4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

engine revs high suddenly

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2002, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

engine revs high suddenly

My brother mentioned to me today that he had a problem with his 96 maxima. He says that the o/d light blinks on for about 30 seconds and then the rpms climb to 5000 while cruising at 45mph. This has only happened once, any ideas what may have caused it? MY guess is maybe he just needs to flush his tranny fluid. His car is a auto with 52000 miles on it. He lives in NC. I appreciate any guesses
Old 11-28-2002, 05:39 PM

Re: engine revs high suddenly

Originally posted by maximadrummer
My brother mentioned to me today that he had a problem with his 96 maxima. He says that the o/d light blinks on for about 30 seconds and then the rpms climb to 5000 while cruising at 45mph. This has only happened once, any ideas what may have caused it? MY guess is maybe he just needs to flush his tranny fluid. His car is a auto with 52000 miles on it. He lives in NC. I appreciate any guesses
see if the ECU gives any codes, and do some basic maintenance, plugs, filters, pcv, TB cleaning...
Old 11-28-2002, 05:54 PM

Re: engine revs high suddenly

Originally posted by maximadrummer
If the O/D button is blinking or flashing, that means there is something going on with the transmission. You need to extract the codes from the transmission computer. The ECU does'nt have to be on when the A/T code (0504) is tripped. This happens to be a "ghost" code as well as the knock sensor. If you have access to a Hayne'smanual, look at pages 7B-2 to 7B-3 for the procedure to extract the transmission codes.
Old 11-28-2002, 05:55 PM

Re: Re: engine revs high suddenly

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
If the O/D button is blinking or flashing, that means there is something going on with the transmission. You need to extract the codes from the transmission computer. The ECU does'nt have to be on when the A/T code (0504) is tripped. This happens to be a "ghost" code as well as the knock sensor. If you have access to a Hayne'smanual, look at pages 7B-2 to 7B-3 for the procedure to extract the transmission codes.
didn't catch when he said O/D my bad...
Old 11-28-2002, 05:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: engine revs high suddenly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by brodaiga

see if the ECU gives any codes, and do some basic maintenance, plugs, filters, pcv, TB cleaning...
[/QUOTE

Thanks! I figure he is probaly due for a tune-up.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: engine revs high suddenly

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maximadrummer
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by brodaiga

[/QUOTE

what is a Haynes manuel and where can I get one?
Old 11-28-2002, 06:16 PM

its a manual with lots of good info on how to fix broken stuff ..they run about $15 and you can pick up em up at autozone, pep boys, ebay, etc...

I'm feeling nice, so here is the way to check the code from the tranny failure...PM me with the code after and ill tell ya whats the prob

-Start the engine and warm it up to its normal operating temperature.
-Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position. Wait at least five sceonds before proceeding.
-Turn the ignition switch to the ACC position.
-Put the overdrive siwtch in the ON position.
-Move the shift lever to the P position.
-Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
-The OD OFF indicator light should come on for about two seconds.

a)If the OD OFF indicator light, doesnt come on, theres something wrong with the transaxle computer or with the indicator light circuit. We don't recommend testing the resistance or voltage of the computer terminals; drawing too much voltage throught the terminals can destroy the computer. Have the OD OFF indicator light circuit tested and repaired by a dealer service department or other qualified repair shop.
b) If the OD OFF indicator light comes on, proceed to the next step.

-Turn the ignition key to OFF.
-Turn the ignition switch to the ON position, but do not start the engine.
-Move the shift lever to the D position.
-Turn the ignition switch OFF.
-Put the overdrive siwtch in the OFF position.
-Turn the ignition switch ON, wait for at least two seconds, then move the shift lever to the 2 position.
-Put the overdrive switch in the ON position.
-Move the shift lever to the 1 position.
-Put the overdrive switch in the OFF position.
-Depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor, then release it.
-The computer is now in its output mode. (FINALLY). It will begin displaying any stored trouble code(s) by flashing the OD OFF indicator light in a sequence of long and short flashes specefic to each stored code..

Now after thats done, there will be 10 flashes...1 of the flashes will be longer than the rest....the longer one is the one that you should tell me...i.e. if its the 9th flash, then tell me its the 9th flash