4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 12:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brake pads

I'm about to perform a brake job on my 99 maxima SE, and am wondering if anyone knows of the best pads to get a good balance of minimal brake dust, optimum grasp, and MINIMAL squeeling. I've heard Raybestos's quiet stop ceramic pads are good, but have heard that they were nothin but headaches for maximas. Anye feedback?
Old 11-26-2002, 12:29 PM
Ramius83

I gave up on trying to find less-dusting brake pads because no matter what, there will always be dust. I just went with Bendix pads and I clean my wheels every week...

Old 11-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Nippon's (thepartsbin.com) have great grip, but have notable squeeling....
Old 11-26-2002, 01:57 PM

I have the Qs pads for about 1 year and have had no problems, you do get some dust from them over a longer time but the dust is not as black or thick and is easier to remove from rims than the cheaper pads.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:07 PM
aka UNCDooD

Originally posted by nitroz
I have the Qs pads for about 1 year and have had no problems, you do get some dust from them over a longer time but the dust is not as black or thick and is easier to remove from rims than the cheaper pads.

where'd you get them from?
Old 11-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Axis Metal Masters
Old 11-26-2002, 03:00 PM

I have tried every brake pad on the market and have them for proof..

EBC green stuff and EBC red stuff are garbage.

Stillen is alright but way to over priced.

nippons are garbage. They do not last.

The best pads you can get on a maxima right now is RAYBESTOS Quiet Stop.

Get them from like pep boys. about 60 bucks but well worth it.
my 2cents.
Trance
Old 11-26-2002, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmm...no one mentioned Porterfields. The R4S is a really good street pad, IMO. It's carbon kevlar, quiet, excellent grip, but it does dust somewhat. However, I think brake dust should be the least of your concerns because all you need to do is hose down your wheels. The R4S is pretty expensive but you'll get a discount if you call Porterfield and mention the org.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:49 PM

All in all for price and quietness and performance.
Raybestos.
I use them on PowerStop cross drilled rear and bembo slotted front.
Trance
Old 11-26-2002, 10:30 PM

Porterfield R4S are the best pads, bar none, I have used on a Maxima.

Unfortunately they dust like there's no tomorrow. (I honestly could care less though )

Axxis Ultimates are supposed to be just as good or better- the SE-R guys love 'em.

Axxis/Stillen Metal Masters don't dust as much as the Porterfields, but they do squeak sometimes.

If you want less dust, try something other than what's mentioned here, IMHO.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:56 PM

Re: Brake pads

Originally posted by J.Daniel
I'm about to perform a brake job on my 99 maxima SE, and am wondering if anyone knows of the best pads to get a good balance of minimal brake dust, optimum grasp, and MINIMAL squeeling. I've heard Raybestos's quiet stop ceramic pads are good, but have heard that they were nothin but headaches for maximas. Anye feedback?
PERFORMANCE FRICTION the best ones so far i ever had on my maxima.Sombody mentioned them to me i took his word and went to local autozone and got them for 31.99 plus tax, and man they are good or what.. i mean they really stop the car the brakes are firm no saggy feeling nuffing.. but upto you if you want to spend more money.
-Sal
Old 11-27-2002, 01:00 AM

Axxis aren't good for our cars cause they can't handle the load.
If your a normal driver that wants some dust get porterfield.

Performance friction aren't good if you have cross drilled rotors and but then again nothing is good if you have x-drilled.

I still say Raybestos. If you want long pad life, very little to no squeal and get breaking.

I drive like a lunatic so i change pads every 3 months but with raybestos it's now up to 5 to 6 months.
Old 11-27-2002, 03:40 AM

Re: Brake pads

Originally posted by J.Daniel
Bought Raybestos QS Ceramic Pads at Pep Boys. $56 for fronts and $46 for rears. Have about 2000 miles on them, no noise, very little dust and improved braking performance. If I had to do it all over I would get them again. Check caliper pins very carefully when you do brake job!
Old 11-27-2002, 06:44 AM

As everyone else has said Pep Boys is the place to get Raybestos Qs pads.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:22 AM

Re: Re: Brake pads

Originally posted by maximumpower96
PERFORMANCE FRICTION the best ones so far i ever had on my maxima.Sombody mentioned them to me i took his word and went to local autozone and got them for 31.99 plus tax, and man they are good or what.. i mean they really stop the car the brakes are firm no saggy feeling nuffing.. but upto you if you want to spend more money.
-Sal
Is performance friction the same as PFC?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:54 AM

I have Akebono brake pads right now on brembo blanks for the fronts. And I have Nippon's on rear with stock rear rotors and those are worth ****. Akebono make a lot of the factory OEM pads for the dealers. I think they are decent for just everyday driving but just as good as QS...

Chris
Old 12-11-2002, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by NISMOPower
I have Akebono brake pads right now on brembo blanks for the fronts. And I have Nippon's on rear with stock rear rotors and those are worth ****. Akebono make a lot of the factory OEM pads for the dealers. I think they are decent for just everyday driving but just as good as QS...

Chris
So u dont suggest I get crappy rear brakes?

Also, where can I get these Akebono (doing normal daily driving), and how much are they (front)?

Thanx
Chevonn
Old 12-11-2002, 06:02 PM

Hey don't get crappy brakes for you car at all, It's true the rear does about 15-20 percent of braking which is very little but still, Brakes are your life and i wouldn't do it on my car.

Forget about that nippon and akeboon crap, Get yourself some Raybestos or some stock pads from nissan but i would tell you to get raybestos cause it's worth every penny, alot of people on the org use either raybestos or porterfield.

Make these two be your choice and you will see what we mean by they are the best.

Take it from me, I'm a crazy driveer that changes pads like every 3 months and i have tried EBC red and green crap and porterfield which is ok and i think second best or tied with axxis.

Get raybestos
Old 12-11-2002, 07:45 PM

whats the price of the Nissan OEM pads compared to Raybestos QS?
Old 12-11-2002, 08:11 PM

i think KVR carbon fiber pads is the best i have try,wouldn't change for anything,and cost around $60,i drive high speed and stop alots with no problem,have try Raybestos it last but not that good when you do alot of repeat stop,axxis is better but not that good for your stock rotor,just my .02 cent.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by 96_vqmax
i think KVR carbon fiber pads is the best i have try,wouldn't change for anything,and cost around $60,i drive high speed and stop alots with no problem,have try Raybestos it last but not that good when you do alot of repeat stop,axxis is better but not that good for your stock rotor,just my .02 cent.
So carbon fiber pads are hard on rotors? What kind of rotors would
should you run with these? I heard that those raybestos and metal
masters are hard on rotors too. Would brembo blanks be good to use
with any of these pads? Opinions....
Old 12-12-2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by MaxEffect414
Hey don't get crappy brakes for you car at all, It's true the rear does about 15-20 percent of braking which is very little but still, Brakes are your life and i wouldn't do it on my car.

Forget about that nippon and akeboon crap, Get yourself some Raybestos or some stock pads from nissan but i would tell you to get raybestos cause it's worth every penny, alot of people on the org use either raybestos or porterfield.

Make these two be your choice and you will see what we mean by they are the best.

Take it from me, I'm a crazy driveer that changes pads like every 3 months and i have tried EBC red and green crap and porterfield which is ok and i think second best or tied with axxis.

Get raybestos
I got my front brake pads changed today (80.00 for labor), the pads I got em at Discount Auto Parts (Advance Auto), for only 18.88!!! They are semi-metallic (by Weathersilver?), they didnt have much for me to choose from. But so far they dont squeal and are great.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by 975spEEd

So carbon fiber pads are hard on rotors? What kind of rotors would
should you run with these? I heard that those raybestos and metal
masters are hard on rotors too. Would brembo blanks be good to use
with any of these pads? Opinions....
NO. Carbon/Kevlar pads are actually gentle on your rotors.

Metallic, semi-metallic & ceramic compound pads are harder on rotors than carbon/kevlars.

KVR & Porterfield are the best manufacturer options for Carbon/Kevlar compound pads.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Metallic, semi-metallic & ceramic compound pads are harder on rotors than carbon/kevlars.

KVR & Porterfield are the best manufacturer options for Carbon/Kevlar compound pads.
Yup, I heard "Organic" was actually the OEM material.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by Silviagirl79

Yup, I heard "Organic" was actually the OEM material.
You heard right, but don't confuse OEM organic compound pads with Carbon/Kevlar compound pads - they are two very different animals.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:25 PM

So you reccomend carbon/kevlar over Metallic ect.. What rotors
would be good with these pads, I heard brembo blanks are very good
or could I use decent rotor from an auto parts store? What kind
of improvement can I expect over stock with, say the brembo's and
carbon kevlars? Also do they work well when cold or do they need to
be warmed up a bit first?
Old 12-12-2002, 11:14 PM

that's right
Old 12-12-2002, 11:33 PM

it all depend on your driving habit,if you do alots of high speed stop(like me) then i would look into xd or slot,if you just want better than oem then the brembo blanks would be a great choice,i would said this combo would improve your stopping 4-8 feet over oem,of course this is just my opinion.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:45 AM

Unless you plan on racing, just get the Brembo blanks. (Get the cadmium-plated ones - they won't rust & look ooglie through your wheels) I have the Porterfield R4-S pads and have been very happy with them. They're on the pricey side, but they perform well and resist fading far better than OEM's and many semi-metallics out there.

I chose these pads because I race auto-x and roadcourse events and wanted a predictable pad that would perform well under heavy, repeated braking. If you only drive on the street, you may not need to spend the $ on Porterfields, but if you do, you WILL see an improvement in braking performance.

I haven't noticed any problems with cold stopping power, whatsoever.

The KVR's are a bit less expensive, but a very strong pad, by several .org members' accounts - worth checking into.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:27 AM

Ok I'm gonna ask a stupid n00b question <ducks>. I've changed my brakes at least 5 times and i have no idea what caliper pins are. Someone said to be sure and check them so since i don't know what they are that could be bad. Are they the pins that go in your brakes to keep them off the rotor when not in use. FYI i have brough the cheap brakes from pepboys and auto-zone and they both dust like hell, squeel like a french ***** and suck like they squeel. In Jan when i get some money i'm doing a full head to toe on my car cause its gonna be about 150K miles so i really wanna get the best of everything. So in a short answer on top of my other question, which are the best brakes? so far i'm hearing raybestos quick stops the most are they pretty much the consensus? Also i'm glad to hear its not just my brakes that whine all the damn time.
Old 12-13-2002, 11:23 AM

The performance frictions at autozone are excellent value and the stopping power is great additionally they exhibit great dust control nowhere near the oem's I had on my car, you'll be pleasantly surprised, these pads arem my recommendation.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TonyGotSkilz
[B]Ok I've changed my brakes at least 5 times and i have no idea what caliper pins are. Someone said to be sure and check them so since i don't know what they are that could be bad. Are they the pins that go in your brakes to keep them off the rotor when not in use.

Yes, they are the pins that the cylinder body slides on. When I changed my brakes at 54k the front ones were really worn (actually grooved), this can cause the pads to bind, stick, etc.. I replaced all 4 front caliper pins, the rear were okay. They were $23.00 for a set of 4 at Auto Zone. I used Synthetic High Temp Brake grease to lubricate them. This is something that is easy to overlook and can cause a lot of unexplained intermittent brake problems.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:45 AM

Walker organic pads. Very quiet.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:43 AM

What? Axxis Dust Masters?

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Axis Metal Masters
Old 10-24-2003, 07:51 AM

Hawk HPS are my new favorite. I've tried, Axxis Metal Masters, EBC Green Stuff, and the Quiet Stops.

The metal masters dusted like crazy! I still have metal masters on my rear wheels and my rear wheels are a brown rust color because of the dust. The EBCs dust a lot also. But they are a great street pad. Very good initial bite because they are kevlar. They don't last very long though. Quiet Stops felt like OEM pads to me. Which may not be a bad thing. My hawk HPS review may be a bit biased. I put in the HPS pads and cross drilled rotors at the same time. But the HPS seem to fade a lot less than the other brands (maybe because of the drilling). The dusting is managable. I can't complain about the dust after looking at my rear wheels. HPS are quiet, as were the EBCs and Quiet Stops. The Metal Masters groan and squeak sometimes. You have many choices, but if I were to do it again, I would get the HPS again. That's my opinion.

Check out:
www.redlinemax.com

That site is run and owned by a fellow org member.

Originally Posted by J.Daniel
Old 10-24-2003, 01:15 PM

I just did Hawk HPS ($65) and Brembo blanks ($80) up front Found them in the Group Deal Forum. Also, you may want to replace your shims if they're corroded. The new setup has much better stopping power than OEM. Don't forget to bleed your brakes lines at the same time. I replaced the OEM fluid and the fronts at 90K. The brakes pedal now feels nice and solid. Motorvate has some excellent info on doing the brakes and checking the caliber pin: http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/300 Budget at least 4 hours if you plan on doing it yourself.

Originally Posted by TonyGotSkilz
Ok I'm gonna ask a stupid n00b question
<ducks>. I've changed my brakes at least 5 times and i have no idea what caliper pins are. Someone said to be sure and check them so since i don't know what they are that could be bad. Are they the pins that go in your brakes to keep them off the rotor when not in use. FYI i have brough the cheap brakes from pepboys and auto-zone and they both dust like hell, squeel like a french ***** and suck like they squeel. In Jan when i get some money i'm doing a full head to toe on my car cause its gonna be about 150K miles so i really wanna get the best of everything. So in a short answer on top of my other question, which are the best brakes? so far i'm hearing raybestos quick stops the most are they pretty much the consensus? Also i'm glad to hear its not just my brakes that whine all the damn time.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:19 PM

see my post for caliper pins.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=258477