4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

People lowered, with kit, or both...please check this

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 01:07 PM

People lowered, with kit, or both...please check this

Today in class I was doing some thinking...

Well first off right now I am lowered and so I went to take my rims off and put stock wheels back on for winter. Well my factory jack would not lift car off the ground, the gap from fender to tire got bigger but tire wouldnt come off the ground. Does anyone have this problem when changing tires? So..

My questions are what to do when i get a flat ? And I have 19's and donut for the time is what like 15 would that factor in ?

Now Im running sprint springs so its low and in spring I want body kit so have any of you had to get it towed ? Cause even if you call for a flatbed wont it still scrap alot goin up ?

Anyone every been towed with a kit on what are your options ?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: People lowered, with kit, or both...please check this

Originally posted by madmax97

Well first off right now I am lowered and so I went to take my rims off and put stock wheels back on for winter. Well my factory jack would not lift car off the ground, the gap from fender to tire got bigger but tire wouldnt come off the ground. Does anyone have this problem when changing tires? So..

My questions are what to do when i get a flat ? And I have 19's and donut for the time is what like 15 would that factor in ?

Now Im running sprint springs so its low and in spring I want body kit so have any of you had to get it towed ? Cause even if you call for a flatbed wont it still scrap alot goin up ?

Thanks
see that's why i would never get a kit and i'm even wondering how good of an idea it is to have my car lowered. Not to say anything like this would happen, but what if something happen where car had to be towed and your whole back kit just scraping on the ground for the next 10 mile drive? I hate scraping car on sidewalks and driveways, i'm putting stock springs back on!!!!

the chances of a maxima needing to be towed are very very slim, stop living in fear and do what ya want!
Old 10-22-2002, 01:23 PM
aka UNCDooD

Re: Re: People lowered, with kit, or both...please check this

Originally posted by meccanoble
[B]

see that's why i would never get a kit and i'm even wondering how good of an idea it is to have my car lowered. Not to say anything like this would happen, but what if something happen where car had to be towed and your whole back kit just scraping on the ground for the next 10 mile drive? I hate scraping car on sidewalks and driveways, i'm putting stock springs back on!!!!

change your sig already! lol
Old 10-22-2002, 01:45 PM

Re: Re: People lowered, with kit, or both...please check this

I got my fathers Porsche towed one night when i was out with it.. and when i was on the phone with AAA i told them to give me a flat bed. When they came the guy some how used these wood boards to take away from the steap angle and there was no scatching or draging when they pulled it up onto the bed... and by looking my dads porsche is allot lower then my maxima that has been droped 2"....guess it depends on the tow company

the chances of a maxima needing to be towed are very very slim, stop living in fear and do what ya want! [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 10-22-2002, 01:49 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Lower or not doesn't matter.

Your suspsnsion stops at the same spot as it did before when you jack your car up. It's a factor of the full length of the strut piston which you cannot change. Lowering springs only make the strut compress more when the car is on the ground. They have nothing to do with how far your strut expands till the wheel comes off the ground. The strut assembly is always the same "length".

Your OEM sissor jack, placed in the correct spot will always lift your car up so the wheel comes off the ground. Doesn't matter what suspension combo you have in your car.
Old 10-22-2002, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Even so, a flat tire has less of a diameter than a tire with air in it.

Old 10-22-2002, 09:24 PM

I would never put my stock springs back on. Either way...your goin to scrape if you are lowered and have a kit. I have H&R. so it's not a big drop but i drove into my friends driveway (on an angle) and chipped some of the paint and then i hit the curb backin out of my driveway...so I'll a need a repaint, but i am goin to wait until the winter and get the kit repainted and molded along with the front and rear bumper in the spring. (I have the stillen kit btw)
Old 10-22-2002, 09:51 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Use flat bed tow truck. Tell them you have a lowered car and they will send somebody that knows how to tow it. At the most, your front lip will scrap going up but Stillen lip can take that kind of abuse. If you have a fiberglass front bumper, good luck because it will probably crack going up unless the guy use wood boards.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my car was towed using a normal tow truck, lifting the front wheels.. i'm lowered 1.6 inches with B+G springs, and as far as I know there was no scraping anywhere...
Old 10-22-2002, 09:56 PM

try having air ride on 19s.. if i get a flat or some ****, i am seriously screwed. My car is 2 inches from the ground, literally.. 2 inches. My ypipe almost lays.

you have to jack up in the right spots too.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:40 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by thebigsadler
try having air ride on 19s.. if i get a flat or some ****, i am seriously screwed. My car is 2 inches from the ground, literally.. 2 inches. My ypipe almost lays.

you have to jack up in the right spots too.
Can't you use the air ride to go to 4x4 mode so they can get it on the flatbed?
Old 10-23-2002, 06:09 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
Use flat bed tow truck. Tell them you have a lowered car and they will send somebody that knows how to tow it. At the most, your front lip will scrap going up but Stillen lip can take that kind of abuse. If you have a fiberglass front bumper, good luck because it will probably crack going up unless the guy use wood boards.
A good tow truck driver will have wooden blocks ready to put your car on flat bed tow truck. Most of the tow trucks now days are flat beds. I got it towed twice. nothing really happened to the car. My exhaust did scrape a bit when he took it off the flat bed.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
A good tow truck driver will have wooden blocks ready to put your car on flat bed tow truck. Most of the tow trucks now days are flat beds. I got it towed twice. nothing really happened to the car. My exhaust did scrape a bit when he took it off the flat bed.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:33 AM

its better if you just carry a real jack in your trunk, not only cause of being lowered or having a kit or watever.......its cause its not fun when the car falls on you with that crappy factory jack
Old 10-23-2002, 10:54 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
its better if you just carry a real jack in your trunk, not only cause of being lowered or having a kit or watever.......its cause its not fun when the car falls on you with that crappy factory jack
if you use the notches for those jacks, I find it very hard to believe the car will fall at all.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
Who would you carry a 50lb jack in your car, how do you strap it in and why would you unless you plan to change your oil on the side of the road when you change your tire?
Old 10-23-2002, 07:34 PM

Re: People lowered, with kit, or both...please check this

Originally posted by madmax97

Thanks
Old 10-23-2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Lower or not doesn't matter.

Your suspsnsion stops at the same spot as it did before when you jack your car up. It's a factor of the full length of the strut piston which you cannot change. Lowering springs only make the strut compress more when the car is on the ground. They have nothing to do with how far your strut expands till the wheel comes off the ground. The strut assembly is always the same "length".

Your OEM sissor jack, placed in the correct spot will always lift your car up so the wheel comes off the ground. Doesn't matter what suspension combo you have in your car.
that's INCORRECT, original jack actually relies heavily on the FACTORY SPRINGS, what happens is in the beginning the jack has no leverage, but the springs help in the beginning to push the car higher, once it's higher it has enough leverage to continue pushing and it's not relying on the springs, also ANOTHER factor that goes into this is the fact that the car is HIGHER, so as it is, the jack will have more force on a stock suspension because the jack is more "opened" vs. lowered suspension

on a lowered suspension (coilovers for example) because the jack is so closed and the springs don't do anything to lift the car it is practically impossible to get the car off the ground... unfortunatly that's the reason why I need to get myself a jack, my neighbor w/ the jack has moved so I must buy my own, arrrrr, it was a nice $500 jack too, the one that weighs about 40lbs and nascar guys use