4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Guys - please help !!! (bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 08:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Guys - please help !!! (bit long)

Fellow maxima.org members - please help , after extensive search i'm back to the starting point - ok here is the problem
few days ago I installed budget Y-pipe, everything was fine(no codes)
until I drive her hard - than I got code 0503 (EGR temp sensor )
ok here is the question - is it becouse I need new sensor or it's becouse increased flow of gases from the Y-pipe back to EGR system
or do I have to replace the EGR valve , BTW it's 97 SE (auto)with 112k - please provide me with any information
this problem drives me crazy - I want to enjoy the power from Y-pipe

also few day ago I was driving on expressway and I got the 0503 again
so I reseted the ECU and kept driving all of the sudden the Check Engine light started blinking erratically and than engine went to "fail safe mode" and it didn't shift in to 4th gear, that got me worried - I know it wasn't misfire it had to be EGR system
reseted the ECU again - but that didn't get the ECU out of fail safe mode, so I disconected the negative terminal and pumped the brake pedal - This helped !!!!

Please help me !!!! due to complexity of the EGR system I'm feeling totally helpless !!!!

V/R nick

97 SE (auto)black on black
kyb agx ,sprints,fstb,rsb,frankencar,budget y-pipe
tints all around , clear corners and tail tights
shaved butt
Old 11-08-2002, 08:54 AM

anybody ???

please help - any info would be pricelees

V/R
nick

97SE9(auto) kyb agx,sprints,fstb,rsb,frankencar,budget y-pipe
tint all around,clear corners front and back
shaved butt

all above mods - did it myself - anybody in chicagoland area needs help - please let me know ( have access to lift and air tools)
Old 11-08-2002, 09:39 AM

Well, once exhaust gas enters the Y pipe, it only flows one way, out. EGR re-circultaion has more to do with gases inside your oil pan or inside the heads. Those are re-routed back to the intake system. Not a major problem, but can be if left over time.

If your CEL blinks erratically, then it means that your car has a major problem, like a cylinder misfire. I would start by checking there. Check all your spark plugs and coils. The EGR error may just be as a result of the more major error.

hth

DW
Old 11-08-2002, 09:45 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Since it started after your install... check for damaged wiring and such... or it could be coincidental...
Old 11-08-2002, 03:51 PM

i'm soooooooooo stupid !!!!

thanks guys for replying !!!! I fell sooooo stupid now !!! I read the codes backwards it's 0503(upstream oxygen sensor or circuit fault -right bank) not 0305 (egr temp sensor)
the long flashes are the first number and the short one are the second !!!!! I will never make the same mistake again !!!!!!!!
and now the question I have to ask - right bank it's the second sensor on the Y-pipe looking from front of the car ,or is it the first one ???????
thanks for all Your help
Nick
Old 11-08-2002, 03:58 PM
What's next!?..

Ahh ok, that makes more sense. Check both. Maybe you didn't reinstall one correctly or something is loose.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:19 PM

Re: i'm soooooooooo stupid !!!!

The front of the motor is where all the belts are. Imagine how the engine would be oriented if the Maxima was a RWD vehicle. So, the right bank is the 3 cylinders in the back . . the rear part of the Y.

DW

Originally posted by nick
thanks guys for replying !!!! I fell sooooo stupid now !!! I read the codes backwards it's 0503(upstream oxygen sensor or circuit fault -right bank) not 0305 (egr temp sensor)
the long flashes are the first number and the short one are the second !!!!! I will never make the same mistake again !!!!!!!!
and now the question I have to ask - right bank it's the second sensor on the Y-pipe looking from front of the car ,or is it the first one ???????
thanks for all Your help
Nick