4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How do I fix the wipers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2002, 06:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do I fix the wipers?

My girlfriend just called me up and said the wipers aren't working. The motor goes (she can hear it) but the wipers don't move. I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow and see if I can try and fix it, but I'm worried that I'll have to pull the car to bits to get at them. I'm especially worried that I might have to muck around with the dashboard and completely muck it all up.

I know its pretty lame asking for advice when I haven't even seen the problem myself. I only recently got the car and I haven't had time to do realy anything with it, so it would be good to have some clue before I pull the toolbox out.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:58 AM
I need a truck

Re: How do I fix the wipers?

you won't have to go digging for them ... they're very much accessible
Old 11-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Shiver me timbers.

I have no advise for you, however I am having the same exact problem. The wipers will not move, but I can hear the motor running. Are you mechanically inclined? I know how to put gas in my car, but that is about it. If you could please post instructions on how to fix this I would really appreciate it. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2002, 08:27 AM

Not sure if its the same issue or not but I had to replace the linkage between the two wipers in my 3rd gen. Basically open the hood and try to get into the underneath your air vents...Just as an FYI it wasn't very much fun, but not to expensive either...
Old 11-15-2002, 11:26 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by time2reup
Not sure if its the same issue or not but I had to replace the linkage between the two wipers in my 3rd gen. Basically open the hood and try to get into the underneath your air vents...Just as an FYI it wasn't very much fun, but not to expensive either...
If you can hear the motor running, then the gears involved in it have become displaced or something. I'm sure you can open it up and take a look.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:16 PM

Most gears inside wiper motors are nylon. They are quiet and cheap to produce. However, you can strip the teeth off if you put a lot of stress on them like using your wipers to clear the foot of snow off your windshield. You can go to a junk yard and get a replacement, they are pretty easy to replace as well.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: How do I fix the wipers?

Originally posted by Ewan
My girlfriend just called me up and said the wipers aren't working. The motor goes (she can hear it) but the wipers don't move. I'm going to have a look at this tomorrow and see if I can try and fix it, but I'm worried that I'll have to pull the car to bits to get at them. I'm especially worried that I might have to muck around with the dashboard and completely muck it all up.

I know its pretty lame asking for advice when I haven't even seen the problem myself. I only recently got the car and I haven't had time to do realy anything with it, so it would be good to have some clue before I pull the toolbox out.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
I had this problem with my Toyota truck. Chances are the wiper transmission has disconnected form the ball joint it connects to on the motor. I haven't encountered this problem so I don't know how to get to it.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:25 PM

I am taking it both wipers are not moving and not just one? I had a friend with this issue recently and we just tightened up a bolt on the wiper. Just asking cause it could save you some time.

SuDZ
Old 11-15-2002, 04:37 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

i had this problem with a chevy S-10 that we use for a work vehicle. It sucked. When we took the arms off the ***** on the winshield, you could see the ***** turning, so obviously the wiper motor was fine. I pulled the nut out of the end of the wiper arm (the one that goes over the *****) and replaced it with a new one. It worked for a while, but then the arms stopped working again. I pulled it apart, to find that the nuts were staying on the ***** and turning, but the space where the nut fit into the wiper arm was stripped. I tried to fill the space with glue, and epoxy, even bondo. The nut kept going through. Finally, my boss gave me permission to just order new wiper arms for the damn thing. Once the new arms were on, it worked fine. The ****ed-up part was that about a week and a half after we got everything on the truck working fine (there were tranny probs, too), the kid driving it rear-ended someone at 60 MPH, and wrecked the damn thing.

Another thing, the other day i was in a parking lot at my local CVS, and i saw a maxima with a center mounted single blade....like hondas have. What gives? is that a mod, or do some 4th-gens come like that?