4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NEW VIPER RESPONDER ALARM INSTALLED, satisfied customer

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 03:24 PM
Sports Button FTW

NEW VIPER RESPONDER ALARM INSTALLED, satisfied customer

today i took a trip down to Pearl96Max house to get that new Viper alarm he's advertising in the group deal installed. As you all know i just got a new max from a fellow org member and since its so hooked up i couldn't take any chances of it getting stolen, therefore i paid full price for install because i couldn't wait for the group deal to start.

either way, i'm very pleased with the outcome, THIS ALARM HAS REACH MAN! i was 2 blocks away throwing buttons and i could hear my alarm unlocking and locking from the distance, a quarter mile is right! Definitely better than any alarm i ever had before.

Its like a pager and an alarm all in one, just don't get no better. Nice clean job on Don's part, he even took out my old alarm which was a mess but with a few bad words and a good hour and some change of hard work, my car was ready for battle. Oh, and here's an equation that i came up with....

Don (Pearl96Max) - cigarettes + lovely wife = one funny guy

anybody that knows him knows what i mean

Unfortunately i wasn't good enough of a friend to have him install the remote start but one of my electronic friends helped me with that part...SO YES!!

MECCANOBLE HAS AUTO START!!!! omg! it feels so good, just tap two buttons, wait 3 seconds and VRROOOOOMMMMM!!! NO MORE WAITING OUTSIDE FOR CAR TO WARM UP! NO MORE SHUTTING CAR OFF TO MAKE A QUICK ERRAND AT THE CORNER STORE!

THANK YOU DON AKA Pearl96Max, your legacy continues and YES I AM HAPPY WITH THE PURCHASE, well worth every penny if you REALY care about your cars safety.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:47 PM
henock

lucky. i had a bad experience with remote starters >_<

look here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=147000

Old 10-24-2002, 03:55 PM
Administrator

how much?
Old 10-24-2002, 04:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is it this one?
http://www.drdetailshop.com/V790XV.htm
Old 10-24-2002, 04:29 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by henock

look here:

hmmm, maybe its because its an audiovox?

but mine starts off perfectly. just click, hear the quick cherp on your pager, then wait 3-5 seconds and your car starts, no more than like 3 CHE CHE CHE VROOMS!

or maybe its cause of who installed it? Don is the best person i know at installing alarms and sound audio. He not only takes his time to make sure everything is done right but he puts your car before his. I bet if he got paid to fix his car he would do it more often, lol.

I paid 550 + tax for install. Still not a bad price. I checked some shops around the area and they were charging 650 + some stupid little fees. He's done it on my car, he's very familiar with maxima's, hell he has one of his own.

oh and yes 1FSTMAX, its the same one u posted. NOt sure if its the 599 or 699, don't even know what the difference is between the two
Old 10-24-2002, 04:35 PM
henock

do you think it could be defective? i mean, i could always have circuit city replace it for free if it is.

Old 10-24-2002, 05:18 PM

I was the first person to get the 790xv installed by Don.. You're right about the range. It's crazy, I get outta my house. My car literally parked around 2 blocks.. I can hear it start as soon as I hit the button Definitely a good pick if anyone wants an alarm upgrade... Oh yeah, get it installed from Don. He Da Man!!!
Old 10-24-2002, 05:30 PM

I got Viper 600 installed with an invisabeam plus LED's in my doors (ash tray, handle and window switchs) alarm is wired to my Leds in the A pillars Just jike Dons, also installed Diamond audio M6 components a lot of time was put into installing everything and i have no Problems with anything Dons the Best, Soon to get M6 Subs and head unit from him too.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:12 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by SMX95
I got Viper 600 installed with an invisabeam plus LED's in my doors (ash tray, handle and window switchs) alarm is wired to my Leds in the A pillars Just jike Dons, also installed Diamond audio M6 components a lot of time was put into installing everything and i have no Problems with anything Dons the Best, Soon to get M6 Subs and head unit from him too.
yea, yo i just sat in his car today and listened to that eminem song "release yourself" OMG!! he had sub and bass turned all the way down and the power was serious to mention real clean, he just needs more dynomat or something to stop all the rattling but he's running diamond subs, they kind of expensive to me personally (shiva fan ) but dam, his subs took that power and asked for more plus its real clean. If i had the money man......
Old 10-24-2002, 09:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Its because audiovox/prestige is a piece of $hit..

Let me explain..

It is very important to get an alarm that has TACH sense or IGNITION COIL sense wire..

I think your prestigge uses a stupid @ss voltage sense to start or timed start (holds starter for certain duration)..

Do not under any circumstances get a remote starter alarm in this form... it sucks, its harsh on the starter and it never gets the car to start right in varying temperatures (colder engines require longer crank times)...

Get rid of that pice of $hit.. i have had experience with them and they are nothing but trouble..

BTW.. had my compustar on my old mazda for 2 years.. its a wonder why this is new news, my compustar was out for so long, and i would never buy anything but computstar

Plus the new compustar 2wss is 1.25 miles not 1/2 mile, screw viper, make mine compustar again..

Unfortunately they dont sell compustar 2wss in canada (SS=spread spectrum) so i am still waiting it out..

ED
Old 10-24-2002, 09:30 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by MiniRX7
Its because audiovox/prestige is a piece of $hit..

Let me explain..

It is very important to get an alarm that has TACH sense or IGNITION COIL sense wire..

I think your prestigge uses a stupid @ss voltage sense to start or timed start (holds starter for certain duration)..

Do not under any circumstances get a remote starter alarm in this form... it sucks, its harsh on the starter and it never gets the car to start right in varying temperatures (colder engines require longer crank times)...

Get rid of that pice of $hit.. i have had experience with them and they are nothing but trouble..

BTW.. had my compustar on my old mazda for 2 years.. its a wonder why this is new news, my compustar was out for so long, and i would never buy anything but computstar

Plus the new compustar 2wss is 1.25 miles not 1/2 mile, screw viper, make mine compustar again..

Unfortunately they dont sell compustar 2wss in canada (SS=spread spectrum) so i am still waiting it out..

ED
wow a mile and a quarter?! that's a distance! It would suck to turn that alarm off by mistake from so far lol. People taking your car and u wouldn't even know it...likewise with me too...that computstar comes with screen pager and everything like this viper?
Old 12-24-2002, 06:55 AM

Re: NEW VIPER RESPONDER ALARM INSTALLED, satisfied customer

does your new alarm opens/close windows? like maxima original remote does? what is range? i know compustar has 1.25 miles, what about yours? Maybe i will do the same thing?
Old 12-24-2002, 08:10 PM

I got the same alarm, not installed by Don, but still an awesome alarm nonetheless. I just have one question about it though; the shop that installed it said that I would have to buy a $250 module to be able to roll up and down the windows, is that true? I believe them but I would think all I would need would be some relays. Pleasse correct me if I am wrong.

-Tom
Old 12-24-2002, 11:29 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by vabeachmax
I got the same alarm, not installed by Don, but still an awesome alarm nonetheless. I just have one question about it though; the shop that installed it said that I would have to buy a $250 module to be able to roll up and down the windows, is that true? I believe them but I would think all I would need would be some relays. Pleasse correct me if I am wrong.

-Tom
u do need some modules. On my old max i had some but it didn't cost me no 250 dollars. it was like 50 for front doors, 50 for back doors and like another 50 for the sunroof if u wanted it...something like that...maybe install would have put u at 200 but i hope 250 wasn't for modules alone...
Old 12-25-2002, 03:39 AM
Playboycutie69

Originally posted by SMX95
Since when does H&R give a 2 inch drop?

Old 12-25-2002, 05:34 AM
I need a truck

Originally posted by Playboycutie69

Since when does H&R give a 2 inch drop?
if you cut the springs they'll drop that far
Old 12-25-2002, 07:19 AM

Just buy a real alarm already..

Originally posted by henock

look here:

Yeah, thats because you bought a ****ty alarm and skimped on the install as well. Look around henock, lots of Max owners have had good experiences with Viper and Cliffords. I myself have a Clifford. Go spend some money, buy a good DEI product, and get it installed professionally. I have NEVER EVER had any problems with remote start on either of the Vipers, Clifford Intelliguards/AvantGuards I've owned on any car.

This is not a Maxima problem, this is a problem with the particular alarm vendor you chose.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:22 AM

I agree Mecca, a big part of an alarm/security system operating correctly is the way its installed, how its fused, grounded and connected. Thats the advantage of an aftermarket alarm system, they can all be configured and installed slightly differently, not to remove the functionality, but to provide more security, ie. hide the brain etc.

Enjoy the alarm, I've had very good experiences with Vipers over the years, as well.

Originally posted by meccanoble

hmmm, maybe its because its an audiovox?

but mine starts off perfectly. just click, hear the quick cherp on your pager, then wait 3-5 seconds and your car starts, no more than like 3 CHE CHE CHE VROOMS!

or maybe its cause of who installed it? Don is the best person i know at installing alarms and sound audio. He not only takes his time to make sure everything is done right but he puts your car before his. I bet if he got paid to fix his car he would do it more often, lol.

I paid 550 + tax for install. Still not a bad price. I checked some shops around the area and they were charging 650 + some stupid little fees. He's done it on my car, he's very familiar with maxima's, hell he has one of his own.

oh and yes 1FSTMAX, its the same one u posted. NOt sure if its the 599 or 699, don't even know what the difference is between the two
Old 12-25-2002, 07:26 AM

Originally posted by vabeachmax

-Tom

Sounds about right, the Clifford SW (SmartWindow) modules are around $250 but I doubt they use those for your particular install. I have the SW4 modules my car. Awesome, I have full auto up and down on all windows, including remote window closure and opening, remote venting and sunroof open/close as well.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:56 AM

I heard that the sunroof cannot be connected to any smart module as a result of the design, is this true??

I rather go with COMPUSTAR beucase i have installed a few and i love the alarms..

IT freaked me out how far my old compustar 2000A worked on my protege..

The new SS series is now released in canada!!! YES!! now i have to save some money and get this..

The viper is way to expensive for my needs and it does the same things as the compustar.

BTW, is the VIPER manual transmission ready??

ED
Old 12-25-2002, 12:03 PM

Smart Window sunroof control

Ed,

My installer used the SmartWindow module to control my sunroof, but stated that he had to disable the auto-arm function, due to the way the sunroof is wired/designed. If I arm it and sunroof is open, it will automatically close. I might be misquoting the installer, but to the best of my memory that was what he told me, I can always ask him again.

I heard that the sunroof cannot be connected to any smart module as a result of the design, is this true??

I rather go with COMPUSTAR beucase i have installed a few and i love the alarms..

IT freaked me out how far my old compustar 2000A worked on my protege..

The new SS series is now released in canada!!! YES!! now i have to save some money and get this..

The viper is way to expensive for my needs and it does the same things as the compustar.

BTW, is the VIPER manual transmission ready??

ED
Old 12-28-2002, 08:56 AM

Which maxima do you have?

ED
Old 12-28-2002, 08:59 AM

Which maxima do you have?

ED

1999 SE
Old 12-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Smart Window sunroof control

Originally posted by packetattack
Ed,

My installer used the SmartWindow module to control my sunroof, but stated that he had to disable the auto-arm function, due to the way the sunroof is wired/designed. If I arm it and sunroof is open, it will automatically close. I might be misquoting the installer, but to the best of my memory that was what he told me, I can always ask him again.

i'm not 100% positive that there is a module that will let sunroof work like windows but when i went for my first alarm on my first maxima, it was some crappy garbage that was well known cause a lot of people had it and replaced it, but he told me i had a choice to get a module for sunroof. Not sure if he knew what he was saying and he did a bad job with install so i don't really trust his judgement...
Old 12-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Handsome

I would also like to thank the members of Maxima.org for their suggestion of a new alarm system. It didn't take anytime to install, is always on, and I havn't had a problem with vandals yet

Here it is

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/con...8400&quality=b

sorry about the OT
Old 01-13-2003, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Audivox APS-995

I have to disagree with you guys that say Audivox is garbage. I purchased the Audivox Prestige APS-995 model a two months ago for $179 (you can get it for $153 at simplycheap.com) Had it installed at Best Buy (Had lots of problems with them, but the work was done well) for $50 after waiting 12 hours for an alarm install. I have not had any trouble with it at all and am very happy with the features:
- Remote start
- Remote trunk
- Remote windown (if you have the relays)
- Two way lcd remote with 1/3 mile range
I highly recoment it! There are newer models out now though. Wish I knew 2 months ago
Old 01-13-2003, 03:10 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Re: Audivox APS-995

Originally posted by wgilbert
I have to disagree with you guys that say Audivox is garbage. I purchased the Audivox Prestige APS-995 model a two months ago for $179 (you can get it for $153 at simplycheap.com) Had it installed at Best Buy (Had lots of problems with them, but the work was done well) for $50 after waiting 12 hours for an alarm install. I have not had any trouble with it at all and am very happy with the features:
- Remote start
- Remote trunk
- Remote windown (if you have the relays)
- Two way lcd remote with 1/3 mile range
I highly recoment it! There are newer models out now though. Wish I knew 2 months ago
With my 15+years of experience backing me....I would never offer an Audiovox alarm to any of my customers. If you have one that works for you, thats great, and I am in no way flaming you for it. I am just speaking of past present and some future experiences with lower quality products like Audiovox.

I am also sure the saying "You get what you pay for" will always be standing.

--Don
Old 01-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: Re: Audivox APS-995

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
With my 15+years of experience backing me....I would never offer an Audiovox alarm to any of my customers. If you have one that works for you, thats great, and I am in no way flaming you for it. I am just speaking of past present and some future experiences with lower quality products like Audiovox.

I am also sure the saying "You get what you pay for" will always be standing.

--Don
Don-
Hope you're feeling better in recent days.
1. My friend with the Matrix has some problems with the alarm, she needs to stop by when you're up for it.
2. I lost one of my remote, pls email me and let me know the cost to replace one. Meanwhile, I'm using the spare set. We also need to do the Hella install. I have a friend with 5th gen in NYC who would drive out here for the install, depending on how it goes with my car.
3. There's something else we need to discuss, I was hoping to do so when you're working on my car.

Ange
Old 01-13-2003, 06:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Audivox APS-995

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

Don-
Hope you're feeling better in recent days.
1. My friend with the Matrix has some problems with the alarm, she needs to stop by when you're up for it.
2. I lost one of my remote, pls email me and let me know the cost to replace one. Meanwhile, I'm using the spare set. We also need to do the Hella install. I have a friend with 5th gen in NYC who would drive out here for the install, depending on how it goes with my car.
3. There's something else we need to discuss, I was hoping to do so when you're working on my car.

Ange
Ange,

email me or call me with the problems, maybe can be fixed that way.

no problem on the remote.

Sorry about last week, its been off and on with this...and I keep losing your phone number.

--Don
Old 02-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Sports Button FTW

Re: Re: Re: Re: Audivox APS-995

Ange,

email me or call me with the problems, maybe can be fixed that way.

no problem on the remote.

Sorry about last week, its been off and on with this...and I keep losing your phone number.

--Don
ahh, i hope i get my neons today! you got me for the install right don
Old 02-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

okay, bring on the flaming..... What's up with the Group Deal on this? A friend of mine just had one installed on his IS300, and it's amazing. I want one.
Old 02-06-2003, 04:08 PM

question - i always thought that these remote starters didnt work on 5spds? - dont u have a 5psd meccanobile? - hrmm - maybe it works if you leave the car in neutral?
Old 02-06-2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by fearthegecko
okay, bring on the flaming..... What's up with the Group Deal on this? A friend of mine just had one installed on his IS300, and it's amazing. I want one.

It can be found here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=159067

--Don
Old 02-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
question - i always thought that these remote starters didnt work on 5spds? - dont u have a 5psd meccanobile? - hrmm - maybe it works if you leave the car in neutral?
u have to do some extra stuff to make it work...anything is possible, but you have to find the right people to take care of that stuff...i had don install the alarm and had a friend take care of the remote starter issue....some people *ahem* DON *ahem* takes his job too seriously and wont help good friends with illegal stuff like that ....its all good though, the last thing i would want him to do is jeopardize his business. definitely a good alarm...still kicking with no problems...

best part about this pager/alarm is that it takes ONE triple A battery...not hard to find at all...i'm on my last stick of battery life...gotta find a battery quick....its been a good 3-4 months...not bad at all, i would have thought that pager ate batteries left and right but they last pretty long...
Old 02-06-2003, 06:18 PM
AssyrianRacer

Originally posted by PCGuRu2K
I was the first person to get the 790xv installed by Don.. You're right about the range. It's crazy, I get outta my house. My car literally parked around 2 blocks.. I can hear it start as soon as I hit the button Definitely a good pick if anyone wants an alarm upgrade... Oh yeah, get it installed from Don. He Da Man!!!
Nice A$$ max Dude

But anyways, man i anna remote stater, But im saving for performance and some exterior mods, You guys are all gonna be amazed at my car when im done, this has never been done b4 guyssssssssssssssss

Old 02-07-2003, 10:35 AM

It can be found here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=159067

--Don

Okay, i read the post, now is $499 the definite price? I noticed that the message was edited, and that originally you would have to find out how many people were interested before going into it, so i'm guessing that the message was edited to tell the actual price.

What does this include?
How many remotes?
Remote Start?
Window-down relays/modules?
Trunk release?

I'd just like to know, because i have a good feeling Don will be getting my tax return......
Old 02-07-2003, 06:12 PM

Okay, i read the post, now is $499 the definite price? I noticed that the message was edited, and that originally you would have to find out how many people were interested before going into it, so i'm guessing that the message was edited to tell the actual price.

What does this include?
How many remotes?
Remote Start?
Window-down relays/modules?
Trunk release?

I'd just like to know, because i have a good feeling Don will be getting my tax return......
I had actually edited a few times.Originally I didnt have a price set,then when I had one I did lower it through Christmas. The $499 price is guaranteed to never increase. I have done at least 25-30 for Org members alone so the group deal volume has been met and price will remain the same.

It does include: Remote start/full function alarm/shock sensor/ignition kill/flashing light/status LED/6 tone siren/keyless entry with trunk/etc...Comes with one two-way remote.

--Don
Old 02-07-2003, 07:10 PM

im installing my Clifford RS3 next weekend. The Clifford = VIPER = Python Responder units, all the same thing, just different names. My cost on these units is rediculously cheap, but then again its only a one time deal for employees

Ant
Old 02-08-2003, 01:28 PM

I had actually edited a few times.Originally I didnt have a price set,then when I had one I did lower it through Christmas. The $499 price is guaranteed to never increase. I have done at least 25-30 for Org members alone so the group deal volume has been met and price will remain the same.

It does include: Remote start/full function alarm/shock sensor/ignition kill/flashing light/status LED/6 tone siren/keyless entry with trunk/etc...Comes with one two-way remote.

--Don

okay, if i wanted another remote with it, or if the one i had broke, would i have to see you to have it programmed, or could i go to any authorized installer?
Old 02-09-2003, 03:14 PM

okay, if i wanted another remote with it, or if the one i had broke, would i have to see you to have it programmed, or could i go to any authorized installer?
Either or, it really doesnt matter.

--Don

Quick Reply: NEW VIPER RESPONDER ALARM INSTALLED, satisfied customer