4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Big Problem!! Key wont turn

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 01:17 PM

Big Problem!! Key wont turn

So I go out to the garage to start my car last night. I put the key in the ignition but it wont turn, so I take it out, flip the key over, and try again, but no dice. So I am thinkin ok maybe the wheels locked, so I turn the wheel a few times, realizing its not locked. Then I figure something in the steering just needs to be loosend so I put it in neutral (5spd) and give it a little push while my friend plays with the steering. Well of course that locks up the steering. Finally I notice that the little button you push in to take the key out is still depressed, like it is jammed or something. Please help, any ideas so that I can use my car!
thanks, matt
Old 01-19-2003, 06:58 PM

Re: Big Problem!! Key wont turn

Originally posted by mddecker
So I go out to the garage to start my car last night. I put the key in the ignition but it wont turn, so I take it out, flip the key over, and try again, but no dice. So I am thinkin ok maybe the wheels locked, so I turn the wheel a few times, realizing its not locked. Then I figure something in the steering just needs to be loosend so I put it in neutral (5spd) and give it a little push while my friend plays with the steering. Well of course that locks up the steering. Finally I notice that the little button you push in to take the key out is still depressed, like it is jammed or something. Please help, any ideas so that I can use my car!
thanks, matt
Try spraying a penetrating oil into the key hole to free up the tumblers. Let it sit on there for about ten minutes before you try using the key. Then work the key in and out. A goo oil is PB Blaster available at most auto parts stores.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Try turning the key the back past off and hold it there while having your foot on the brake and turning the steering wheel. It is just locked in like a safe mode. Happens to me sometimes.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:09 PM
rmb

Re: Big Problem!! Key wont turn

Originally posted by mddecker
thanks, matt
Frozen? It's 5 degrees here so strange things happen. Heat it up....

Other than that get a large screwdriver and a hammer. Insert screwdriver into keyslot and tap tap tap tap tap tap tap... etc.....

-RMB
Old 01-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Maxima95Tuner

If none of those work, it is most likely that it has come time that your ignition switch(the thing you put the key into, dunno if thats what it's called) is busted. It happened to my friend about 2 months ago, and there was nothing he could do to fix it. He had to buy the whole new assembly.