4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

window tint

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2002, 02:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

window tint

Do anyone have pics of white Max with tint. I'm
trying to decide what type of tint to get for my
white max. The dilema is getting the two tone mirrow
at top and black on the bottom or all black. The thing
about a black tint it will make my car look dark?
Old 12-01-2002, 02:49 PM

Re: window tint

Originally posted by bigcuntry
I got 20% smoke on my car all the way around. With black interior, if you're looking in, you can't see too good. But looking out is not really a problem.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:03 PM

2-tone mirror, imho is

Blaze it up - go with smoke.
Old 12-01-2002, 07:09 PM

definately, definately do not get mirror tint. it will make your car look ooglie. instead, do get smoke tint. i have 20% smoke tint on my beige maxima and i love it.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:02 PM

i have a 96 white max... and i got the 5% smoke tint all around except the windshield.. its iliigal here in IL... but i still did it.. have it for about 3 months now.. no problem with the cops. Just a little hard to see at nite at first. u can get used to it.
Old 12-01-2002, 09:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

how would a 30% smoked tint look all around?
Old 12-01-2002, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by ZeRo MaX
how would a 30% smoked tint look all around?
Kinda transparent. 20% would be better, if you think your local law enforcement won't hassle you too much.

Check your local laws, too. The states that DO allow any tint at all on the driver's and front passenger side glass rarely allow anything darker than 35%.

I'm in south FL now and a friend of mine has 15% smoke on everything but the windshield, which is tinted with 35% smoke. This is VERY dark from outside. You can't see in the sides or rear of the car from any angle at all. Night driving takes a little getting used to, but honestly, it's not that bad at all. You do sometimes have to drop the glass if you're looking for a streetsign from the side, though. He's had this setup for 6+ mos. with no law-problems.

Because it's so hot down here, the cops don't seem to care about the illegal tint. The LAW-sensitivity to this issue will vary by state & region. Talk to a couple tint shops in your area and get an idea from them how tolerant the cops are in your area of tint jobs that don't conform to the vehicle code.

I plan to do the sides, rear & moonroof in 15% smoke, and the windsheild in 50% smoke. (Don't wanna go quite as dark as 35% on that).
Old 12-02-2002, 12:10 AM

Window Tint

I have a white max with black leather...20% charcoal tint...I like the look..check it out on my homepage. Don't get mirror tint.

http://members.cardomain.com/rmax007
Old 12-02-2002, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by gabex
definately, definately do not get mirror tint. it will make your car look ooglie. instead, do get smoke tint. i have 20% smoke tint on my beige maxima and i love it.
Does anyone have a picture of there car with smoke tint. I am planning on replacing my tint since it is gettting old and is starting to look bad, but i am not sure of the best way to remove it. Someone suggested a razor blade and carberator cleaner. Does anyone have any experience with removing tint?
Old 12-02-2002, 05:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why doesn't anyone get titanium tints? Thats what I am planning to get for my 98 Evergreen.
Old 12-02-2002, 06:18 AM

what does titanium tint look like?
Old 12-02-2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by magnum658

Does anyone have a picture of there car with smoke tint. I am planning on replacing my tint since it is gettting old and is starting to look bad, but i am not sure of the best way to remove it. Someone suggested a razor blade and carberator cleaner. Does anyone have any experience with removing tint?
The shop will remove the tint for you. It shouldn't cost that much extra and then you don't have to worry about it. ask them to quote two prices for you. one with new tint and one with removing the old and putting on the new. You might decide it's not worth the effort.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:16 AM

Yo where in NJ are you? If you're up north like in Bergen County I'll tell you the place where I got mine done. They're prices are ok, and they really do a good job. Plus a lift time warrenty on all there work.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE

Yo where in NJ are you? If you're up north like in Bergen County I'll tell you the place where I got mine done. They're prices are ok, and they really do a good job. Plus a lift time warrenty on all there work.
I am in monmouth county, What is the name of the place. I gotta get this old tint off cause it looks like crap, but the places by me wanna charge me $100 dollars to take it off. So i have to do it myself, but i am not sure how to go about it
Old 12-02-2002, 09:00 AM

I am in monmouth county, What is the name of the place. I gotta get this old tint off cause it looks like crap, but the places by me wanna charge me $100 dollars to take it off. So i have to do it myself, but i am not sure how to go about it

Went to www.google.com, typed: "tint removal, auto"

-Got this:

http://doityourself.com/auto/automotivetintremoval.htm
Old 12-02-2002, 09:05 AM

The place I went to was H&R Window Tinting on RT 17. I dunno how much they charge to remove tint, but the tinting job was only $180.
Old 12-02-2002, 09:06 AM
SKY----------

Re: window tint

Originally posted by bigcuntry
White max! http://www.cardomain.com/id/maximillian98

Old 12-02-2002, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

I plan to do the sides, rear & moonroof in 15% smoke, and the windsheild in 50% smoke. (Don't wanna go quite as dark as 35% on that).
I thought the tint percentage was the amount of darkening, not the percent "permeability" that is retained. So 50% would be darker than 35%.

Typically I've heard of folks having 35% tint on sides and 20% in rear, but no tint on the front.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:00 AM

is there anyone on here that has a black max with 35% tint... or 30... i live in Pennsylvania.. where cops are not cool and would pull you over for anything... so i wanna be on the safe side.. and get either 30% or 35%... but have it dark enough to notice a tint... i don't want it too dark though.. here's different options i have heard.. charcoal... titinium... smoked... reflective... mirror... not sure what is what.. and how each looks.. hope to get some help!
Old 12-02-2002, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by ZeRo MaX
is there anyone on here that has a black max with 35% tint... or 30... i live in Pennsylvania.. where cops are not cool and would pull you over for anything... so i wanna be on the safe side.. and get either 30% or 35%... but have it dark enough to notice a tint... i don't want it too dark though.. here's different options i have heard.. charcoal... titinium... smoked... reflective... mirror... not sure what is what.. and how each looks.. hope to get some help!
Fwiw, if the cops are not busy enough in your area dealing with real crime, then you will want to avoid any "reflective" type tint. This includes mirrored, titanium, platinum, etc.

Mirrored type tints seems to draw much more attention from the law (in areas where they care at all), than an equivalent smoke-tint.

Moreso than smoke, mirrored says to a cop: "I don't want you to know what I'm up to in here."

-my .02 cents
Old 12-02-2002, 12:29 PM

i had to remove tint on my dad's old car when he lived in NC because the BMV issued liscense plates but they inspected your car first. he had 5% tint and they wouldnt let him get new plates before he removed it. all i used was a razor blade and a good scrubbin. it came off pretty easily.
Old 12-02-2002, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by maximaah

I thought the tint percentage was the amount of darkening, not the percent "permeability" that is retained. So 50% would be darker than 35%.

Typically I've heard of folks having 35% tint on sides and 20% in rear, but no tint on the front.

Nope, 50% is lighter than 35%. The higher the percentage, the more visible light is allowed into the vehicle.

Limousines typically have 5%-15% tints.

50% is a fairly light tint and barely perceptible to the untrained observer. In really bright regions (SouthEast/SouthWest), where you might go darker than your average 20-35% tints, the light coming in from the bare, front windshield can actually make your visibility worse, as it refracts all over the inside surface of the dark tint on the side & rear glass. This problem is virtually eliminated with a light tint on the front glass.

However, many shops WILL NOT TINT WINDSHIELDS at all. It all depends on the region you're in.
Old 12-02-2002, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Fwiw, if the cops are not busy enough in your area dealing with real crime, then you will want to avoid any "reflective" type tint. This includes mirrored, titanium, platinum, etc.

Mirrored type tints seems to draw much more attention from the law (in areas where they care at all), than an equivalent smoke-tint.

Moreso than smoke, mirrored says to a cop: "I don't want you to know what I'm up to in here."

-my .02 cents
thanx... i was thinkin' to get a smoked 35% tint to the black max.. i don't want it too dark that no one can see through... but dark enough to see me.. heh.. thanx again!