4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

spray paint the spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 05:57 PM

spray paint the spoiler?

I am just about to do the skyline mod, but also have a wings west touring type spoiler (cheston's ride), now it has been sitting in my basement for 6 months, i wanted to get it painted when I get my body kit, but that will be a long time. Meanwhile, I want to have this spoiler on my car, if I just take some primer, paint, and clearcoat, applying 7-10 thin layers of basecoat, what do you guys think the results will be?

P.S. If I do this, how to I control the possibility of extra paint running down in rivers down the spoiler? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

take your time and do everything right and it should come out good. i saw ppl that knew what they were doin with spray cans and you couldnt even tell the difference between that and the factory
Old 12-09-2002, 06:56 PM

Its gunna look like complete rice (not the spoiler itself) but because the paint is not going to match at all. Look around at you local body shops, it shouldn't be expensive, its just not worth doing yourself.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:03 PM

Old 12-09-2002, 08:32 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

get a spray gun and have a body shop or a dealership mix up some paint for you and it's very possible to do it yourself well enough for people to not be able to tell..

primer and clearcoat can be bought too..

there is a lot of stuff online about this
i'm going to try painting my body kit myself...

it's very possible,
if you prep it right and get the proper paint
Old 12-10-2002, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by ch13f
Its gunna look like complete rice (not the spoiler itself) but because the paint is not going to match at all. Look around at you local body shops, it shouldn't be expensive, its just not worth doing yourself.
paint will be from paintscratch.com which should match exactly? i wonder how much a shop would charge for this?
Old 12-10-2002, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by brodaiga

paint will be from paintscratch.com which should match exactly? i wonder how much a shop would charge for this?
No it would not be an exact match, especially on a darker-colored car, but it will be close. A shop would charge $150-$200 for paint and install of a touring wing, probably $110ish for just paint.
-Cyrus
Old 12-10-2002, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by brodaiga

I got paint from them before and they matched sterling mist pretty close. That color itself is already hard to match..
Old 12-12-2002, 05:47 AM

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I got my paint from levineautoparts.com. They'll mix up a 16oz can of custom color(based on your year model and paint code) for $20. I read somewhere that it is better to only put enough basecoat to cover the primer (2-3) thin coats. Then follow with 2-3 good coats of clearcoat. I'll be getting my paint in today so I'll follow up with progress.

Paint shop wanted $550 to do the rear bumper and spoiler on my 91 SE. I've primed my bumper and wet sanded with 600 and it feels really good. I've read that I can sand my clearcoat with 1200 then follow up with polish to really make it look good. Any comments anyone?

Bobby
Old 12-12-2002, 07:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've primed my bumper and wet sanded with 600 and it feels really good. I've read that I can sand my clearcoat with 1200 then follow up with polish to really make it look good. Any comments anyone?
That sounds about right to me, for a home job. I've thought about doing this myself, and that's what I would do.

The thing about matching paint, I think, isn't necessarily getting it glass smooth. If you look at your factory paint, it's not perfect, not by any means. There is a certain amount of orange peel texture and rippling, so I think if you get a perfect coat of paint with a perfect coat of clear on your spoiler, it might look out of place.

I have to say, though, that my paint looks really good. Certainly better than most American cars I've looked at.

Of course, this all goes out the window if you're repainting the whole car, and I hope you're not trying to do that in your garage with a rattle can.

Josh
Old 12-12-2002, 07:30 AM

I don't think I'll try doing the entire car but if I have success with the bumper and spoiler, I may give the hood a shot. Had a cat with some sort of oozing skin disease lay on my hood and it etched the paint. I've tried everything I can think of to buff it out but it's to the bone. I have about 8 or 9 small dings in the hood (I think one of my kids crawled on the hood when they were younger). The paint shop guys said that if I get it painted, those dings will stick out. I found a Max at the junk yard the other day with an almost perfect hood but it was very dirty. I'm thinking about going back out with some stuff to try to clean and shine it up and see how many dings it has. If they'll sell it to me for a reasonable price, I may be tempted to try to repaint it and try it on my Max.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by GA91SEVG30E
I don't think I'll try doing the entire car but if I have success with the bumper and spoiler, I may give the hood a shot. Had a cat with some sort of oozing skin disease lay on my hood and it etched the paint. I've tried everything I can think of to buff it out but it's to the bone. I have about 8 or 9 small dings in the hood (I think one of my kids crawled on the hood when they were younger). The paint shop guys said that if I get it painted, those dings will stick out. I found a Max at the junk yard the other day with an almost perfect hood but it was very dirty. I'm thinking about going back out with some stuff to try to clean and shine it up and see how many dings it has. If they'll sell it to me for a reasonable price, I may be tempted to try to repaint it and try it on my Max.
That is disgusting, btw.

Invest in a spray gun if you're going to do a hood. That's a lot of area, a rattle can will leave track marks that you have to work awfully hard to buff out. Also, you'll look at that hood every time you drive the car and wonder why you didn't do it right the first time.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:25 AM

Yeah, you're right. It was disgusting . I think I'll probably let a paint shop do the hood. Maybe I'll try to hold the cost down by preparing the hood myself and just taking it to them to finish.
Old 12-12-2002, 10:53 AM

have a shop do it. Maker it look right the first time.

SuDZ