4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Can I make the antenna stay down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 08:31 PM

Can I make the antenna stay down?

Since I don't listen to radio much, is there a way I can make it stay down when I turn on my cd player? But I still want it to get up when I turn the radio on.
Old 11-24-2002, 08:40 PM

Re: Can I make the antenna stay down?

Originally posted by Max-2-GTR
Since I don't listen to radio much, is there a way I can make it stay down when I turn on my cd player? But I still want it to get up when I turn the radio on.
I assume you are referring to an aftermarket CD player. I do not believe that this is exactly possible (or at least easy) to do. What would be easy is to install a switch that you could flip anytime you want the antenna up. To me however, that is more annoying than it going up and down everytime you turn on the CD player. You may try searching the audio forum, this has been discussed before.

Brett
Old 11-24-2002, 10:14 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Hmm on mine, the antenna stays down when I turn on the CD. The antenna only goes up when I am on the radio. I have the Bose stereo system.
Old 11-25-2002, 04:18 AM

It depends on yer stereo. There's a lead called "antenna" on the back of the deck, and it only depends on when it thinks the antenna should go up. So there are 2 options:

1) Someone hooked up the antenna lead from your car to the power lead of your deck (instead of the antenna lead).

-or-

2) The antenna was attached properly, but your stereo signals it to go up whether you're listening to CD or stereo.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

most aftermarket head units are lazy...if they are on, the antenna's up. The stock head units are smart and will lower the antenna if they are not playing the radio. I would put an in-line switch on the antenna lead. Or, you can sell me your power antenna!
Jae
Old 11-25-2002, 06:47 AM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

yeah

you just need to get a stero that leaves it down when the cd player is on
Old 11-25-2002, 08:10 AM

i did this on a 98 and 99 se max, i have the 98 and put in a after market cd player. i put a switch on the antenna so it would not go up if i dont want it to.
***switch is wire to the dash of the car.
things you need. (radioshack)
1-switch
2-some 20 gauge wires

Step 1:
Think of where you want to put the switch (put mind on the front dash)
Setp 2:
take out the carpet from the trunk
Step 3:
take out the oem jack and located the antenna motor
Step 4:
find the plug that is connected to the motor and unplug it
Step 5:
cut the middle wire and attached the wires you bought (use some electrical tape to wrap it up) and pull the wires to the switch.
(for me i took out the backseats and the kickstands on the car so i could hide the wires)
Step 6:
connected everything and test the switch.
(if it dont work, check the wiring and secirty of the wires, if it still dont work, make sure you cut the middle wire and not the other ones, there is only three wires)
Now test it out. if dont put everything back in.
hope this helps
pull it to the switch
Old 11-25-2002, 08:18 AM
I aim to misbehave.

Originally posted by taggate
i did this on a 98 and 99 se max, i have the 98 and put in a after market cd player. i put a switch on the antenna so it would not go up if i dont want it to.
***switch is wire to the dash of the car.
things you need. (radioshack)
1-switch
2-some 20 gauge wires

Step 1:
Think of where you want to put the switch (put mind on the front dash)
Setp 2:
take out the carpet from the trunk
Step 3:
take out the oem jack and located the antenna motor
Step 4:
find the plug that is connected to the motor and unplug it
Step 5:
cut the middle wire and attached the wires you bought (use some electrical tape to wrap it up) and pull the wires to the switch.
(for me i took out the backseats and the kickstands on the car so i could hide the wires)
Step 6:
connected everything and test the switch.
(if it dont work, check the wiring and secirty of the wires, if it still dont work, make sure you cut the middle wire and not the other ones, there is only three wires)
Now test it out. if dont put everything back in.
hope this helps
pull it to the switch

Much easier than this is to just find the "antenna" wire that comes out of the back of the wiring harness for the headunit (I *believe* it is the blue one) and splice a switch into it. That's what I did on mine and it works beautifully (I even wired a little LED in too).
Old 11-25-2002, 08:34 AM

that sounds easier but i dont want to mess around with that much wires. afarid to screw it up
Old 11-25-2002, 08:53 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by taggate
that sounds easier but i dont want to mess around with that much wires. afarid to screw it up
Then go get a new headunit. My Alpine (CDA-7940) only puts the antenna up when I have the radio on. Put a CD in and it goes down. This headunit is about 2 years old mind you and it's not "lazy" at all when it comes to this feature.

If you're afraid to do it, then you should just take it somewhere. Oh and you still haven't answered our question as to whether it's aftermarket or not. If it is aftermarket, what brand and model is it?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:12 AM

Switch

I thought I was the only person who would do something like this. I wired a $2 button switch from radio shack to the antenna wire coming from the back of my pioneer HU. It was an easy job to do. For my pioneer HU it was the blue wire which is labled ANT/AMP. Job took about 30 min, hardest part was removing center dash to get to the wires.
Old 11-25-2002, 09:22 AM
aka UNCDooD

shave the antenna and put a small one on the roof, kinda like the Lexus IS300. (i think that has an antenna on the roof)
Old 11-25-2002, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

If you're afraid to do it, then you should just take it somewhere. Oh and you still haven't answered our question as to whether it's aftermarket or not. If it is aftermarket, what brand and model is it?
Yeah, it's an aftermarket but I don't know the model since it came with the car when I bought it used but it's an maybe 4 years old pionner.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:44 PM

thats the second thing I hate about my Pioneer 6400
Old 11-25-2002, 04:12 PM

My antenna was broke. It never came up, which is good. FM radio is LAME and the car looks better, i'd actually like to just shave the antenna off.
Old 11-25-2002, 05:40 PM
CaLSoNiC

Be cool... remove the stupid big ugly crappy looking antenna.... get the hole filled, and add a slick looking roof antena like rally cars, the ones that flop around and stuff

Old 11-27-2002, 12:06 PM

I just checked the model and it's a pionner KEH-P6200. Oh yeah and BTW, one side of it doesn't light up, how can I fix that?
Old 11-27-2002, 12:16 PM

I drive my friends 92 saab at times, and the antenna goes down each time you put a cd in, it is very annoying, I do not reccomend it. What I do recomend is gettin the Lexus? antenna (the small black one on the back of the roof) and replacing yoru stock one with that.
Old 11-27-2002, 12:46 PM
xarfox

Re: Can I make the antenna stay down?

Originally posted by Max-2-GTR

depends on the head unit

you must have aftermarket otherwise somthing is seriously wrong with your factory system

you have to reverse the polarity in the antenna power wire that goes to the head unit so it says DOWN when it wants to go UP

i have the same problem but haven't gotten around to fixing it.

Old 11-27-2002, 02:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Someone at the dealership said that the antenna is for am radio only and the other antenna for fm was in the back window?? is this true?
Old 11-27-2002, 02:34 PM
aka UNCDooD

Originally posted by CWEB
Someone at the dealership said that the antenna is for am radio only and the other antenna for fm was in the back window?? is this true?

nope the antenna is supposed to stay down while playing cd's/tapes and is supposed to go up while listening to AM/FM radio.