4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i30 Owners....kinda long

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 03:11 PM

i30 Owners....kinda long

Hey fellas, after losing my third gen to a rear end collision I have patiently waited until I had enough money to buy a 4th gen max and now seems to be the time, but after lusting for one for the longest im now considering an i30 being that its going to be mainly driven by my wife and i will probably using it on weekends/getaways and whatnot so comfort and luxury is what im thinking here. Not to say that GLE's dont compare but I looking at a '97 i w/about 98k on it for just under 7k. Havent seen it yet but sounds really decent. Im just wondering about the comparison to maximas in terms of repairs,cost of replacement parts and all the headaches all we car owners have to deal with. My main concern is replacement parts! will I regret having the 'i' when its time to change shocks/alternator,etc...
I would like i owners opinions about your cars and tell me what to look out for when i check out the car this weekend. No disrespect to Max owners (Im planning to sell my BMW and get the perfect 5-speed SE for myself soon!) but your opinions are greatly appreiciated,Thanks
Old 11-29-2002, 05:51 PM

i've had mine for 7000 mi and haven't had a problem. i bought it used with 38k on it. its a dream on long rides, plenty of passing power and the heated seats are nice when its cold. its mostly stock and i'm very pleased with it...although more is better, so they say. i'm getting intake and exhaust, wheels, fstb etc.
as far as 98k, that is a lot of miles but these are well engineered cars made to last. i bought mine with a warranty just in case so i couldn't tell you about misc. repair costs. i bought it from a nissan dealership and they said anytime you need work done, bring in into a nissan dealer instead of infiniti cause you'll save loads on repairs if need be.
i looked up my car on carfax and it checked out great and i'd suggest you do that too. but like i said haven't had a single problem with it and i'm sure if your wife is driving it, not much will go wrong. goodluck
eric
Old 11-29-2002, 06:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ya I bought mine for $11,000 w/50k miles on it. The I30 is exactly like a maxima, w/the exception of the exterior and a few parts of the interior. So in terms of replacement parts and their costs, you could just use parts for a maxima of the same year and you'd be fine. Personally, I like the looks of the I30 more than the maxima, but usually you'll end up paying a little bit more (not as much once the car is a few years old) just for the infiniti name.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

1996 I30t 5-speed with 94K miles. Bought mine used almost a year ago. have put on about 17K miles. I absloutely love the car. Originally wanted a Maxima, looked for months for a loaded 5-speed Max but could not find I one that I really liked. I am happy I stumbled upon a 5-speed I30
As far as repair, I have not had to do much. Oil changes, front brakes, and belts. I do have a small tranny leak at my drive-axel seal, but tranny problems are common. I have not found a repair part yet that is not interchangeable from a Max. Buy one, you will not be disapointed.

PS paid $8500 for the car.
Old 11-29-2002, 08:30 PM

We had my I30 from day one! Put 75k on it since 97. Never had a problem, and has been great since day one. I would highly reccomend getting one!
Old 11-29-2002, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: i30 Owners....kinda long

Originally posted by PV89SE
[I would like i owners opinions about your cars and tell me what to look out for when i check out the car this weekend. No disrespect to Max owners (Im planning to sell my BMW and get the perfect 5-speed SE for myself soon!) but your opinions are greatly appreiciated,Thanks [/B]
J D Powers just released a reliability report where the I30 was the most reliable 1997 entry level luxury car. They rate Lexus number 1 and Infinity number 2 in reliability. I have owned 2 4th gen Maximas and a 97 I30. Bought it 2 years ago with 36k on it, now have 55k. Never had problems with Maximas or the I30. I30 is quieter with a more refined ride, we like it better than the 2 previous Maximas which we bought new (GXE and GLE). The Infinti service is far superior to Nissan's. They have a service oriented attitude, give you free loaners and wash your car when you take it in for service. Try getting that from a Nissan dealer. Sounds like a good price on the one you are considering. Infinti I30s seem to depreciate faster than Maximas making it possiblle to get really good deals. If you are not familiar with Infinitis and Maximas I would have Infiniti dealer check it out, it would be money well spent!
Old 11-29-2002, 09:15 PM

Just remember that its the same car as a maxima. Some people get off on the name, but remember that just a maxima. I love my car, and you can go and see everything I've done to it.
http://www.max-performance.net/SLC%20I30t.htm
most parts are sold as assembly's so the cost more, but thats the same as a maxima. It is nice to get the free loaner car while your car is getting serviced. Good luck. Try to get a 5-speed if you can they are pretty rare, but it doesn't account for a higher resale.

tootels
Old 11-30-2002, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the 411!!

I knew I could count on the i owners for an honest opinion (not that any of you are Biased,right? Ill keep you all posted when I "crossover". Thanks!