i have and feeling powerloss man...this was the biggest performance gain ive ever felt besides nos on my old 92 se. just thought id share my renewed love affair with my maxima.
Dude I don't know how well you know your car but it was running on 5 cylinders. I don't know what kind of power you felt when you say it had a "jerky idle" and "seemed like it had more power". The car would have been much slower and shaking like its having a heart attack.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Bosch
Old 10-22-2002, 11:14 AM
pjalst

Re: Re: changed plugs&fuel filter WOW!!

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

You made only 1 cirtical mistake with the parts you baught.

Bosch Plugs -

NGK are the only plugs you should use in our direct ignition VQ motors. Isn't there enough reading material on the orgy stating that already?

Keep your eyes on the Bosch plugs. Some cars tend to eat them up pretty quickly, while others have good luck with them.

Which one will you be?
My Mechanic told me the same thing. I bought my car used and it came with Bosch plugs in it. Once I changed back to the NGK I noticed a difference.

Old 10-22-2002, 11:23 AM

i ran bosch plats exclusively on my 92 se ve30de, now i know its not the same motor. but alot of the basics are still in place on the vq. i never had a problem with bosch plats on my ve and i had jwt ecu/nos/popcharger/y-pipe/greddy exhaust/port & polished heads. i dont see why i would on the vq. if i do its cheap enough to replace them. i dont race my 98 at all. its just an ***/grocery/kids hauler. in case some of you didnt read it correctly, the car was running on 5 right after replacing the plugs cus i forgot to plug in one of the coil packs...it actually ran pretty well concidering that. just the idle was poor. but what i was getting at is that was how slow my car felt prior to changing plugs/fuel filter. now it feels brand new again....oh well, i hope i get the same good luck ive always had in the past with the bosch's
Old 10-22-2002, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Trust me .. its a huge difference..

i ran bosch plats exclusively on my 92 se ve30de, now i know its not the same motor. but alot of the basics are still in place on the vq. i never had a problem with bosch plats on my ve and i had jwt ecu/nos/popcharger/y-pipe/greddy exhaust/port & polished heads. i dont see why i would on the vq. if i do its cheap enough to replace them. i dont race my 98 at all. its just an ***/grocery/kids hauler. in case some of you didnt read it correctly, the car was running on 5 right after replacing the plugs cus i forgot to plug in one of the coil packs...it actually ran pretty well concidering that. just the idle was poor. but what i was getting at is that was how slow my car felt prior to changing plugs/fuel filter. now it feels brand new again....oh well, i hope i get the same good luck ive always had in the past with the bosch's
Old 10-22-2002, 11:29 AM

so are you saying i would notice even more improvement if i would have put in a new set of ngk's vs the boschs? or are referring to longevity?
Old 10-22-2002, 11:51 AM
Administrator

so are you saying i would notice even more improvement if i would have put in a new set of ngk's vs the boschs? or are referring to longevity?
mid to upper rpm range performance will be increased..

i use NGK Coppers.. those are even better than NGK Plats

The Nissan Part # for these plugs are 22401 - 50Y05. you can walk into any Nissan Dealership and give them this part number for these copper plugs. The NGK name for the plugs are NGK V-Power Copper BKR5E-11

Old 10-22-2002, 12:01 PM

vq must have a more serious ignition system than the ve because i tryed everything from autolites to beru silverstones on the maxima i couldnt tell one differance....well, except once. i bought ac delco cold plugs and my nos ran like ****. the jwt ecu would bog out on those plugs..
Old 10-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Administrator

vq must have a more serious ignition system than the ve because i tryed everything from autolites to beru silverstones on the maxima i couldnt tell one differance....well, except once. i bought ac delco cold plugs and my nos ran like ****. the jwt ecu would bog out on those plugs..
does the VE have direct ignition or does it use plug wires?
Old 10-22-2002, 12:06 PM

its direct just like the vq, only differance is...it has an adjustment for timing like a distributer in the same spot a distributor would be, made by hitachi so i guess its a distributor of some sort. but the coil packs look almost identical on the back side. of the engine (intake side) fronts are different more slim line to fit the cover over i guess. the ve just has the coil packs with no cover over it.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

arghhhhhhhhhhh...fram and bosch!? please...kill me
Old 10-22-2002, 01:17 PM
Sports Button FTW

my totaled max was running terribly with bad idles and all, i blamed it on my trans and so many other things. Before accident i replaced spark plugs to NGK and found out i had some burnt *** super bosh plugs in there, not even the plats! Car idle was smoother than my cousins 2k2 camry, power was back up there, the right spark plugs make a major difference

AND I HAVE SOME HOOD STRUTS FOR SALE IF U NEED SOME!!!!
Old 10-22-2002, 02:54 PM
pjalst

I noticed the difference immediately. Car sounds and runs better

Old 10-22-2002, 03:08 PM

If you really want to see the difference then try swapping the NGK's inthere and see the difference. Then you can keep the Bosch's as a backup if you want or even toss them away. It is at worse an 8 doallar mistake.

SuDZ
Old 10-22-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble
my totaled max was running terribly with bad idles and all, i blamed it on my trans and so many other things. Before accident i replaced spark plugs to NGK and found out i had some burnt *** super bosh plugs in there, not even the plats! Car idle was smoother than my cousins 2k2 camry, power was back up there, the right spark plugs make a major difference

AND I HAVE SOME HOOD STRUTS FOR SALE IF U NEED SOME!!!!
damn, i just bought soem hood struts from autozone today, 20bux ea.
hey i think im gonna cruise on the bosches for a couple weeks, then switch to the ngk coppers that sprint reccomends, i will follow up here in a couple weeks with my sotp findings...also we (friend & i) are suppossed to be dynoing his spec v at aebs to test the production header for the qr25de maybe i can throw the max on there for ****s n giggles. get some dyno proof.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:54 PM

you used a FRAM filter? FRAM WIX or OEM only
oh and i've had my bosch platinums in for a month and a half now including my dyno and the car has felt fine. (dont flame me, i didnt have the cash on me for the NGKs or i would have gotten them)

Trevor
Old 10-22-2002, 07:16 PM

oh, now im starting to take all of this with a grain of salt. what could possibly be better about nissans fuel filter to frams.
Old 10-22-2002, 07:42 PM

oh, now im starting to take all of this with a grain of salt. what could possibly be better about nissans fuel filter to frams.
not sure about fuel filter but for oil filter

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...oil_filter.htm

http://www.motorvate.ca/auto/maxima/...gas_filter.htm
Old 10-22-2002, 08:20 PM

Both. But since you just got new Bosch plugs, I'd wait to change them out with NGK until they're ready. Like 10k miles
Old 10-22-2002, 10:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just changed my plugs, but next time i guess i'll try copper.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:43 PM

why is the copper ngk plugs better, i remember reading b/c it sparks better, do you notice the same performance between copper ngk and platinum ngk , any difference in performance between the two besides changing the copper ones more4 frequently

On my max now i been using bosh platinum +4 for about 9months and think my car is slow , i dont know if its because i use the bosch plugs b/c i changed them as soon as i got the car, I was thinking my car lacked pick up because maybe the engines old , 95 with 115k , but i'm not sure if that makes a difference, i recently changed the knock sensor and still did not notice any improvement in pick up
Old 10-22-2002, 10:52 PM

dude....you live in NYC i hope you change your fuel filter every 25k living where you do. if you dont thats most likely your problem...also from what i read, the +4's are the ones everyone is havin problems with...i just got the regular plats.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:02 PM

when i first got the car in january, 9 months ago , i did a full tune up , spark plugs, oil, fuel filter, pcv valve,air filter , and now knock sensor, I dont know if my max drives like any other max b/c i never drove another max besides my fathers 2000 which feels like a jet compaired to my car, all i know is that everyone tells me wow your car should be fast and I'm like No

do any of you fellow max owners recommend that i change to the ngks
which one platinum or copper, i know people say copper so then why do people still put the ngk platinums in their car when the copper ones run better, or should i just keep these bosh plugs int here longer , it only been in there so far for 10k

what problems do people have more with the bosch platinum +4 then from the regular bosh

thanks guys for your info
Old 10-22-2002, 11:05 PM

Has your car been this slow since the day you got it or is this something that has developed recently?
Old 10-22-2002, 11:50 PM

I tried using Bosch plugs for a while with my Nitrous....and they made th N20 surge REALLY bad....once I switched back to NGKs...everything was perfect.

Old 10-23-2002, 05:22 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by 95seMax
do any of you fellow max owners recommend that i change to the ngks
which one platinum or copper, i know people say copper so then why do people still put the ngk platinums in their car when the copper ones run better, or should i just keep these bosh plugs int here longer , it only been in there so far for 10k
the reason everyone suggest plat over copper is because thats why the maxima comes with.. and everyone feels that if thats what they come with.. thats what you should use.. that and the dealer gets a nice killing off you when they put in Plat Plugs..

Bosch +4's have been known to cause hesitation.. sluggishness.. lack of mid and high power.. i suggest you change to NGK Copper ASAP .. BKR5E-11
Old 10-23-2002, 05:40 AM

Here are my findings:
- Any new plug is better than plugs that have been in for a while
- I just changed from the +4s to NGK last weekend and there really was a huge difference. The old +4s had about 25K on them and the motor response had become very sluggish. I have always been an advocate of the +4s until now. The change to NGKs brought back the motor response
- The Bosch +4s will work fine in the short run, but the NGK platinums will produce more low to mid range torque - and that is where I do most of my driving
- The NGKs might perform better because of their design and because you can vary the gap. I do lots of city driving, so I gapped them at the largest setting - .043 for more power down low. The +4s have a fixed gap so your performance is limited to the factory setting.
- No matter what plug you use, keep an eye on engine performance to determine when to change them. Even with platinum plugs I wouldn't keep them in the motor for the recommended 60K. The electrodes may last that long, but the insulators take a beating in that many miles and engine performance will suffer
Old 10-23-2002, 09:27 AM
RodolfoGraziani

double platinum autolite plugs

Uhh, I just put in my double platinum autolite spark plugs a month ago...part of my 83K tune up

So far, in my 6K of driving, el cheapo autolites are pretty fine, but mind you, when I took my factory NGK's out, they were fine.

Hmm, and why no fram oil filter? I thought they were better than purolater ones...

So you guys recommend Nissan OEM oil filters and NGK plugs over "aftermarket" stuff?

Old 10-23-2002, 09:37 AM

Re: double platinum autolite plugs

Originally posted by RodolfoGraziani
So you guys recommend Nissan OEM oil filters and NGK plugs over "aftermarket" stuff?
Yes. Hands down.

SuDZ
Old 10-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Re: double platinum autolite plugs

you have fram and autolites.. hmm.. please give me your VIN so i can make sure none of my friends every buy your car

Originally posted by RodolfoGraziani
Uhh, I just put in my double platinum autolite spark plugs a month ago...part of my 83K tune up

So far, in my 6K of driving, el cheapo autolites are pretty fine, but mind you, when I took my factory NGK's out, they were fine.

Hmm, and why no fram oil filter? I thought they were better than purolater ones...

Old 10-23-2002, 04:02 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

You should never ever use German plugs in a Japanese car, and vice versa...

The timing is programmed in Japanese cars for the firing characteristics of Japanese plugs. If you throw the Boschs in there, the firing characteristics are different, but the ECU doesn't know this. Could cause sluggishness, or detonation.

Best to stick with Jap plugs in Jap cars

I'd go with copper also. Plats are long life, but don't give you as much performance.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:22 PM

my dad is a nissan mechanic and he wont let me use anything other then NGK plugs and nissan filters...the rest will make your car suffer