4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Are these signs of clutch wearing out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 05:44 AM

Are these signs of clutch wearing out?

Does the annoying "Maxima Clutch Groan" of the stock clutch go away with the ACT replacement? If so, I may get replace my clutch before it completely gives away. I am already getting chatter when the car is cold (which curiously goes away with some HIGHWAY driving on my daily commute). And I can feel some friction in moving parts when I push the clutch in and hear a squeaking sound while the clutch pedal is in motion (up or down).

On cold days, until the car is warmed up or has been driven around, there is an annoying groan on take off when slowing letting out the clutch (not riding the clutch). It's not very load but it is somewhat noticeable to me anyway. Also, on really cold mornings, there is a little bit of clutch chatter. Are these signs of a clutch going downhill? Thanks.

Aaron
Old 11-08-2002, 05:53 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

One thing u should do is open up that trainy fill-bolt and see if u have the right ammount of oil in there.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:42 AM
I'm so hood

No, they're not really signs of a clutch going out I don't think. If the "rumble" you speak of is met with a little bit of vibration in the clutch pedal, I've had the same thing since I bought my max last year...I figured the throwout bearing was shot.

You can search for a remedy for the squeak - it should just needs some lube in the right place.

A new clutch would most likely solve both problems, provided whoever installed it took the opportunity to grease up the proper points while they were down there. But unless your clutch is slipping (not chattering, groaning, or squeaking) there's no immediate worry about replacing it.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:59 AM

Originally posted by nadir_s
One thing u should do is open up that trainy fill-bolt and see if u have the right ammount of oil in there.
Well, I replaced the original oil this spring with red line oil. I filled it with the car up on ramps. Then I plugged it and rolled the car back down the ramps. Would that mean it could have been overfilled a little? Either way, I checked the oil again a few weeks ago when I changed the motor oil and the front was up on ramps. I put my finger in where the plug goes and only had to go down in about maybe 1/2" to an inch before reaching the oil. Is that satisfactory?

I do have a tranny oil leak somewhere. It is very small. No loss in oil level has been evident since I replaced the oil but there is always a residue on the bottom of the case. I checked the speed sensor and it is dry as a bone. I checked the filler plug and drain plug and they are both fine. The only other place I think it could be is the park/neutral switch. But that was replaced last winter.