4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 11:47 AM

Suspension advice needed

I have a 95 Maxima SE with almost 113K miles. The struts and springs are original and it goes without saying that the ride is no longer what it should be. So I'm looking to replace at least the struts/shocks.

I'm not particularly interested in lowering the car -- I don't race, I don't really push it very hard, and the roads in Texas have no curves to speak of.

So after reading a lot of threads here, I'm leaning toward the KYB GR2 or maybe the AGX replacements.

The questions:

1. Is there any way to know if the springs need to be replaced?
2. Is there a real advantage in my situation to going with the AGXs?
3. Any other parts I'll need to do this (mounts, bumpers, covers, etc)?
4. Will I need an alignment when it's done?
5. Best places online to get the parts (customer service and quick shipping is more important than the lowest price to me)?

Thanks for any assistance.

Dan
Old 10-23-2002, 12:04 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Suspension advice needed

Originally posted by 95MaximaSE-TX

1. Is there any way to know if the springs need to be replaced?
Springs last the life of the vehicle - Save your $$$ your springs are fine.

2. Is there a real advantage in my situation to going with the AGXs?
No

3. Any other parts I'll need to do this (mounts, bumpers, covers, etc)?
Strut Bearings for the fronts and possibly the lower isolation sleves for both front and rears & dust covers all around.

4. Will I need an alignment when it's done?
Most definately!

5. Best places online to get the parts (customer service and quick shipping is more important than the lowest price to me)?
Shox.com, Tirerack, Courtesy Nissan or your local dealer for the bearings and the isolation sleves.

Thanks for any assistance.

Dan
Your welcome!

You should be looking at either the KYB GR2 struts and shocks or the Tokico Blue's. Both are excellent replacements for your needs.

Tom aka - The Suspension Guru
Old 10-23-2002, 12:24 PM

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

There was another current thread that led to an older thread here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+answered+SuDZ with a lot of similar questions and answers.

BTW, I got an estimate at a local shop to do the fronts and it was about $650. Can't see spending that kind of cash on something that seems to be pretty straightforward to do myself.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

BTW, I got an estimate at a local shop to do the fronts and it was about $650. Can't see spending that kind of cash on something that seems to be pretty straightforward to do myself.

FAQ
Old 10-23-2002, 12:43 PM

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

There was another current thread that led to an older thread here: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+answered+SuDZ with a lot of similar questions and answers.

Glad the thread helped out. Nice to see that it got some use. And for njmaxseltd, he ain't kidding on the suspension guru thing. I actually used infor from him many times in there. As far as $650 that is a very high price. Also it really is not that tough to do it on your own, just a little long the first time. If you have a decent space to work on it the firsttime took me about 1 hour each wheel to do. Only because the first one took me over an hour to figure out the but then the one on the opposite side would fly by due to the new techniques you find. Definantly a project to teach you some things and save you some money. Easy enough to do on your own in a few hours or no time at all with some help.

SuDZ
Old 10-23-2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

FAQ
Yep, read that, and I have a Chiltons too. I have a local parts store where I can get the spring compressor and I have a torque wrench. Sounds like just about everything I need.

FWIW, I'm the original owner, bought the car in July 1994, and it's had very few problems so far. Had the starter replaced some time ago, recently the front axles, and a few weeks ago I replace the Bose unit with an Alpine after the CD and tape players decided they didn't want to work anymore.

It's been an excellent car and the suspension work should bring it right back what it should be.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:52 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

TIP: Suspension bolts can be a PITA to break loose.

Get a big breaker bar and use a 1/2 inch drive 6 point 19mm socket to break the lower strut nuts loose.

The rear is a 17mm bolt, again use a big breaker bar, 1/2 inch 6 point socket.

WD-40 is your friend!
Old 10-23-2002, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Glad the thread helped out. Nice to see that it got some use. And for njmaxseltd, he ain't kidding on the suspension guru thing. I actually used infor from him many times in there. As far as $650 that is a very high price. Also it really is not that tough to do it on your own, just a little long the first time. If you have a decent space to work on it the firsttime took me about 1 hour each wheel to do. Only because the first one took me over an hour to figure out the but then the one on the opposite side would fly by due to the new techniques you find. Definantly a project to teach you some things and save you some money. Easy enough to do on your own in a few hours or no time at all with some help.

SuDZ
That was an excellent thread and without the tip on the search I'm sure it would have been lost in a bunch of other suspension related threads.

I just ordered the KYB GR2s from Tire Rack. Had to be one of the easiest orders I've placed over the phone. The guy did talk me out of the strut mounts, boots, and bumpers though.

So, I'll go check on courtesy nissan for the other parts and see what I can find.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Get a big breaker bar and use a 1/2 inch drive 6 point 19mm socket to break the lower strut nuts loose.

WD-40 is your friend!
Cool, an excuse to buy tools. I have a 3/8" drive but if a 1/2" and a breaker bar are better for this, Sears is just down the road.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

WD-40 is your friend!
hey njmaxseltd, any tips on getting the TOP nut off that holds the whole front strut/spring assembly together?

I think I remember you saying that we should loosen it while it's still in the car, but wont the whole shaft of the strut rotate as I'm trying to turn the top nut?

I know the easiest way to do this would be with air tools, but I don't have access to them right now.

Thanks for any hints, you are the man.