4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Had Porterfield R4-S pads installed last week...impressions/questions (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 01:50 PM

Had Porterfield R4-S pads installed last week...impressions/questions (kinda long)

Thought I would share my experiences since this seems to be a popular topic.

I had my new pads installed last week after ordering them from Porterfield using the org discount. Total price with shipping was ~$130. A little more than OEM pads from Courtesy and definetly more than Axxis pads, but after doing LOTS of research I thought these would be the best for me.

First impressions after about 1 week of driving with them...they feel really good. Initial bite is not that strong at all, allowing for smooth modulation. But once you sink into the pedal a bit they really clamp down. As compared to my old worn out OEM pads these are much more confidence-inspiring. Very little fade noticed yet, although I don't have many roads for spirited driving in my area. I agree with what others say about them needing to warm up to operating temp...the first stop or two of the morning is kinda scary. But after very minimal use they feel great. Dust also seems to be minimal. I washed my car a couple days before having them installed and my wheels still look pretty clean.

Bottom line...I would recommend them to someone looking for good high performance street brakes, even at the price. Only downside seems to be no wear indicator, and that doesn't really bother me.

Questions...my local shop (that i trust vey much) charged $210 to install them, including resurfacing of all 4 rotors and flushed brake lines. That seems pricey to me, any opinions? Also, since there are no wear indicators on them, is there a good way to know when the pads are running out of life other than visual inspection?
Old 11-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your impression of how these pads perform, including the warm up stops are exactly the same as the Metal Masters I'm running. Only the Metal Masters were about 1/2 the price and come with wear indicators.

Your install price sounds about right. Glad they flushed the brake fluid out for you. Thats so important yet, only a few actually replace their fluid!

Enjoy your new pads!
Old 11-20-2002, 02:42 PM

Porterfields on resurfaced/new rotors take some time to get broken in. I remember I had new rotors with Porterfield R4S and they were downright scary for the first few stops on a cold morning! I'm on my second set of Porterfields now (the fronts lasted 25k) and they are absolutely fantastic.
Old 11-20-2002, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Your impression of how these pads perform, including the warm up stops are exactly the same as the Metal Masters I'm running. Only the Metal Masters were about 1/2 the price and come with wear indicators.

Your install price sounds about right. Glad they flushed the brake fluid out for you. Thats so important yet, only a few actually replace their fluid!

Enjoy your new pads!
Yeah, in the end it came down to either Metal Masters or R4-S, so it was kind of a toss-up. Believe me, I would've much rather paid your price!

Two things swayed me in the end though--1)People talking about the MMs dusting a lot. 2)People talking about the MMs being noisy. I didn't hear either of these complaints about the R4-Ss.

Without being able to compare them side-to-side, who can really say which is best.

By the way, your car is awesome.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by SE Maxima

Yeah, in the end it came down to either Metal Masters or R4-S, so it was kind of a toss-up. Believe me, I would've much rather paid your price!

Two things swayed me in the end though--1)People talking about the MMs dusting a lot. 2)People talking about the MMs being noisy. I didn't hear either of these complaints about the R4-Ss.

Without being able to compare them side-to-side, who can really say which is best.

By the way, your car is awesome.

Actually I find that the Porterfields dust up quite a bit. The dust is a reddish color too. But other than that, they are great pads, very firm stops and life comparable to the OEM pads.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:35 PM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Eric L.

Actually I find that the Porterfields dust up quite a bit. The dust is a reddish color too. But other than that, they are great pads, very firm stops and life comparable to the OEM pads.
Same here. Lots of dust, but well worth it.

I have also NEVER noticed a need for them to warm up. They always stop just fine (not that I would try a 90mph stop as the first stop with ANY cold brake bad).