4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

90k tune up......how necassary is it???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 04:50 PM

90k tune up......how necassary is it???

I got new plugs in at around 70k, so those are good for a little while, new fuel filter went in around 80k. What else needs to be done and looked at?? Im at 92k right now, so its alittle past but is it really needed to take it into the shop and pay their rate? What all will they do if I take it there, and if not much, how long would it take me to do the whole bit myself?? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Shiver me timbers.

First off I would just like to tell you that I have 140k on my Max. and I have owned it since 55k. I have done one tune up on the car since I have had it and can report no problems whatsoever. I would never take my car to a dealer and pay their rates. Also, they always find some bullsh1t minor problem that they want you to drop 500 bucks on. I hate dealerships. Either do it yourself, or take it to a private place and tell them what you want done. Nothing more, nothing less. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally, I would take it to the dealer for the following reasons:
Timing - they use Consult
CO level - I don't have a tester
Idle speed - they use consult
rotor/ignition cap - not difficult to do, but I'd rather have them do it
AC - besides checking the temp and pressure, i can't do much
Analyze engine - again, no consult
Fuel Injection service - eh...i could do this myself
brake and clutch fluid - i hate disposing the stuff
engine flush - this alone costs $80

Other than that, I can do the 30k myself.
Jae
Old 11-19-2002, 07:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxfanfromohio
First off I would just like to tell you that I have 140k on my Max. and I have owned it since 55k. I have done one tune up on the car since I have had it and can report no problems whatsoever. I would never take my car to a dealer and pay their rates. Also, they always find some bullsh1t minor problem that they want you to drop 500 bucks on. I hate dealerships. Either do it yourself, or take it to a private place and tell them what you want done. Nothing more, nothing less. Good luck.
TOTALLY AGREE! There are so many locally-owned shops who have been around for years, and wouldn't be if they didn't have a good reputation and repeat business. Find one, form a relationship with them (don't be nasty from day one) and if you don't like them after 3 trips on the easy stuff, go somewhere else.

Maintain the obvious stuff (filters, plugs, antifreeze, fluids, CV boots), rely on your ECU for codes, and rely on these great forums to help you diagnose & fix the rest.

Sometimes it's a trade-off between time & money, but I love learning new skills and new things about my car. I just feel more confident in the vehicle when I know what's going on under the hood...
Old 11-19-2002, 08:36 PM

Thanks guys. So what all can I do myself then besides what I already listed?? I check fluid levels and what not when the oil is changed, and everything is going good.

Ill prolly do it all myself during christmas break now, well, at least what I can do...lol
Old 11-19-2002, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
Personally, I would take it to the dealer for the following reasons:
Timing - they use Consult
CO level - I don't have a tester
Idle speed - they use consult
rotor/ignition cap - not difficult to do, but I'd rather have them do it
AC - besides checking the temp and pressure, i can't do much
Analyze engine - again, no consult
Fuel Injection service - eh...i could do this myself
brake and clutch fluid - i hate disposing the stuff
engine flush - this alone costs $80

Other than that, I can do the 30k myself.
Jae

As part of normal maintenance the items you listed above do not really need to be done.

Timing - automatically set by engine, not adjustable
CO level - as long as you pass smog, right?
Idle speed - cannot be adjusted, except by that idle screw, but the ECU will reset idle speed anyways
Rotor/ignition cap - 4th gens don't have that
AC - if its cold, leave it alone
Analyze engine - if you are not pulling any codes, you're fine
Brake and clutch fluid - change these when the brakes or clutch need servicing by themselves, not at set mileage intervals
Engine flush - if you've been changing your oil regularly, this is not needed either

Hope this helps. I agree about the independent mechanic part. Find a good local garage and get only what needs to be done over there. No need to pay the dealer for the package services which amount to nothing more than charging you while your car sits in their parking lot and not being worked on.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:49 PM

a haynes manual is a good investment if you want to do your own maintenance.