4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

This is why I am glad I drive a 97

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by TurDz
95-96

Pros
- the ruby pearl and blue color (rare)
hmm...never knew my car was "rare" in any way (besides being among the first off the assembly line, VIN lower then 1000). No wonder why I haven't seen any 97+ Ruby Pearl Maximas around. One thing I miss from my 1990 3rd gen is the seperate switch for the autodown driver's window. The lack of dual power seats drives everybody crazy too.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:09 PM
Dev

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE

That's another reason why I like the 4th gen best, back then there was NOTHING that could touch the VQ, and we were the only cars with it.
if you're talking in terms of speed, in 97, i would say the GTP was the "untouchable" car of that time and price range.

i couldn't find a used gtp at the time (in decent condition and price), and the maxima was second in line. i found one in very good condition, and am very pleased with my purchase thus far.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Dev

if you're talking in terms of speed, in 97, i would say the GTP was the "untouchable" car of that time and price range.

i couldn't find a used gtp at the time (in decent condition and price), and the maxima was second in line. i found one in very good condition, and am very pleased with my purchase thus far.
GTP's are pretty quick - crappy 4K rev limiters though
Old 02-12-2003, 05:05 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

When my 2001 Accord V6 was totalled out a year ago, I was gonna buy a new car again.

Choices

2002 Maxima 6spd
Great car and loved everything about it, except that there was less room in the driver's seat and the lack of a telescoping wheel didn't allow me to fit comfortably in it. Couldn't buy one. :-(

2002 Altima SE 5spd
Another great car, but were brand new at the time and were going for way too much, the interior was just plain cheap and lousy. Looked better in press pics than in person. Liked it, but couldn't justify spending that much money on a car that wasn't going to satisfy me completely.

2002 Subaru WRX 5spd
Fun and zippy little car which ironically I had TONS of room in vs the 02 Maxima, but just too small overall (NO backseat when I'm driving) and not any luxury features.

So nothing new on the market really did it for me, so I found this car just as something to drive for a year or so until something better came around.

But after a year of ownership, I've ended up loving the car so much that I think I'm just gonna run the sucker into the ground until the wheels fall off too. Why waste money on trading cars if you already love your current car?

Performance is awesome stock, and even better with bolt-on mod's. Looks great. The car is also VERY lightweight and the engine is perfect and so torquey. I like the 97-99 styling a little better than the 95-96's, and I also like the improved crash protection as well.

This car is also a great sleeper as well. Because it only has 190HP everybody thinks it's slow, and probably automatic. Little do they know it can go 0-60 in 6.6s and run the 1/4 mile in only 15.2 @ 92-93 completely stock. It's a hoot driving this car around in my rice-infested town lighting up Integra's and Preludes that think their little 1.8 and 2.2 liters are gonna burn me up away from a stoplight. I like faster cars that nobody knows are fast.

4th Gen's Rule!
Old 02-12-2003, 05:31 AM
My heroine

I like faster cars that nobody knows are fast.

i agree completely.. it makes it so much more fun
Old 02-12-2003, 07:46 AM

true true but i can't understand why they think it's slow. those ignorant bastards haha it's a MAXIMA!! STANDARD V6!! OH WELL I LIKE IT THIS WAY BEING A SLEEPER AND ALL.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I love my 95 Maxima. I've been wanting this car for the longest, even before when I had my 96 Grand Am GT. I'd be wish mah car would break down so that I could rid of it. I tried to sell it, but nobody wanted it. The tranny finally went and saw the opportunity to get rid of it. Don't get me wrong, I liked my GAGT, but it could never compare to my maxima.

Oh yeah, about them civics with their POS 1.5L. They've had to learn the hard way not to mess with our maximas.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:35 AM

I'm loving the love for the 97-99's.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:18 AM
Ludicrous Speed

[gay mr. burns voice] I bring you love! [/gay mr. burns voice]

Yeah someone mentioned the 97 thing.. I guess that's the cheapest 4th gen revision in price. Is that why, perhaps?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:41 AM

I HATE THIS THREAD!

I will be apart of the 97-99 5speed crew one day.

I am going to start looking in about 1 month after my college stuff is done. What I want: 97-99 White SE 5-spd

My parents won't let me buy a car right now because they keep telling me to take their '02 but I won't feel right if I take this car forever. Plus, insurance isn't so good in NJ.

Can you guys say some more cons about your 4th gens so I stop getting frustrated over this.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:01 AM

I'm the other way around, I like the frontend of the 95-96 and the tail of my 97, and the only other complaint I have on my 97 is the wheels, kinda week, should have come with 16's on the GXE and GLE and 17's on the SE. I have the 15" sawblade and they look REAL dated to me. I was just thinking walking thru the parking lot at the grocery store last night....even a freakin Ford Taurus has better looking wheels than me....speaking of that, I know Mustang wheels will fit a Max, what about Taurus wheels? They have some nice looking 16" 5 spoke wheels......I just like 5 spoke, classic, yet refined! (starting to sound like a commercial for something....)Oh, I have a 96 SE too.....hence the name, the daughter drives the 96SE, I gave her the choice, she took the 96SE so I got the 97 GXE with every mod to look like a SE, gauges, wheels, spoiler, fogs,......the 96 is white I like that too and it has a sun/moon roof. I don't and mine is that sage green, it's different, don't see to many where I live, but it's no head turning color.....well gotta go to work.
L8R
2Maximas
Old 02-13-2003, 08:00 AM

Ever have a favorite pair of sneakers who's style is discontinued. If for some reason, that shoe company started making that style again, would you think twice about buying it?

Wouldn't it be great if Nissan put out a special line of 4th gen Maximas which fixed a few or all of the minor things we all complain about i.e. complete real wood factory dash for the gle, Aluminum dash for SE's, stronger longer lasting paint, better sounding security alarm ect... and sold them as sort of a "collectors" line of maxima for the 4th Gen enthusiast. I don't know about you guys, but I would trade in my baby the same week if a Max like that came out. If you think about it, 4th Gen owners probably make up the majority of current Maxima owners anyway, so most of us are obviously not motivated enough to go through with purchasing any of the newer models.....why not cater to the reason most of us choose to remain 4th Gen owners....right?
Old 02-13-2003, 10:34 AM

Interesting you would say that. Nissan, in participation with another company I think, started reselling the legendary 240Z just a couple of years ago for a short time before the new Z arrived. I don't think the 4th gen Maxima, nor any Maxima for that matter, has that kind of legendary status like the Z

DW

Originally posted by Capitone
Ever have a favorite pair of sneakers who's style is discontinued. If for some reason, that shoe company started making that style again, would you think twice about buying it?

Wouldn't it be great if Nissan put out a special line of 4th gen Maximas which fixed a few or all of the minor things we all complain about i.e. complete real wood factory dash for the gle, Aluminum dash for SE's, stronger longer lasting paint, better sounding security alarm ect... and sold them as sort of a "collectors" line of maxima for the 4th Gen enthusiast. I don't know about you guys, but I would trade in my baby the same week if a Max like that came out. If you think about it, 4th Gen owners probably make up the majority of current Maxima owners anyway, so most of us are obviously not motivated enough to go through with purchasing any of the newer models.....why not cater to the reason most of us choose to remain 4th Gen owners....right?
Old 02-13-2003, 10:47 AM

when i will learn how to drive stick, i would like to get my hands on 5 speed,wohooo
Old 02-13-2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by arlan
when i will learn how to drive stick, i would like to get my hands on 5 speed,wohooo
Who are you? PM Me bud!
Old 02-13-2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by funnylittlman

Who are you? PM Me bud!
someone has a crush....

arent you and arlan the same person?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:28 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I don't know about you guys but every time I park my wife's '88 325e I look over at my car and my eyes always goes to the C pillar area, oogling the curves, the wheel gap and my Momo rim
Maybe I'm a butt man?
Old 02-13-2003, 11:33 AM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
someone has a crush....

arent you and arlan the same person?
I sure as hell would like to know
Old 02-13-2003, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Interesting you would say that. Nissan, in participation with another company I think, started reselling the legendary 240Z just a couple of years ago for a short time before the new Z arrived. I don't think the 4th gen Maxima, nor any Maxima for that matter, has that kind of legendary status like the Z

DW

Speaking of Z's, the 300Z would be another Bad A$$ car I'd love to get my hands on brand new!! Like 4th Gen Maximas, theres is just something So Hot about the 300Z's body style to me.