4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

anyone else have #$%*ed up speedometer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 09:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

anyone else have #$%*ed up speedometer?

My max has 143,000 miles and my speedometer is on the blitz. It's been doing it for a while but now it is getting worse and I can't stand it. Sometimes when I'm driving down the road, it just falls down to zero. If I knock (or beat) on it some, it jumps back up to normal. I replaced the speed sensor but didn't fix it. Also my cruise control is messed up. When I push the set button, the light only flashes if it comes on at all. I don't know if they could be related. I need to get this fixed before I mess up something else when I beat on the dash to get the speedometer working again. Thanks for the help. I think this site is really cool. I almost want to get another max when I trade just because of all of the cool info everyone posts.

Andrew
Old 11-21-2002, 12:18 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Re: anyone else have #$%*ed up speedometer?

Originally posted by andrew23
My max has 143,000 miles and my speedometer is on the blitz. It's been doing it for a while but now it is getting worse and I can't stand it. Sometimes when I'm driving down the road, it just falls down to zero. If I knock (or beat) on it some, it jumps back up to normal. I replaced the speed sensor but didn't fix it. Also my cruise control is messed up. When I push the set button, the light only flashes if it comes on at all. I don't know if they could be related. I need to get this fixed before I mess up something else when I beat on the dash to get the speedometer working again. Thanks for the help. I think this site is really cool. I almost want to get another max when I trade just because of all of the cool info everyone posts.

Andrew
My first Jeep used to do that. Only when it was cold, though. I just chalked it up to good 'ole American know-how. I guess it spans the globe, though...
Old 11-21-2002, 12:21 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Andrew
I have a working speedometer from a 95/96 that I can send you. I don't remember how many miles are on the odometer, but I can check for you this weekend if you want. Just send me an email or PM if you want mine. My tachometer started doing something similar a few months ago and replacing it fixed the problem (I guess the magnets that turn the needle were screwed up somehow).
Old 11-21-2002, 12:24 PM

I have the exact same problem. Not with the cruise, but with the speedo. My guess is that it's a loose wire somewhere in the dash. Why else would it suddenly work when you beat on the dash? I'm just not motivated enough to take the gague cluster out and look at all the connections.

Someone correct me if my assumption is warped.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by maxima4me
I have the exact same problem. Not with the cruise, but with the speedo. My guess is that it's a loose wire somewhere in the dash. Why else would it suddenly work when you beat on the dash? I'm just not motivated enough to take the gague cluster out and look at all the connections.

Someone correct me if my assumption is warped.
I guess I will just check to see if there is a loose connection in the back. If so, then I will check on getting another one or just deal with it until I get rid of my max. Thanks for the replies

Andrew
Old 01-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

same thing here.

Replaced the speed sensor a month ago and still no fix to the problem. Most of the time it works fine but more frequently now the speedometer will die after taking off from a stop and then pick up around 15-35 mph and work fine. Very occasionally it won't start working until after a couple miles...but usually after it jumps back up it stays working...until the next trip.

If i hit the trip-ometer reset button when its not working the speedometer will jump up and read an accurate speed but then will drop to zero when I let the button go. Also, I have the problem much less frequently when I let the car run for ~1 minute after start-up.
Old 04-16-2003, 06:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Andrew
I have the exact same problem, and if i smack the top of the Guage cluster, it jumps back to life too.. Im worried that my Speedo may be shot, or on its way out.. i got the TCU dig as a falty speed sensor, but from what it looks like getting that fixed wont do anything.. what should i do? or where should i take my Guage cluster to get fixed?
Old 04-16-2003, 08:26 PM

Ditto! more frequently the speedo stays at 0 for few minutes then jumps to correct levely; I've no idea what causes it, I'll check back to see if anyone knows the mechanics of this proble.
Old 04-17-2003, 04:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by tyrotrader
Ditto! more frequently the speedo stays at 0 for few minutes then jumps to correct levely; I've no idea what causes it, I'll check back to see if anyone knows the mechanics of this proble.

I replaced the speed sensor but no good. I am hoping to get another guage cluster soon so I can swap it out.

For everyone that has the problem, have you noticed a loss in power from it?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2003, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by tyrotrader
I'm in the very late stages of this problem. At first it would jump up and down but now it's just stuck at zero, even if I smack it....nothing. From time to time though when I'm cruising it'll jump back up for a second but that's about it.

Have you noticed it doesn't count the mileage when it hits 0??
Old 04-17-2003, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by Kehops

I'm in the very late stages of this problem. At first it would jump up and down but now it's just stuck at zero, even if I smack it....nothing. From time to time though when I'm cruising it'll jump back up for a second but that's about it.

Have you noticed it doesn't count the mileage when it hits 0??
Same thing here... speedo comes in and out. Most of the time it works, but just drops to zero, or sometimes gets stuck at some speed, or sometimes jumps to 85 and stays there! Mileage doesnt click when it happens. Speed control WILL work when the speedometer is not working on my car, which would lead me to believe its not the speed sensor.

I've tried banging on the dash, no help... Oddly enough, turn the car off, turn it back on, works again. Could it be some sort of short somewhere? Seems to happen all at one time, its been working for a few months straight now, but earlier this year, Jan/Feb, happened almost everytime I drove the car, would bounce in and out. Very wierd.

-----------
Brent
97 SE 5 sp. no mods.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: anyone else have #$%*ed up speedometer?

Originally posted by Norel

I have the exact same problem, and if i smack the top of the Guage cluster, it jumps back to life too.. Im worried that my Speedo may be shot, or on its way out.. i got the TCU dig as a falty speed sensor, but from what it looks like getting that fixed wont do anything.. what should i do? or where should i take my Guage cluster to get fixed?

I just bought a new cluster from a junkyard, had it put in and have had no problems since. Hope it works for you guys too.

Andrew
Old 04-17-2003, 08:47 AM
V^___^V

i have 95 GXE and i have euro gauges installed with red-painted needles. after the installation my tachometer and speedometer does not indicates properly. my temperature gauge was over "H" the whole time.

anywayZ, i took out the gauge cluster, applied some double-sided 3M tapes at all corners around the gauge to make sure it is being pushed down all the way. then i took my nail-cutter, trimmed off the parts tat's stickin out in the center of the gauge needle to prevent the needle makin contact against the gauge face.

for the cruise control, it got jacked up after i tightened my throttle cable. i do suggest tighten the throttle cable but not too much, cuz if u have automagic it'll shift really fast and u'll have horrible control over ur gearing. in addition, the cruise control will not recongnize the new settin therefure the cruise will not apply.... at least not until the ECU relearns how to cruise.

so yea... tat's how i fixed it until recently my temp gauge got jacked up again, but i'm too lzy to take out the gauge cluster again... anywayZ i hope my lil tech info will help. if any additional information regarding fixing this problem or anythin i did wrong please reply.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:37 AM
I aim to misbehave.

Originally posted by Speebs

I have a working speedometer from a 95/96 that I can send you. I don't remember how many miles are on the odometer, but I can check for you this weekend if you want. Just send me an email or PM if you want mine. My tachometer started doing something similar a few months ago and replacing it fixed the problem (I guess the magnets that turn the needle were screwed up somehow).

I still have this if anyone wants it
Old 04-17-2003, 04:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: anyone else have #$%*ed up speedometer?

Originally posted by Speebs

I still have this if anyone wants it
you have mail
Old 06-15-2003, 03:43 PM

bump
Old 06-15-2003, 03:58 PM
ivelweyz

did you check whether it's a loose wire somewhere behind the gauge cluster...

Old 06-15-2003, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its the speedo itself. You have to replace it. Its a common problem on 95-96's.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by Slickismax
Its the speedo itself. You have to replace it. Its a common problem on 95-96's.
yep i was throwing a speedo code in my tranny computer and i took it to banner here in on Long Island in NY, and the guys where saying that in a lot of jap cars, their are two speed sensors, on in the Tranny on in the cluster, he said the tranny speedo was fine as was the revolution sensor, and he suggested having the cluster looked at. next step is to get the cluster examined but im in no rush, not really doing it as much as it use to, knock on wood
Old 06-24-2003, 08:34 PM
WaZ

Same problem.. Speeodo goes on and off. Got a new speed sensor put in.. no help. checked the wiring from the sensor to the cluster.. no problem. which means it has to be the cluster. Now the problem is, I got a used cluster from a junkyard and it has way more mileage than mine. Does anyone know if i can calibrate the mileage? I mean.. it has to be legal, i'm just trying to be match it to my current mileage. Any shops offering this kind of service?
Old 06-24-2003, 10:06 PM

I don't have a problem w/ the speedo so much as the tachometer, the needle doesn't rise and fall smoothly but in jerky movements Like in small increments or something. This happens maybe 2/3 of the time. Maybe the problems are related?

greg

]
Old 06-25-2003, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by greg82
I don't have a problem w/ the speedo so much as the tachometer, the needle doesn't rise and fall smoothly but in jerky movements Like in small increments or something. This happens maybe 2/3 of the time. Maybe the problems are related?

greg

]
Let me guess, you have after market guage faces. Jerking is a common sign of needle stick-age. Take the dash apart and put more tape on it, or whatever, the face is rubbing against the needle. Mine does it in the hot weather too. Just part of the fun of having after market guages.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Dev

Andrew
if you find that the odometer stops along with the speedo, it could be the transmission sensor...which is located a few inches under the MAF sensor. im not sure what the technical name is...its a little black plug.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by Dev

if you find that the odometer stops along with the speedo, it could be the transmission sensor...which is located a few inches under the MAF sensor. im not sure what the technical name is...its a little black plug.
i belive the speed sensor is the one under the MAF
Old 06-26-2003, 07:49 PM
The original VQ...

I got the same problem exept its with my tach, it works up to about 2k and works better when it feels like it. It realy pi$$es me off.Any body know if this is comon on 95-96's to?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:23 AM
Custom User Title...

did any of you guys fix this? i tried a spare gauge cluster i have and it still didn't work. would that make it the sensor on the transmission? i am not really comfortable driving around not know how fast i'm going and not putting miles on my car. help would be appreciated
Old 11-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My odometer & trip odo have stopped working, but all the gauges are fine. Could it be the tranny sensor??????

...somewhere in the 92,000 mile range