4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Drag Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 09:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Drag Suspension

I was hoping to get some advice on what suspension setup to use if I want to have a drag suspension type of stiffness. I hope to eliminate all the wheelspin off-the-line.

Are there any manufacturers that actually make "drag kits" or drag suspension components for our cars? I have a 95 SE.

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2002, 10:57 AM

Re: Drag Suspension

Originally posted by speedemn
I was hoping to get some advice on what suspension setup to use if I want to have a drag suspension type of stiffness. I hope to eliminate all the wheelspin off-the-line.

Are there any manufacturers that actually make "drag kits" or drag suspension components for our cars? I have a 95 SE.

Thanks!
There is not a specific application but to get ris of the wheels hop try looking into like KYB AGX struts and set them for 4 and 8. That should stiffen it up a lot for you. Also check out warpspeed performance's webpage. They re finally getting going on the Radial arms which will help even more.

SuDZ
Old 11-14-2002, 11:25 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I hope to eliminate all the wheelspin off-the-line.

The only way to eliminate the spin is to add slicks. A stiff suspension will help, but tires are the key.

Dave
Old 11-14-2002, 11:33 AM
Banned

Thanks!
You don't want to eliminate ALL wheelspin off the line. If you do that, something will BREAK. But you do want it to be as minimal as possible.

What you want to do is eliminate as much weight transfer as possible, I do that by blocking the rear suspension so their is no movement. Check in my 1.8 video how much the rear springs compress, thats how you get out of the hole quickly.

Jim

PS YES Slicks are mandatory like Dave said if you want a good holeshot.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:39 PM

Re: Re: Drag Suspension

Originally posted by SuDZ

There is not a specific application but to get ris of the wheels hop try looking into like KYB AGX struts and set them for 4 and 8. That should stiffen it up a lot for you. Also check out warpspeed performance's webpage. They re finally getting going on the Radial arms which will help even more.

SuDZ
Yeah KYB AGX is what I was looking at as well. How about springs? Or would coilovers be better for this purpose?

I was considering Eibach Pro kit for springs or GC coilovers if I was going the coilover route. Any other option that would be stiffer?
Old 11-14-2002, 01:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Drag Suspension

Yeah KYB AGX is what I was looking at as well. How about springs? Or would coilovers be better for this purpose?

I was considering Eibach Pro kit for springs or GC coilovers if I was going the coilover route. Any other option that would be stiffer?
Well you might look at coilovers. On thing that Ground control does it let you pick how stiff they are etc. I think most people get the 350lbs on each spring but if you want it really stiff can look at like 450 or something.

SuDZ
Old 11-14-2002, 05:33 PM

Re: Re: Drag Suspension

Originally posted by Jime
What you want to do is eliminate as much weight transfer as possible, I do that by blocking the rear suspension so their is no movement. Jim
Can you be more specific on how you do this please?
Old 11-14-2002, 05:37 PM

doesnt cattman make 'drag suspension' coilovers?
Old 11-14-2002, 06:36 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Drag Suspension

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Can you be more specific on how you do this please?

I use a rubber spacers similar to a bump stop (they will work too). I jack the car up at the track and insert them on the shock rod and tighten up the clamp. The clamp in the picture has been replaced by hydraulic type clamps because the cheapies don't hold up too well. I put in 3 of these spacers or approx 3", this completely covers the shaft. When you drop the car down it sits up a bit but not much and compresses very little. Makes for a rough ride on the return road. If you push down on the rear of the car its almost rigid but really helps out quite a bit coming out of the hole.

I also strap down the front springs to limit their movement to around an inch or so, but that doesn't seem to make anywhere near the difference in limiting the weight transfer as the rear.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:56 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Drag Suspension

I use a rubber spacers similar to a bump stop (they will work too). I jack the car up at the track and insert them on the shock rod and tighten up the clamp.
Hey Jime!
Where did you buy the rubber material from? What should I be looking for specifically? I imagine I want something that's fairly dense but not so much that it's hard to "form" around the shock rod.
I also strap down the front springs to limit their movement to around an inch or so, but that doesn't seem to make anywhere near the difference in limiting the weight transfer as the rear.
Do you use two straps per side? What do you use? I should have checked out all these "little" details when I met you late summer!

Thx in advance.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:23 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drag Suspension

Originally posted by StygianMax

Hey Jime!
Where did you buy the rubber material from? What should I be looking for specifically? I imagine I want something that's fairly dense but not so much that it's hard to "form" around the shock rod.

Do you use two straps per side? What do you use? I should have checked out all these "little" details when I met you late summer!

Thx in advance.
I used those rubber spacers you can get at "Crappy Tire" that fit between the coils that are supposed to stiffen your springs. I cut and shape them on the band saw and sander.

You are right to want it fairly dense but not solid, you do need a bit of movement or it will be rigid.

Don't bother with the straps, I didn't find they helped much and are a pain to make and install. I used motorcycle strap tiedowns though if you are interested.

BTW I did not originate this stuff so I can't take credit. A lot of the stuff I try was learned back in the 60's with my 70 Challenger and I read a lot too. You can check out this url for some good info on just how much blocking helps.

http://www.cnw.com/~redline/launching.htm

Jim
Old 11-15-2002, 06:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drag Suspension

http://www.cnw.com/~redline/launching.htm

Jim [/B]
That's great info on that link. Thx.
Old 11-15-2002, 07:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Drag Suspension

Originally posted by SuDZ

Well you might look at coilovers. On thing that Ground control does it let you pick how stiff they are etc. I think most people get the 350lbs on each spring but if you want it really stiff can look at like 450 or something.

SuDZ
The GC coilovers will let you get a 450lb spring rate or are you referring to someone else? What is the range of adjustability on the GC? I wasn't able to find this on the website.

What about the cattman coilovers? Are they stiffer than GC? Anyone know the adjustability rate on these?

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2002, 09:30 AM
aka UNCDooD

wouldn't the heavy duty urethane engine mounts made bu Place Racing help reduce wheel hop as well?
Old 11-15-2002, 10:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drag Suspension

The GC coilovers will let you get a 450lb spring rate or are you referring to someone else? What is the range of adjustability on the GC? I wasn't able to find this on the website.

What about the cattman coilovers? Are they stiffer than GC? Anyone know the adjustability rate on these?

Thanks!
Now this was about a year ago.... but I called and they said they could bump it up almost to anything I wanted, they would mail me out the new stiffer spring rates for like 50 bucks over the regular price or could even sell them to me later on and have it installed myself. I did not see it on thewebsite but called and the guy who I talked to mentioned this. Do they still do it, was the guy just wrong, I have no idea but this is what he told me.

SuDZ