4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: What should I do with the rims?
Mount them and LEAVE THEM ALONE!
66.67%
Have them painted gunmetal.
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Dilemma- Paint rims or leave them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Dilemma- Paint rims or leave them?

I have some SWEET Mille Miglia MM-11 rims on the way to me. I have been feinin' for Gunmetal rims, BUT these were, after old OZ Monte Carlo rims, my favorite rims to fit the max (within reason, of course). I was even commenting about that in my post on the "fav rims for the max" thread yesterday.

Well, last night I found a used set that I could afford. They are the "MM-11 Plus" version. They look like the pic below:

Size is 16x 7.5, w/ 38 mm offset, lug pattern 5 x 114.3. I can use my existing 225/50/16 Sumitomos on them, which is good.
So wherein lies the dilemma, you ask? Because on my Pebble Beige max, I have always thought that Gunmetal rims would look good. I was thinking about painitng my OEM SE rims gunmetal, but then I found these. SO here is the question:

Do I leave them silver or have them painted gunmetal?
Old 11-05-2002, 01:56 PM
I'm needing a caw

Get them professionally powder coated to gunmetal. It will last longer and be tougher.

I HAVE painted rims in the past though. But I've used automotive cataylzed 2-step paints. Besides IMRON, this is about a tough as paint gets. But powder coating is even tougher.

What I worry about is if you get your rims painted. the tire machine might scratch the paint off the rims or it will flake off easy if you do a cheap/weak job. Ie.. using spray cans etc.
Old 11-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Get them professionally powder coated to gunmetal. It will last longer and be tougher.

I HAVE painted rims in the past though. But I've used automotive cataylzed 2-step paints. Besides IMRON, this is about a tough as paint gets. But powder coating is even tougher.

What I worry about is if you get your rims painted. the tire machine might scratch the paint off the rims or it will flake off easy if you do a cheap/weak job. Ie.. using spray cans etc.
Point taken. I thought about running them silver until spring then seeing how funds work out to have them PCed instead of just sending them out to be painted...
Old 11-05-2002, 02:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well if you have the tires mounted now, you will have to take them off (about $40-$50 to get them demounted and mounted) to get them powerder coated. So I figure it's either now or just leave them silver. They look great in that color.

How much did you pay?

Originally posted by phenryiv1
Point taken. I thought about running them silver until spring then seeing how funds work out to have them PCed instead of just sending them out to be painted...
Old 11-05-2002, 02:04 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

paint em gunmetal noooooooooooooooow. do em urself and get em professionally done later.
Old 11-05-2002, 02:10 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

paint em gunmetal noooooooooooooooow. do em urself and get em professionally done later.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:51 PM

leave 'em alone
Old 11-05-2002, 08:00 PM

Re: Dilemma- Paint rims or leave them?

I have some SWEET Mille Miglia MM-11 rims on the way to me. I have been feinin' for Gunmetal rims, BUT these were, after old OZ Monte Carlo rims, my favorite rims to fit the max (within reason, of course). I was even commenting about that in my post on the "fav rims for the max" thread yesterday.

Well, last night I found a used set that I could afford. They are the "MM-11 Plus" version. They look like the pic below:

Size is 16x 7.5, w/ 38 mm offset, lug pattern 5 x 114.3. I can use my existing 225/50/16 Sumitomos on them, which is good.
So wherein lies the dilemma, you ask? Because on my Pebble Beige max, I have always thought that Gunmetal rims would look good. I was thinking about painitng my OEM SE rims gunmetal, but then I found these. SO here is the question:

Do I leave them silver or have them painted gunmetal?
wanna sell your stock 16s ??? if so email me or something.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:57 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: Re: Dilemma- Paint rims or leave them?

Originally posted by Kashoggio
wanna sell your stock 16s ??? if so email me or something.
Emailed.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:59 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

As much as I want them painted, I think I am just going to leave them alone, at least until spring. I get free mount and dismount on the tires, so it will not be a big deal to have that done. If i had to pay, I would be in a different situation and try to have them painted before I mount them.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Disco Biscuit

So I'm not the only one running around with the MM-11's now? SWEET!!! I love mine BTW. Just be prepared to roll the rear fenders because the tires WILL scrub if theres weight in the back seat or you hit a bump, and your car is lowered....
Old 11-11-2002, 01:57 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Whitemax
So I'm not the only one running around with the MM-11's now? SWEET!!! I love mine BTW. Just be prepared to roll the rear fenders because the tires WILL scrub if theres weight in the back seat or you hit a bump, and your car is lowered....
Cool. Any pics?

I am at stock height, so I may not encounter your problem. Also, mine are not on YET...kinda p!$$e$ me off that the dude has not shipped them...