4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

door pillar problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 06:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

door pillar problem please help

.. crap... i decided for this weekend project to peel off the black door panel stickers of my max..everything went smooth until the last one..the passenger front side... i tried to find teh sticker and there isnt one.. i looked rel carefully and realized that the door was sanded and painted..(guess previous owner had a fender bender) but the pillar on that side is painted black.nuthing to peel off.so i have 3 black emerald green door pillars and 1 black one.what should i do..how much would it cost just to pain liek lil door pillar? any siggestions on what i should do?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:48 PM

Re: door pillar problem please help

Originally posted by Max Noob
.. crap... i decided for this weekend project to peel off the black door panel stickers of my max..everything went smooth until the last one..the passenger front side... i tried to find teh sticker and there isnt one.. i looked rel carefully and realized that the door was sanded and painted..(guess previous owner had a fender bender) but the pillar on that side is painted black.nuthing to peel off.so i have 3 black emerald green door pillars and 1 black one.what should i do..how much would it cost just to pain liek lil door pillar? any siggestions on what i should do?
was it a mission to peel them off??i was planing on doing the same thing, but i'm a little hesitant
Old 11-27-2002, 12:41 AM

mission, not really.
Getting all the glue off with a towel and GOO-Gone...yes! took me 20 min. per pillar to get it all done right. But in the end, its all worth it!
Old 11-27-2002, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Shoooter_j
mission, not really.
Getting all the glue off with a towel and GOO-Gone...yes! took me 20 min. per pillar to get it all done right. But in the end, its all worth it!
thanks for the info
Old 11-27-2002, 06:27 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got pics of this on my homepage on a white max though... if it helps any
Old 11-27-2002, 08:24 PM

Re: door pillar problem please help

Originally posted by Max Noob
Your options as I see it:

A) Cost Effective: prep the pillars by wetsanding (finest grit u can find) & mask them off reeeeeeeeealllly well (Cover the car somehow to prevent overspray while you're at it), then spray all pillars with a black semi-gloss enamel paint. (Not what you wanted, originally, but it's the cheapest way to get out of this sticky situation & have it look decent - if you're good w/ paintwork).

B) Thrifty: go to a bodyshop & get the 1 pillar painted to match. You could take this opportunity to have any other paintwork you need done on the car taken care of. Were you considering getting a front lip? A bodykit? Now may be the time to move on that. Two birds, one stone - you know the deal.

The problem? When you have ANY amount of paintwork done, you incur a base charge for the shop to crack the seal on new paint and mix/blend it for you. This fee is the bulk of the cost on small jobs, so if you've got other stuff to paint on the car, now's the time to do it, should you decide to go this route.

Bummer, man. . .bummer. -I bet you were thinking: sheeeiit, 4 sections to peel and I end up discovering the painted section AFTER the other 3 are stripped off! Ugh!

Good luck to ya.
Old 11-27-2002, 10:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 96shogunmax
I got pics of this on my homepage on a white max though... if it helps any
me too, except is on a Stering Mist, and its well worth the effort