4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vibration when accellerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 02:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, doing more thinking - it may be that my SC belt is a little tiny bit off canter and too tight.

Anyone know if that could be it?

IanS
Old 12-28-2002, 07:33 PM

Got my tranny fully flushed with Dextron III.

Took another look at my engine mounts today - they look great - when hitting the gas in N, the engine doesn't move at all.

It's gotten way worse over the last couple of days.

I let mtrai760 take it for a drive, and he was surprised at how bad the shaking was, and has no idea what it could be.

Anyone have any suggestions? My car is nearly undrivable now.

One thing I have noticed, the shaking is worse when accelerating from 60-80 then from 30-40. So it does increase with speed, but only when accellerating.

HELP!

Old 12-28-2002, 08:18 PM

Could the MEVI not be working correctly or a part broke?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:30 PM

does it happen in all gears? like only in 4th? or in third & 2nd too?

it might be the torque converter?
Old 12-28-2002, 08:50 PM

My dad had a bad vibration/shake in his toyota avalon. He went through everything (new tires, etc etc) and in the end it turned out to be his struts. Checked that yet?
Old 12-28-2002, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

it sucks that the problem is back again,
i have the same problem still, but what's funny is that i changed one of my motor mounts and it solved it for a few days, and now is back again, i ordered the rest of the engine mounts and i will see how it turns out.
By the way you said you checked your car in Neutral,
If i am not mistaken you have to be in gear to check how much the engine moves while applying throttle
Old 12-28-2002, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by ylwgti
it sucks that the problem is back again,
i have the same problem still, but what's funny is that i changed one of my motor mounts and it solved it for a few days, and now is back again, i ordered the rest of the engine mounts and i will see how it turns out.
By the way you said you checked your car in Neutral,
If i am not mistaken you have to be in gear to check how much the engine moves while applying throttle
Well, I looked into the Hayes and Chilton's manuals for information about Engine Mounts, and found something in the Haynes manual, but not a whole lot.

I took a bright halogen light and looked at the mounts the best I could - they all look pretty OK to me.

I then got in the car, started it, put it in D, and reved the engine with my foot on the brake.

The engine at the front of the car moved up about 1 inch. If I rev repeatedly, it makes a small "thump"

This normal?

IanS
Old 12-29-2002, 08:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

you have to have actually someone look at the engine while you doing that (but someone that will now)
the thing with the ening mounts could be that if one of them is bad it the engine may not rock as hard but still cause vibration.
For a example a tranny mount.I would have changed mine already since i have the parts but its too cold now, (it sucks not to have a garage)
But i will do it in the next few days.
I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:06 AM

Heh I have been having the same problem recently. I notice when I go to pass someone at highway speed my steering wheel shakes and my dash as well. The dash isn't as noticeable except the fact that my cd player starts skipping like mad hell. I need CVs on both sides and brakes up front so while I am under there I intend to look around and see whats up. I have relatively new tires and new mounts. I have a belt that squeels occasionally, but I think that is a tension problem.
Old 12-29-2002, 05:35 PM

Well, now I think I've really got it.

Because the vibration seems to go along with the belt speed, I jacked the car up today and pulled off the tire to look at the belt assembly.

My belt was at about 70% deflection (too tight) and there's oil coming out from behind my crank pulley.

I loosened the belt to 90% deflection, and it got better, but not completely.

Basically, I think the belt being too tight screwed up the crank pulley so it vibrated.

Anyone know what's involved in fixing it?

This all does sort of make sense, because the vibration felt more like it was coming from the tranny than the engine - the crank goes straight into the torque converter - so if the pulley was being puled upward too hard, by an overly tight belt, it could cause the bearings at the torque converter to not like it.

Causing vibration.

Anyone care to discuss this theory?

Thanks!
IanS
Old 12-31-2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by iansw
Well, now I think I've really got it.

Because the vibration seems to go along with the belt speed, I jacked the car up today and pulled off the tire to look at the belt assembly.

My belt was at about 70% deflection (too tight) and there's oil coming out from behind my crank pulley.

I loosened the belt to 90% deflection, and it got better, but not completely.

Basically, I think the belt being too tight screwed up the crank pulley so it vibrated.

Anyone know what's involved in fixing it?

This all does sort of make sense, because the vibration felt more like it was coming from the tranny than the engine - the crank goes straight into the torque converter - so if the pulley was being puled upward too hard, by an overly tight belt, it could cause the bearings at the torque converter to not like it.

Causing vibration.

Anyone care to discuss this theory?

Thanks!
IanS
Not sure about that theory but I recently replaced an axle because (I think) the inner CV joint was busted. The car would shake and make a lound thumping noise when accelerating especially going around turns. One way to pinpoint it is to jack the front of the car up, have someone inside the car accelerate while pressing the brakes. That way, pressure is put on the axle and engine and you can look for the source of noise/vibration. Hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by genepool

Not sure about that theory but I recently replaced an axle because (I think) the inner CV joint was busted. The car would shake and make a lound thumping noise when accelerating especially going around turns. One way to pinpoint it is to jack the front of the car up, have someone inside the car accelerate while pressing the brakes. That way, pressure is put on the axle and engine and you can look for the source of noise/vibration. Hope this helps.
Already replaced my axle and had the other one inspected, buddy - read above.....
Old 12-31-2002, 10:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by costcowholesale
does it happen in all gears? like only in 4th? or in third & 2nd too?

it might be the torque converter?
I'd have to agree that it sounds trannie related - seeing as the problem went away with topped up trans fluid, then came back again..
maybe it's time for that 5spd swap...
Old 12-31-2002, 11:02 AM

I went for a drive last night after loosening my belt.

much better - not totally gone, but far better.

Basically, my belt was too tight, which torqued the Crank Pulley and broke the oil seal on the engine.

In doing this, it made the balancing on the crank pulley off-canter, which caused a harmonic vibration that got worse with belt speed.

I'm pretty sure now my tranny is fine, but I'm going to have to replace the seal on my Crankshaft and check for any damage to the pivot the pulley sits on. If there is damage, I should be able to use a steel sleeve to correct it.

This would also explain why it felt somewhat like the vibraiton was coming from the passenger side....

Once agan - this make sense to anyone?

I also think I was imagining things when I topped my tranny fluid off.

I have, however, had the tranny flushed completely since then, and the vibration did not get any better.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:24 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I've checked my belt via this method:
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...57_15_full.jpg

That's how tight I've got my belt at the moment. I had to fine tune it a few times after test drives to get it just a touch above belt slippage.
Old 12-31-2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by BlackCat
I've checked my belt via this method:
http://images.cardomain.com/installs...57_15_full.jpg

That's how tight I've got my belt at the moment. I had to fine tune it a few times after test drives to get it just a touch above belt slippage.
I now have mine at 90 degree deflection, which is what spec is.

I had tightened it to 60, per MardisGrasMax'es (I think) advice, which is what broke it.

IanS
Old 12-31-2002, 12:26 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I now have mine at 90 degree deflection, which is what spec is.

I had tightened it to 60, per MardisGrasMax'es (I think) advice, which is what broke it.

IanS
I did it to spec as well but I found it to be way too tight. You can try my method as my blower isn't complaining like it did before. I just had to find that sweet spot between slipping and bearing noise.
Old 12-31-2002, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by BlackCat

I did it to spec as well but I found it to be way too tight. You can try my method as my blower isn't complaining like it did before. I just had to find that sweet spot between slipping and bearing noise.
With how loud the V1 is, I don't know if I'd even hear the bearing noise if it were happening!
Old 01-01-2003, 05:04 PM

Well, I went for another drive today - the vibration is still there, it's just changed!

Now, it's not so bad at high RPM, but at 3500-4000 RPM in 3rd Gear (60-70mph, light throttle) It's HORRIBLE.

Also, at one point I heard something directly below my feet go "CLUNK" like a wrench hitting steel.

I then hit the end of the freeway and took a hard right for the cloverleaf at 40mph - again - "CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK"

I went to a parking lot and tested this some more - unless I'm doing 40mph in a hard right turn, there is no noise. It's also coming from the wrong place (directly under my feet) to be an axle.

WTF!?!? I didn't even know anything existed under there!

AUUUUUUUUUUUUURGH!!!!

Old 01-03-2003, 02:15 PM

Well, It's at the shop now, and those at the shop are saying:

It's a Bad Coil!!!

Could this be true? Anyone know anything about this?

They say the noise underneath my feet was a backfire!

IanS
Old 01-03-2003, 04:52 PM

One or more motor mounts have failed... Probably in an area that the dealer can't see....
I have not bought one on a Max but the Benz ones are only $49 so yours have to be close to the same... THe max ones are easy to change yourself...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by cbr2
One or more motor mounts have failed... Probably in an area that the dealer can't see....
I have not bought one on a Max but the Benz ones are only $49 so yours have to be close to the same... THe max ones are easy to change yourself...
The mechanic took me in the garage with him, put it on a lift, and we went through every diagnostic - first he used a screwdriver to pry up on the motor mounts under the car, and they didn't budge - he also showed me with a flashlight that they were not damaged.

Then we went over the axles - he put the car in gear and drove it up to 3rd gear - they didn't move laterally whatsoever or make any noise. (Before that, he turned the wheels to check for play in the joints, and there was none).

Then he shifted through all gears and ran the diagnostic codes for the tranny - everything good there.

Then he put the car down and we went over the top mounts - nothing amiss.

Then he stuck the OBDII Consult on the car - EGR Code 0304!

He's convinced that since the vibration is exactly the same as the rythm of the exhaust note that my EGR is clogged, causing the engine to shake. He says he also can hear audible misfire, although my EGT Gauge shows nothing abnormal when driving, and I've only hear a "Clunk" a couple of times from what sounds like my Y-Pipe.

The coil story turned out to be another Maxima they had in the shop - the guy at the front desk was relaying the wrong information over the phone.

So tomorrow I'm replacing and reading all my plugs just in case. if that doesn't fix anything, I'll take the manifold off and check the EGR system, along with wrapping exhaust wrap over my Y-Pipe, where I do have a small exhaust leak.

Although he wasn't able to prove to me exactly what it was, he was able to show what it wasn't.

It's not the axles, mounts, bearings, balance, or tranny.

it may be the EGR - I'm going to be doing more research on this tonight.

The interesting thing I noticed on my way there was that it gets alot worse as EGT's go higher, and when the car is first started and is cold, it doesn't do it at all.

Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks!
IanS
Old 01-04-2003, 06:48 PM

Well, tested my EGR today - it was fine - wrapped my Y-pipe (for the 3rd time, I keep scraping the wrap off), replaced the EGR Gasket, and took it for a drive.

Checked the computer after the drive, the 0302 code I had is now gone....so EGR is good again.

But the vibration persists - Although I noticed after taking the car up to 120 (for testing purposes only, I had no fun, I swear), then hitting the brakes hard to slow down, I get a vibration there too!!

So now I'm thinking it HAS to be the inboard CV joint on the Driver's side....

IanS
Old 01-04-2003, 11:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Not Alone

I noticed the same problem with my max on a drive home today.
No vibrations at all except when accelerating gently around 60mph.
then it feels like im hitting 100 little speed bumps all in a row.
Stops when i take my foot off the gas...or if i put my foot down harder...got me stumped too...
It was raining when this happened...so I thought maybe some water got into something it shouldnt have...
Sorry i dont have a solution...just thought id let you know you aint the only one)
Old 01-04-2003, 11:51 PM

Have you checked your wheel bearings for play? I'm still trying to figure my vibration out too.
Old 01-05-2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
Have you checked your wheel bearings for play? I'm still trying to figure my vibration out too.
I'm pretty sure wheel bearings owuld be more constant, even at lower speeds.

IanS
Old 01-05-2003, 09:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm pretty sure wheel bearings owuld be more constant, even at lower speeds.

IanS
I dont think this has anything to do with balancing, alignments or anything of the type...i have a feeling its the inner cv joints wearing out...The symptoms of vibration while accelerating around 50 -60 mph and then the vibration stopping if you step off the gas all point to the inner cv's...(
Old 01-05-2003, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by zappz

I dont think this has anything to do with balancing, alignments or anything of the type...i have a feeling its the inner cv joints wearing out...The symptoms of vibration while accelerating around 50 -60 mph and then the vibration stopping if you step off the gas all point to the inner cv's...(
Yep, after discounting it at first, I'm thinking that's the problem now also.

Good observation for a Newbie!

I'll let everyone know what happens after i install the new axle.

IanS
Old 01-06-2003, 09:21 AM

Called up marty at Raxles to order a new axle this morning.

I was hoping that he could ship it to me, and then if it didn't fix the problem, I could ship it back. he said the costs of doing that were alot more than shipping, because even if it's only on there for 30 minutes, it's still used. So he said he couldn't do that.

He also, after describing my vibraitons to him, didn't think it was the axle at all.

I told him I've tried everything else (and listed these things to him), and he said "well, I'll sell you one, it could be the joint, but it just doesn't sound like it to me - it's your money."

So anyway, $185 down the tubes if that's not the problem, and I was planning on switching to a 5spd in the summer and I have to buy a new axle then anyway.....sucks.

IanS
Old 01-06-2003, 10:03 AM

Called up marty at Raxles to order a new axle this morning.

I was hoping that he could ship it to me, and then if it didn't fix the problem, I could ship it back. he said the costs of doing that were alot more than shipping, because even if it's only on there for 30 minutes, it's still used. So he said he couldn't do that.

He also, after describing my vibraitons to him, didn't think it was the axle at all.

I told him I've tried everything else (and listed these things to him), and he said "well, I'll sell you one, it could be the joint, but it just doesn't sound like it to me - it's your money."

So anyway, $185 down the tubes if that's not the problem, and I was planning on switching to a 5spd in the summer and I have to buy a new axle then anyway.....sucks.

IanS
Ian,
I recently ran into vibration problems as well. I got my ACT HDMM clutch put in, and I would notice a slight vibration at 750 rpms and then when I would accelerate above 63. Well that and abt a new flywheel and clutch later, the shaking at idle went away, but the shaking above 60 hasn't. Now, I just got new tires, so I took the car back to NTB (I KNOW I KNOW) and get them rebalanced. Helped, but not fixed. Car still shakes as you described. I had a 93 taurus w/ the same shimmy, but it was at hard acceleration, and it was a CV Joint. Turned out the axel was at fault. I know you're spending 185, but it may be well worth it. Let me know how this pans out b/c I may need to delve into this further to see what is causing my car to shake!
Old 01-06-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by funnylittlman

Ian,
I recently ran into vibration problems as well. I got my ACT HDMM clutch put in, and I would notice a slight vibration at 750 rpms and then when I would accelerate above 63. Well that and abt a new flywheel and clutch later, the shaking at idle went away, but the shaking above 60 hasn't. Now, I just got new tires, so I took the car back to NTB (I KNOW I KNOW) and get them rebalanced. Helped, but not fixed. Car still shakes as you described. I had a 93 taurus w/ the same shimmy, but it was at hard acceleration, and it was a CV Joint. Turned out the axel was at fault. I know you're spending 185, but it may be well worth it. Let me know how this pans out b/c I may need to delve into this further to see what is causing my car to shake!
Will do. Seeing as there is no other information on the .org about vibration under acceleration, I'm hoping this thread will help many people diagnose this in the future.

I really do hope it is the axle now, of course, because it's going to cost me some $$$ either way. Oh well, even if it isn't the axle, replacing it is good preventive maintenance.

So you find your vibraiton increases with torque? (On the freeway, when accellerating) Mine seems to go away above 90mph, but it's downright nasty going uphill at 70mph and accellerating.

That $185 could have been spent on tuning my Apexi-SAFC that will be here this week.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:12 PM

I was right - inboard CV Joint was bad, although the boots looked perfect.

Replaced the axle, problem solved!

I'm so happy now.

IanS
Old 01-19-2003, 03:46 PM

glad to hear it ian. i've still got to figure my vibration out.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I was right - inboard CV Joint was bad, although the boots looked perfect.

Replaced the axle, problem solved!

I'm so happy now.

IanS
Just goes to show that even if a part looks ok, its not always the case when you pull the thing to pieces and have a *good* look.
Great to have ur prob sorted out...could of cost you a fortune in replaced parts had you not zero'd in on it. What surprises me is the guy you got ur axel from...was convinced the inner cv boots werent the problem...whats with that?
Also...i mentioned in an earlier post that i had a similar vibration...it seems to be very intermittent..did your problem start out like that and slowly worsen?...
Old 01-19-2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by zappz

Just goes to show that even if a part looks ok, its not always the case when you pull the thing to pieces and have a *good* look.
Great to have ur prob sorted out...could of cost you a fortune in replaced parts had you not zero'd in on it. What surprises me is the guy you got ur axel from...was convinced the inner cv boots werent the problem...whats with that?
Also...i mentioned in an earlier post that i had a similar vibration...it seems to be very intermittent..did your problem start out like that and slowly worsen?...
Exactly - seemed intermittent, then after 2 months, including a drive to Phoenix from Seattle and back - it got REALLY bad.

Physically the thing looks perfect....

Although I was driving around later today, made a left, and "click-click-click" the passenger side is going that I replaced 2 months ago!!

I think I figured it out - Sprint+Tokicos+SC+MEVI = BAD.

If anyone is interested in trading my Sprints for some higher springs, let me know - we'll figure out compensation as we talk.

Hopefully, the guy at raxles will cover it under warranty....But I made the mistake of telling him I was lowered....

Well, at least it's only a light "click" right now - I figure I've got 2 more months before I have to change it again.

IanS