4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 11:26 PM

by the way...about lag

lag will not even be an issue if a small enough turbo is used. the key to minimizing lag is porting. the bigger the exhaust, the more gas that can flow, which means minimal turbo lag. lag is the time it takes for the exhaust gases to make enough contact with the blades of the turbine wheel to make it spin. the turbine wheel is connected to the compressor wheel on a shaft and starts to spin at this time as well. the compressor wheel is generally smaller than the turbine wheel, but this is not always the case. to minimize lag you can: get a larger free flowing exhaust (2.5" - 3"), port the exhaust manifold, port the turbine housing of the turbo, the wastegate hole, and the o2 housing (if the kit supplies this). by the way, does anyone have the link to this kit so i can stop assuming what this kit has and see what it does have?? so basically, the issue of turbo lag on manuals vs autos will really be minimal. boost can be had around 2000-2500rpm if done correctly, but this all depends on the size of turbo (especially the size of the turbine housing because it is the initial motion of the turbine wheel that starts to spin thus turning the compressor wheel and creating boost in the process). if any of you are the do it yourself type, you can get some ideas for a homemade turbocharger system at www.homemadeturbo.com/ it is all for hondas, but the same concepts apply whether you have a honda or a nissan. hope this helps a little also. good luck if you decide to go turbo.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Without a high stall torque converter, an auto max would be forced to launch at 2000rpms. Pretty uneventful if you're turboed. You'd need a pretty small turbo in order for it to spool that quickly. Also, without matching revs and better gear selection it could be a crazy ride for a turbo automatic downshifting. For example, if you're cruising at 60 mph in 4th. Then floor it. The car will go in to 2nd because the top of 2nd is around 75mph. Say 60mph on the auto is 2000rpm, 65mph in 2nd may be close to redline! So it's like.. 0 boost to almost 100% boost. I still get chills when thinking of launching a TC automatic 4-speed off the line. Uneventful is the only word I can think of. I could be wrong though. This is all speculation. =P

Originally posted by 97maximase5spd

I agree with you somewhat. There will definately be more lag initially since you cannot control the gears, but once you get going, I don't see why it would lag between shifts. When an auto shifts close to redline the rpms would drop above 3500-4000rpms which would be a good spot for it.

When you're cruising and then you step on it there would definately be some lag, but wouldn't the the same happen with a 5 speed cruising at 55? The time spent downshifting to produce boost wouldn't be that far off from an auto's time to downshift esp. with the VB mod. You can also turn the OD off wich would put you in a good spot to make some boost at 55, i think.

Let's get some TC auto's out there vs. TC 5speeds from like 50-90 and we'll see what's up.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
Also, without matching revs and better gear selection it could be a crazy ride for a turbo automatic downshifting. For example, if you're cruising at 60 mph in 4th. Then floor it. The car will go in to 2nd because the top of 2nd is around 75mph. Say 60mph on the auto is 2000rpm, 65mph in 2nd may be close to redline! So it's like.. 0 boost to almost 100% boost.

You have a good point on that. I dunno. Maybe auto SC maxes could shed some light on the subject since the effect would be similar.

-g9s0x-

welcome to the .org
Most of these issues have been addressed. Not many people have swapped for larger injectors. Usually an FMU is used to bump up the pressure if you don't plan on boosting higher than say 8-9psi. Not the ideal setup but it seems to be adequate. People do upgrade to a larger fuel pump as well.

There have been a few people who are pushing the maxima to it's unknown limits. Check out this thread on a 429hpmax on stock internals:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....y+maxima+sucks
This kit's site is: www.pfispeed.com

You can also check out www.turbomaxima.com under the download section for some videos of the turbokit sold below as well as other custom:

Check out www.hlh0501.com for the other turbo kit out.

TC maxes aren't new to the scene... just the production of kits for it. There have been a handful who have done custom kits in the past. Hope this answers some questions.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:59 AM
Administrator

different turbo's spool different times..

harolds spool early.. mine spools late...

harold... 2500 rpms... mine 4000 rpms..
Old 02-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
different turbo's spool different times..

harolds spool early.. mine spools late...

harold... 2500 rpms... mine 4000 rpms..

interesting, later spool more traction on take off interesting,
Old 02-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by JAY25

interesting, later spool more traction on take off interesting,
also more power on high end.. aka .. highway racing

plus if i go with a higher redline.. i can use it more
Old 02-08-2003, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax

also more power on high end.. aka .. highway racing

plus if i go with a higher redline.. i can use it more

I still think Harold owns joOo.... j/k

That's interesting to hear tho. Each with their own advatages. Is yours custom? You probably have a straight T4 on there, right?
Old 02-08-2003, 01:37 PM
CaLSoNiC

I would just get turbo for the sound... I can never get over the hissing...