4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 SE. Hear a rattle when I hit bumps sometimes. Shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 11:48 AM

97 SE. Hear a rattle when I hit bumps sometimes. Shocks?

Okay I hear this sound only when my windows are down. I can't even hear it otherwise. The car seems to handle the same as it always has. If you have an idea of what the problem could be, tell me that and how much I might be looking at to get it fixed. Also, since I might be given the opportunity, what kind of upgrades could I get, assuming the problem is with a part that can be upgraded relatively inexpensively.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:39 PM

check under the front part of your max....it could be some loose under engine cover, sometimes the screws get loose and cause a rattle, faint rattle...that was my problem...new screws(and in my case new engine under guards) is the answer...
Old 11-12-2002, 05:21 AM

Is the noise from the front or the rear. I had a rattle from the rear that you could only hear with the windows open. Turned out that the anti-rattle clip on the rear brakes was rattling. Only my car can the anti-rattle clip rattle
Old 11-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check exhaust hangers

Sometimes they come loose. Sometimes, like the one if front of my cat converter, they rust through. In my case, one side of the two-sided hanger held on while the other hung loose and rattled only slightly if I hit a bump.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:19 AM
Former Sponsor

sounds like 4th gen build quality... or lack of it hehehe

the windows rattling when they are down thats normal too
Old 11-12-2002, 11:17 AM

Could be something to do with suspension,
But my bet is exhaust system.
The cat especially tends to rust out because it gets so hot.
My cat sheild came off and 2 of the hangers rusted out and it made a bunch noise over bumps.
Livivng in the NE doesn't help.
My dealer tried to sell me a whole new exh. system.
HA!
Garage across the street from work fixed it up for $65.
Old 11-12-2002, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by 95Max
Is the noise from the front or the rear. I had a rattle from the rear that you could only hear with the windows open. Turned out that the anti-rattle clip on the rear brakes was rattling. Only my car can the anti-rattle clip rattle
Off the top of my head, I would say the sound came from the back. At one time I was convinced that's where it was coming from but I listened more this weekend and it was really to hard to isolate the direction.

Hey don't diss 4th gen build quality
I have been pretty satisfied with the relative quiet of the car. Windows do rattle some when I close them and they're open. But that seems normal. I've been meaning to take the panel off the door to see what I can tighten and then that problem will be solved. The only other noise that gets to me is a faint squeak from the ac/heating fan. Anybody know the procedure for getting to it? I'll WD-40 that up and then that problem will be solved too. If the instructions are in the Haynes manual, tell me anything that you think would help me follow those directions more easily. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by 95Max
I know how people just abhor it when you resurrect old posts, but I gotta. 95Max, tell me more about this anti-rattle clip. I have discovered that while driving over a fairly continously bumpy road, when I have to brake, the sound stops, and then when I let off them I hear the rattle again. Is this what happens when an anti-rattle clip is loose? The exhaust hangers are fine. Nothing thereabouts rattles at all. My car was in Ohio for 38,000 miles or so before I bought it here in Alabama and I'm almost to 80K now, so salt and stuff haven't been too too big of a deal for me, as far as ruining stuff underneath. What do I say to Nissan? This should have been checked for the free car care month and when I bought pads and got the rotors turned on the front? Will they immediately know what I'm talking about? If I have to pay, how much money should I be out of?
Old 02-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Minimalmaxima
I know how people just abhor it when you resurrect old posts, but I gotta. 95Max, tell me more about this anti-rattle clip. I have discovered that while driving over a fairly continously bumpy road, when I have to brake, the sound stops, and then when I let off them I hear the rattle again. Is this what happens when an anti-rattle clip is loose?
Definately the anti rattle clip is lose. You can actually take the brake assembly apart and bend the clips to be tighter. That usually works. Check to see that the guide pins are properly lubbed and fit tight too. If there worn out, the caliper will move around to much.

Cost = $0.00 (Priceless)
Old 02-12-2003, 03:36 PM

Back Wheel Brake Kit Needed

Hey Whats Up,

I know how frustrating that rattle sounds because I had it happen for three months and no dealer could duplicate my problem. Finally I drove my 99 max with a tech and made him listen with the windows down. The rattle was coming from the back wheels. A brake kit was needed for the back wheels. It seems that my brake caliper was missing a spring which keeps in the lubrication. Once I had the brake kit installed, the car was quiet over bumps. The cost for this kit ran at a dealer for a price of $150.00. Good Luck!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Definately the anti rattle clip is lose. You can actually take the brake assembly apart and bend the clips to be tighter. That usually works. Check to see that the guide pins are properly lubbed and fit tight too. If there worn out, the caliper will move around to much.

Cost = $0.00 (Priceless)
Dude thanks for replying. Nissan told me today that the hardware kit is not there. I got Raybestos QuietStops or something or other put on by another shop and it appears that they just let it go. Is Nissan the only car where people do this? Raybestoses are supposed to be decent brakes, so why would there not be stuff to make them work on all cars? Could these morons have put the wrong brakes in or something? How come Nissan has to be so friggin hard to deal with? Anyway I'm told this is where the rattle is coming from. I mean it's loud too. It really does sound like the cat flapping or something, but that's for sure not it. I will see what I can do, short of getting new pads and the hardware with it as suggested by my friendly Nissan service rep, when he estimates (probably way underestimates) that I have 35% pad left. Another thing, shouldn't this noise be on both sides?
Old 02-13-2003, 07:30 AM

Re: Back Wheel Brake Kit Needed

Originally posted by NisMax615
Hey Whats Up,

I know how frustrating that rattle sounds because I had it happen for three months and no dealer could duplicate my problem. Finally I drove my 99 max with a tech and made him listen with the windows down. The rattle was coming from the back wheels. A brake kit was needed for the back wheels. It seems that my brake caliper was missing a spring which keeps in the lubrication. Once I had the brake kit installed, the car was quiet over bumps. The cost for this kit ran at a dealer for a price of $150.00. Good Luck!
Man-o-man thats a lot of dough to get rid of a noise. Is it essential? Will my brakes give out eventually if I don't do something about this? Also, is this brake kit you got for your back wheels something different from the hardware kit that comes with the pads? I think I'm gonna try to bend the clips or something first, whatever it was that njmaxseltd said.