4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help with Valve Body Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002 | 02:14 PM
Don't trust me, I'm sneaky

Help with Valve Body Mod

Okay, I just got done installing Don's VB, but I can't shift into any gears. I made sure the manual linkage pin was back like it should be, and that damnable spring went back where it goes. What could be wrong?
Old 11-02-2002 | 02:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Help with Valve Body Mod

Originally posted by SlavDaddy
Okay, I just got done installing Don's VB, but I can't shift into any gears. I made sure the manual linkage pin was back like it should be, and that damnable spring went back where it goes. What could be wrong?
Sounds like a problem with the linkage pin, you might want to check that again...

You made sure it sets right with the shifting linkage in the slot?

I don't know what else it could be...
Old 11-02-2002 | 02:24 PM

Linkage pin

Yeah, that pin is definately where it goes. It is blowing my mind as well.
Old 11-02-2002 | 03:50 PM

Cause of prob

Don thinks that torqueing one side of the vb more thanthe other could have caused it to bind up. This is probably what happened, since my torque wrnech wasn't reading well (crappy wrench). Of course, in stead of stopping like I should have, I went on anyway. I guess I'll take it to a shop and have them look at it. Thanks anyway
Old 11-04-2002 | 05:55 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Cause of prob

I know you have checked the linkage pin, but are you 100% sure that it's exactly the same way as it was before you removed the VB? When i bolted up my VB, I tried to move it out of Park and it was bound up. And it was due to my linkage pin sitting directly below the linkage arm. It needs to sit directly beside it so the linkage arm can move up, down, forward and backwards.

Also, can you get the shifter out of park? Can you physically move the shifter through any gears? I'm not asking if the gears are actually engaging. If this is your problem, then I would say it's your linkage pin.

Also, I can't see how your VB can be so bound up due to improper torque that you can't physically get the shifter out of Park. If your VB is not torqued right, internal leaks can easily happen and the tranny will not shift right or at all.

And also, make sure the VB is sitting properly inside the case. The top of the VB should make a perfect seal to the case. If there is a gap, that means that something is preventing the VB from sitting right. Or you just haven't tightened it enough. Be careful not to cross thread or put the wrong bolts in the wrong spots.
Old 11-04-2002 | 10:20 PM

Thanks

Thanks a bunch for the info, but unfortunately, everyting you describeds I checked. The notch in the large part of the linkage oin faces the inside of the vb, away from the single silenoid. The pin coming in from up top fits into the slot in the fatter part of the linkage pin. I ran my hand around the vb to make sure that it sat flush at everypoint, and it does. Also, no local shop will touch it to repair it; they seem to think I want to blame problem on them. My only course of action is to take everything apart this saturday, and re-tighten things litle by little, making sure nothing binds each inch of the way. Don said every once-in-a-while, this kind of binding occurs from improper tightening. I noticed my torque wrnech wasn't reading correctly (after I got everyting aprat, of course) so I hope this course of action will lead me to a cure. Thanks again for replying, though. It really sucks being out a car for a week.
Old 11-05-2002 | 07:46 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Thanks

When the VB is secure and sealed, you should be able to jiggle the linkage pin. Can you jiggle it in anyway? Or is it pretty tight?

Are you sure that your shifter linkage and gear selector are not bound up for some reason? I mean, are you sure that it's the VB to blame?

If you are going to remove your VB again and bolt it up, make sure when you bolt it up that you try your best to tighten the bolts from inside out. You should tighten the bolts that are in the center of the VB first, then work your way outward.

How many times have you removed and installed your VB since this problem occured?

Another question,... when you bolt up the VB and before you fill with fluid, are you able to get inside your car and move the shifter in anyway out of Park?

I seriously think that the VB is not bolted up correctly. Cause the actual VB would have nothing to do with you not being able to move the shifter. So, check everything from the shifter linkage pin to the shifter itself. And if you have a friend, get him to try to move the shifter while you look at the linkage pin and arm to try to see what's happening.
Old 11-05-2002 | 08:38 AM

yup

Yeah, that friend tip should come in handy. I will try that when I get a chance.
Old 11-05-2002 | 08:48 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: yup

Yeah, that friend tip should come in handy. I will try that when I get a chance.
Hey, I can help you the best I can if you can answer my questions. I am trying to figure out what is causing the binding.
Old 11-05-2002 | 08:56 AM

binding

I seriously think that the VB is not bolted up correctly. Cause the actual VB would have nothing to do with you not being able to move the shifter. So, check everything from the shifter linkage pin to the shifter itself. And if you have a friend, get him to try to move the shifter while you look at the linkage pin and arm to try to see what's happening.
Probably right, but I can't work on it again until this weekend.

Another question,... when you bolt up the VB and before you fill with fluid, are you able to get inside your car and move the shifter in anyway out of Park?
nope

I mean, are you sure that it's the VB to blame?
No, I think I tightened one side more than the other, causing the linkage pin to bind like you said.

Can you jiggle it in anyway? Or is it pretty tight?
I don't know, I didn't try to jiggle it after I tightened everything, I just made suer it was lined up. It sounds like I just have to take it off and put it back on with more even pressure, checking to make sure I can shift as I go.

Sorry for the ambiguity, I should have said the linkage pin was binding instead of 'it'.

I have to say, I really appreciate you going out of your way to help here.
Old 11-05-2002 | 10:39 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: binding

Ok, so you know that when the VB is removed, you are able to move the linkage pin in and out and spin it. If you can do this, then when the VB is installed, you should be able to spin it, except for the fact that the linkage arm is in the way. So, instead of spinning it, you should be able to turn it until the arm just gets in the way. Which is my definition is "jiggle". It will just jiggle pretty easily.

If the VB is not secured correctly, then the linkage pin will not go in and out parallel to the ground. It will be at an angle, which will bind it up.

Some tips: Do not overtighten the VB bolts. You should just tighten them until they are a little snug and then snug it up another 1/4 turn. This should be about 6-7 ft-lbs of torque. And make absolutely sure that the right bolts go in to right spots cause by putting a long bolt in a small bolt spot, you could puncter your tranny case and then all hell breaks lose.

Also, with all this VB work, be extra careful not to mess up the gasket that is exposed. This will be a pain to replace if you tear it. And it tears very easily. Some people have torn it with just a little shop towel.

Other than that, you should be ok. Just make sure the shifter moves before you fill it up with fluid or put the pan on. Let me know how it goes. Later.
Old 11-09-2002 | 04:05 PM

ah crap

Ok, fixed the binding problem, but now the wheels don't move (with them off the ground). I thought I might be screwed when the wheells didn't turn as the vb filled with fluid, and I knew I was when I left it in reverse for 10 mins and no wheel turn. When you shift into gear, it does change the engine rpms, so something has to be happening, just no wheel turn.
Old 11-09-2002 | 07:58 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: ah crap

Ok, fixed the binding problem, but now the wheels don't move (with them off the ground). I thought I might be screwed when the wheells didn't turn as the vb filled with fluid, and I knew I was when I left it in reverse for 10 mins and no wheel turn. When you shift into gear, it does change the engine rpms, so something has to be happening, just no wheel turn.
Oh man,... so you're able to move the shifter in gear and you definitely feel it shift into gear... but nothing happens when you give it a little gas?

Go back over the directions again and make sure you followed them. Is the accumulator spring in there? Did you plug in the VB? Did the shifter linkage arm fit nicely inside the linkage pin?

And what did you find that was causing the binding?
Old 11-09-2002 | 08:29 PM

pretty much

Well, since nothing happens, you don't really feel anything when you shift, you just see the tach respond. I have no clue what could be up. I guess I did something really bad in a previous life, and I am paying for it now

But yeah, the action of shifting is just as easy as it ever was (pre-mod), its just that it doesn't move the wheels. And I tried putting it back in neutral and turning the wheels myself to make sure they weren't locking up, and they move no problem.

On the bright side, now I can get my keys out and lock the car

Anyway, I don't have a clue as to what is wrong with it. Don was writing back and forth earlier, but I guess he went to bed for the night. I'll see what he says and post it here.
Old 11-09-2002 | 08:36 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: pretty much

Is the VB plugged in?

Is the accumulator spring installed correctly?

Also, don't listen to Don. Just make sure you recheck and then double check the installation instructions. Then, if everything else is ok... then you can give Don a call. Oh that's right, his customer service sucks so bad, that you can't even give him a call. You have to email him where he has the ability to ignore you if he wants to.

If you ever start having problems with Don... just give Jeff a call at Maximum Tuning and get this problem solved. That's what they did for me. They know how to diagnose problems b/c they actually understand the function of the VB, unlike Don.

Here's their number: 516-676-8470
Old 11-09-2002 | 09:14 PM

ouch

That's pretty rough. I appreciate the tip, but Don gave me his number. I just thought it would be rude to call at 10pm.

Is the VB plugged in?
If you mean the wiring harness, then yes, it sure is.

Is the accumulator spring installed correctly?
I put it on the plate and made sure it went into the hole towards the front of the vb (the plate closer to the linkage pin, rather than the one further away). I assume that is where it goes, right? There was a recess above there that the spring fit into perfectly, but I never really saw a diagram of where to put it.

Plus, I rechecked installation instructions about a thousand times. I spent 4 hours today making sure I did everything they said to do.
Old 11-09-2002 | 09:52 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: ouch

I put it on the plate and made sure it went into the hole towards the front of the vb (the plate closer to the linkage pin, rather than the one further away). I assume that is where it goes, right? There was a recess above there that the spring fit into perfectly, but I never really saw a diagram of where to put it.

Plus, I rechecked installation instructions about a thousand times. I spent 4 hours today making sure I did everything they said to do.
OMG... I sure hope you mean you put the spring in the hole that is farthest away from the linkage. If you have the VB removed... then if you look up inside the tranny case, you will see two black pistons. One piston has a 2 inch deep hole in it. And the spring slides in this hole perfectly. I sure hope you made sure the spring goes in this hole.

PLEASE say that you didn't somehow jam the spring in the way of the other piston. If you did, then that means that you couldn't possible have the VB seated correctly b/c there is no room to tighten the bolts all the way. And plus, you would have such a terrible fluid leak that your car will not shift into any gear. And you might have torn up the piston pretty bad.
Old 11-09-2002 | 10:03 PM

?
One piston has a 2 inch deep hole in it. And the spring slides in this hole perfectly. I sure hope you made sure the spring goes in this hole.
On the vb itself, there are two plates. I looked above where the two plates would be if the vb was installed to see which plate to put the spring on. There was only one place that the spring went without forcing (it slid in perfectly, as you described), but it was towards the front of the car, not the rear. Do you think it could be different b/t 3rd and 4th gens? Also, if it wasn't seated correctly, how could I shift? Wouldn't the linkage pin jam up?
Old 11-09-2002 | 10:14 PM
NWP Engineering.com

?

On the vb itself, there are two plates. I looked above where the two plates would be if the vb was installed to see which plate to put the spring on. There was only one place that the spring went without forcing (it slid in perfectly, as you described), but it was towards the front of the car, not the rear. Do you think it could be different b/t 3rd and 4th gens? Also, if it wasn't seated correctly, how could I shift? Wouldn't the linkage pin jam up?
The spot where the spring sits is in the front passenger side of the VB. It sounds like you have the VB seating properly. And it is possible to have the VB seating incorrectly but still able to move the linkage arm freely.

And no, the exterior of the VBs and the inside of the transmission cases are the same between the RE4F04V (3rd gen SE) and the RE4F04A (4th gen) trannies.

I am sorry that I can't find a solution to your problem. This has to be an installation issue. Please hope that Don did the VB right the first time. Unlike mine.

If Don ever says that your tranny is messed up and it's not the VB that is at fault... immediately call him a liar and give Jeff a call at the Maximum Tuning shop in NY. He will be happy to talk to the tranny techs and get an answer for you. Just say, Aaron from NC sent ya. 516-676-8470
Old 11-09-2002 | 10:30 PM

thanks

I really don't think you have to apologize for not finding a solution. The amount of time and effort you put into trying to help me straight suprised the hell out of me, and I think I owe you a thanks more than you owe me a sorry. Anyway, have a good one, and I'll post when I find a resolution.
Old 11-09-2002 | 10:33 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: thanks

I really don't think you have to apologize for not finding a solution. The amount of time and effort you put into trying to help me straight suprised the hell out of me, and I think I owe you a thanks more than you owe me a sorry. Anyway, have a good one, and I'll post when I find a resolution.
Yes, please do post here. And good luck dealing with Don. He does not deal with problems in a professional manner.
Old 11-11-2002 | 02:51 PM

shop

the car is at the shop right now. I'll see what they have to say
Old 11-11-2002 | 06:34 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: shop

the car is at the shop right now. I'll see what they have to say
What shop did you take it to? A regular tranny shop? Hopefully it'll be a problem they can fix. But, if it turns out to be the VB itself, don't let them fix it. And hopefully you won't have a problem getting Don to fix it for you.
Old 11-12-2002 | 07:45 AM

here's the thing

I think the vb is okay, and I just did something wrong. The reason I think this is because the first time I put it in, when it wasn't shifting, the wheels did turn before the tranny fluid circulated. The second time the wheels did not, though the shifting was okay. That kind of inconsistancy makes me think it is my fault, but we will see.
Old 11-12-2002 | 07:56 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: here's the thing

Post here when you get it fixed. And when you pick up your car, ask them what exactly they found wrong.