4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

injen cai filter failed state inspection !

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 02:29 PM
Boosted Panda

injen cai filter failed state inspection !

Went to get my car inspected today and it failed. The guy told me that the filter on the setup was not legal? Instructed me to either get the original setup back on or get a k&n filter, isnt the injen filter the same as a k&n? I tried to tell him that and he said there different. Stated that the k&n isnt red, I told him its the oil that makes it red! Any way looks like im out 13.00 bucks.Any one else had this problem? Any suggestions?
Old 10-29-2002, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Re: injen cai filter failed state inspection !

Originally posted by FLAVOR247
Went to get my car inspected today and it failed. The guy told me that the filter on the setup was not legal? Instructed me to either get the original setup back on or get a k&n filter, isnt the injen filter the same as a k&n? I tried to tell him that and he said there different. Stated that the k&n isnt red, I told him its the oil that makes it red! Any way looks like im out 13.00 bucks.Any one else had this problem? Any suggestions?
take it to another smog place... ask the guy first before you even spend the money... oterwise go back to stock for inspection
Old 10-29-2002, 02:39 PM

Re: injen cai filter failed state inspection !

Originally posted by FLAVOR247

I have yet to get my smog inspection, but I know that the injen filter is not the same as the K&N (k&n's filter is red even before the oil) Keep us informed because I know there's a lot of Max with Injen CAI on, including me. BTW Injen CARB cert is pending, so maybe you can email them about this.
Old 10-29-2002, 03:07 PM

I just think the guy is being an azz about it! He failed you by saying K&N isn't red? That is a bunch of BS! So other people w/ Apexi or generic cone filters are passing because of.....????

Tifosi
Old 10-29-2002, 03:44 PM

k+n i dont think is red after being cleaned...i could be wrong, but i thought mine was just, ermm, well i dunno, but i didnt think it was red after being cleaned....and like flavor said, its just red after you oil it.....

watever, the guy was just being an ahole about it
Old 10-29-2002, 04:21 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

The K&N is white when clean. They make the oil red so you can tell when you have complete coverage.
Old 10-29-2002, 04:59 PM

Comes to think about it, is that guy even talking about the filter element part being red or the plastic rubber part on top and bottom of the filter being red??? Coz Injen filter is red unlike an Apexi which is black. If the guy is talking about the rubber part of the filter being red, then he's really being an a-hole!

Tifosi
Old 10-29-2002, 06:20 PM

Buy a K&N Sticker and Slap it on the intake, go back to the same place when that guy isn't around and say you got a K&N filter -)
Old 10-29-2002, 06:30 PM

i passed two times already with my PR CAI during my inspections in the past. No probs here

Ant
Old 10-29-2002, 08:09 PM

I can't believe they ever questioned your intake!!!
Old 10-29-2002, 08:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah the only thing they ever hate about my car is lights.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:03 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Yeah the only thing they ever hate about my car is lights.
Yeah ,the guy seemed to be a real a-hole. He made a comment like "you want to have all this fancy stuff on your car, but you need to stay legal to pass inspection". I talked to Injen today and they stated that the intake for the max just got carb approved and that they should have all their documentation available soon to eliminaate this problem.They told me in order to recieve this documention we need to call, or email them in a couple of weeks. Just a little heads up.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:15 PM
CaLSoNiC

Heh, I live in a county with no emissions laws... Got lots of friends running stright headers...

Old 10-30-2002, 05:01 AM
i SeE what you did therE

well that suxs..
Old 10-30-2002, 05:16 AM

i didn't think your intake filter even mattered. just EGR systems and exhaust and vapor recovery.
why should it effect anything, it's only breathing in the air that's already there. rather or not it filters anything has nothing to do with emmisions...maybe your engine life, but not emmisions. This guy doesn't know what he talking about and just being an ***. When you get the paper work, make sure you go right back to the same guy to shove it in his face. matter of fact, go find some docs that probably prove he shouldn't be looking at that anyway.
Old 10-30-2002, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by mayhem_J30
i didn't think your intake filter even mattered. just EGR systems and exhaust and vapor recovery.
why should it effect anything, it's only breathing in the air that's already there. rather or not it filters anything has nothing to do with emmisions...maybe your engine life, but not emmisions. This guy doesn't know what he talking about and just being an ***. When you get the paper work, make sure you go right back to the same guy to shove it in his face. matter of fact, go find some docs that probably prove he shouldn't be looking at that anyway.
why do would an after market intake affect engine life?
is an intake bad for the engine?
why is that?
would stock filter prolong engine life?
Old 10-31-2002, 05:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i'm getting fed up with injen. everytime i call/email, they say they're almost done with carb...they've been saying this for the past year. i've missed several awesome deals on their cai cuz of this.
as for not passing inspection, if you don't have the documentation, you won't pass visual. there's jerk off people who work undercover to bring in illegal cars to see if the shop will pass them. That shop just doesn't want to get in trouble.
The tech person was just unknowledgable. He was probably refering to the k&n drop in filter, which's legal. Your best bet is to swap out the intake for stock, get tested, then swap back. An alternative is to bring the stock parts in your trunk and if they complain, say you can swap on the spot.
Or call up Stillen and get their documentation and slap on a stillen sticker.
Jae
Old 10-31-2002, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by 95seMax

why do would an after market intake affect engine life?
is an intake bad for the engine?
why is that?
would stock filter prolong engine life?
i'm just saying if it filter nothing vs anything, the only affects would be engine life. i'm still skeptical about how well after market intake filters actually filter. people always do dyno's with them, but they never do tests to see how well they filter. of course, with a lot of after market products engine life is usually the sacrifice for performance. Think of it like this, more air flow MIGHT mean less filtration. Hopefully we'll just have to take K&N's word that it excels at both. They already make one of the best oil filters so I would assume their air filter is just as good.

as for being legal, it must be a state thing, because all the stuff they're giving you guys never happens in Kentucky. Guess we're just lucky. Shortly we won't even have emission testing...WOOHOO!
Old 10-31-2002, 06:08 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally posted by mayhem_J30

i'm just saying if it filter nothing vs anything, the only affects would be engine life. i'm still skeptical about how well after market intake filters actually filter. people always do dyno's with them, but they never do tests to see how well they filter. of course, with a lot of after market products engine life is usually the sacrifice for performance. Think of it like this, more air flow MIGHT mean less filtration. Hopefully we'll just have to take K&N's word that it excels at both. They already make one of the best oil filters so I would assume their air filter is just as good.

as for being legal, it must be a state thing, because all the stuff they're giving you guys never happens in Kentucky. Guess we're just lucky. Shortly we won't even have emission testing...WOOHOO!
This happened to me here in Texas, wich i wouldnt think wouldnt be such a big deal. emission laws arent to strict here.It would be different if i lived in cali.I guess my only real alternative is to swap out parts if i wanna save my self some money. Kinda a pain in the **** though.. Still debating.Might just go some where else.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:35 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

I had my car in for a smog check (california) 3 months ago and w/ my cone filter and catback exhaust, regardless of those, i've got one of the most cleanest cars... my emissions were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay below AVERAGE!