4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

slow cranks in the early morning... what do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 09:32 AM

This is very strange...

I too had this problem last winter, and I believe a little bit during winter before that. Last winter it was the worst though, everyday it would happen. It would start then drop and stall, then eventually it didn't even start regularly, it would chug and do nothing.

But this story gets weird. This winter, it has barely happened. I haven't done anything to the car, but sure enough its pretty much gone. Now I have a dilema. I have hit 70k and I wanted to get a tune up, but now that the car is working fairly well, should I? And when I say tune up, I mean everything done.
-e
Old 01-15-2003, 09:45 AM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by Egression
This is very strange...

I too had this problem last winter, and I believe a little bit during winter before that. Last winter it was the worst though, everyday it would happen. It would start then drop and stall, then eventually it didn't even start regularly, it would chug and do nothing.

But this story gets weird. This winter, it has barely happened. I haven't done anything to the car, but sure enough its pretty much gone. Now I have a dilema. I have hit 70k and I wanted to get a tune up, but now that the car is working fairly well, should I? And when I say tune up, I mean everything done.
-e
do the scheduled maintenance. things may be working fine now, but if you want to keep it that way, you should perform scheduled maintenance. you'll be pleasantly suprised with the car's performance after replacing plugs, filters, etc.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by 88MaximaSE

Also, check out ur engine coolant sensor connection. maybe ur car thinks its warm when it starts. I've read in a used car book that 4th gen maximas are bad at starting. stupid nissan.
whre is the coolant sensor located?

i may just change mine and see if that does it

Ant
Old 01-15-2003, 04:30 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I have a starting problem as well....
but it's a bit different.....

I crank it up.. it takes a bit longer than usual but it does crank up and start... RPMs hop up and then return back down slowly and it stalls out..

50% of the time, it does crank up on 1st try... first RPMs hop up, then they drop down to a millimeter from zero, NEARLY stalling out then bounce back up real high... occasionally it does this bounce 2 times.. wtf?

my battery seems to be in good shape, although i have no idea...

spark plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve, and other maintenance items are brand new...

what can cause this?
or is it normal?

btw,
my 98 max doesn't have this problem..
Old 01-15-2003, 04:52 PM

i think if you give me your Type2 your car will start fine , again.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yellow Top starts me right up

Dave, your points are probably valid with the Yellow Top, however as with any "trend" there will always be someone outside the curve, like myself :-).

My Yellow Top has successfully started my car on the first crank for two rather cold New York winters, temps down in the 20's - 30's (windchill 15-18).

I have stock grounds and have always run Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil.

Originally posted by Dave B
FYI-

12.60 = 100% charge

12.40 = 75% of the charge

<12.40 = a discharged battery

I could have sworn Yellow Top Optimas are not ideal for cold weather. Search the net and you'll see that the Red Top Optimas are what you need to run in cold weather climates. The guys in the south don't have problems with their Yellow Tops because it never dips below the 30s for extended periods of time. Don't you guys see a trend? Those with Yellow Tops experience consistent hard starting in cold weather. It's been in the low 30s and 20s and my car starts INSTANTLY with a new Die Hard battery.

Also, be VERY careful with that "hyper" ground crap. A few members have smoked major relays in their Maximas trying to install these setups.

Dave
Old 01-15-2003, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Stillnmax
i think if you give me your Type2 your car will start fine , again.
give you my Type II....

Ant
Old 01-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I have a starting problem as well....
but it's a bit different.....

I crank it up.. it takes a bit longer than usual but it does crank up and start... RPMs hop up and then return back down slowly and it stalls out..

50% of the time, it does crank up on 1st try... first RPMs hop up, then they drop down to a millimeter from zero, NEARLY stalling out then bounce back up real high... occasionally it does this bounce 2 times.. wtf?

what can cause this?
or is it normal?

btw,
my 98 max doesn't have this problem..
No that is not normal! Have you checked for error codes? If not I would try that. A dirty IAC Valve (Idle Air Control Valve) can cause what you described. It is behind the throttle body and you clean it with the same stuff you clean the throttle body with. I was going to clean mine as part of maintenance but the dealership didn't have an IAC Valve gasket in stock. Now I plan on doing it in the spring.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:42 PM

**UPDATE**

as of today i did the following:

1) bought and replaced the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor ($35 at local Nissan) 20min(have lots of shop rags ready)thanks to Joes02max for the ride to Nissan

2) removed and dismantled IAC valve, cleaned out and reassembled

3) cleaned throttle body AGAIN and found almost ZERO dirt build up

4) re-polished my intake manifold, valve cover and misc polished parts to keep them bling'n, hehe!

Car does not dip down in RPMS after initial startup. Seems to stay at higher RPM when started cold, above 1,000 which to me is a good thing. Now im just gonna let the car sit for a few hours and try startin her up. Im keepin my fingers crossed that the IAC cleaning and the new ECTS did the trick.

say a prayer for me guys!

Ant
Old 01-15-2003, 07:36 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by karguy

No that is not normal! Have you checked for error codes? If not I would try that. A dirty IAC Valve (Idle Air Control Valve) can cause what you described. It is behind the throttle body and you clean it with the same stuff you clean the throttle body with. I was going to clean mine as part of maintenance but the dealership didn't have an IAC Valve gasket in stock. Now I plan on doing it in the spring.
i will try that,

thanks.

It is quite annoying
Old 01-16-2003, 07:39 AM

it is now Thursday morning 11:00am.

i just tried to start my car up this morning and guess what happened?? IT STALLED OUT AGAIN!!!!!!

im gonna look into the "high idle plunger" next. Also i plan on goin through every ground connection under my hood with a dremel and some grinding bits. I ve read that it yeilds positive results so well see.

Ant
Old 01-16-2003, 09:54 AM

BUMP*

Ant
Old 01-16-2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by ny96max
it is now Thursday morning 11:00am.

i just tried to start my car up this morning and guess what happened?? IT STALLED OUT AGAIN!!!!!!

im gonna look into the "high idle plunger" next. Also i plan on goin through every ground connection under my hood with a dremel and some grinding bits. I ve read that it yeilds positive results so well see.

Ant
When you have car problems you sure get the ones that will drive you to drink! Good luck!
Old 01-16-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by karguy

When you have car problems you sure get the ones that will drive you to drink! Good luck!
actually i spoke to a Nissan Tech today that i know locally, he was tellin me that the 95-97 max's usually have bad "idle plungers". He said to me change that part and ill be worry free

Ant
Old 01-16-2003, 07:37 PM

actually i spoke to a Nissan Tech today that i know locally, he was tellin me that the 95-97 max's usually have bad "idle plungers". He said to me change that part and ill be worry free

Ant
That's great! Keep us posted.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:16 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Ever thought of just using another car's standard battery to see if you've got the same starting problems. As long as it's got 450 CCA, the VQ will start. Just an option instead of continuing to buy parts you might not need.

Dave
Old 01-16-2003, 09:02 PM

Ever thought of just using another car's standard battery to see if you've got the same starting problems. As long as it's got 450 CCA, the VQ will start. Just an option instead of continuing to buy parts you might not need.

Dave
this will be the LAST part i buy to try and solve this problem. Afer that i will just deal with it

like i posted earlier, my Yellow Top measured to be normal, and actually this morning read out 12.8 volts, so.... i guess that totally rules that out. Even Optima said themselves to me, "if it stays at 12.4 or higher your fine"

Ant
Old 01-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

this will be the LAST part i buy to try and solve this problem. Afer that i will just deal with it

like i posted earlier, my Yellow Top measured to be normal, and actually this morning read out 12.8 volts, so.... i guess that totally rules that out. Even Optima said themselves to me, "if it stays at 12.4 or higher your fine"

Ant
12.8V means you battery is over-charged and your alternator's diode may be faulty. 12.6V is the max your battery should be.

Dave
Old 01-16-2003, 09:29 PM

12.8V means you battery is over-charged and your alternator's diode may be faulty. 12.6V is the max your battery should be.

Dave
i meant to type 12.6, lol

Ant
Old 01-16-2003, 10:50 PM

Dave
if it were the battery it would not stall. tons of people have this problem and can't figure it out. never heard of the plunger thing but if it works let me know. because I've tried everything except that and I am going through the same problem as you.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:03 PM

I have hard starts too on my 1999 Maxima, 40K miles.

Replaced ECTS, battery, spark plugs, adjusted idle. Dropped Fuel injector cleaner 2 times in tank. No improvement. No codes on ECU.

Sometimes I also get a popping sound during start. A Nissan tech handed me 2 symptom diagnosis sheets.

Does this make sense? How many hours of work removing and reinstalling the tranny?

FC9002335
Symptom: Long crank before starting.
Description: Vehicle would crank for long time before starting and would occasionally sound as if the timing was too far advanced.
Root Cause: Poor engine ground between tranny and engine.
Service Procedure: Fabricate a 10 gauge wire jumper between 1 of upper bell housing bolts and 1 of lower engine oil pan bolts.
Source: Nissan NA

COMMENT: Apparently my car has this jumper installed already.

FC9002906
Symptom: Engine is hard to start sometimes.
Description: Engine is hard to start and a popping sound, like engine is out of time, can be heard.
Root Cause: Possible electrical noise caused by different electrical ground voltage levels in engine block, oil pan and tranmission castings.
Service Procedure: Check all tranny-to-engine mounting bolts and installed and torqued to specs. If problem remains, remove tranny, clean mounting faces on engine and tranny. Reassemble and torque to specs.
Source: Tim Brunet, Nissan NA
Old 01-23-2003, 10:03 PM

Ant
any word on that idle plunger thingy? how much is it?
Old 01-23-2003, 10:43 PM

here goes:

- battery terminals are 100% clean, belive me they are chrome dipped and do not show one bit of corrosion on them nor does any other part of my motor...

Ant
Chrome is a very bad conductor of electricity. You will get a 12.6v reading on the battery, however, the amperage is held back by the chrome. So, when you go to start it, all the power that wants to turn the engine is being held back through a mesh of resistance (chrome). The led on your battery is led for a reason. This could be a major factor.

My 2¢

(_8*(l)
Old 01-25-2003, 10:37 PM

Your battery is cold in the morning and has less power output as it gets colder. Takes longer to generate the amperage that is needed to turn the engine over. Perfectly normal.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by white95max
Your battery is cold in the morning and has less power output as it gets colder. Takes longer to generate the amperage that is needed to turn the engine over. Perfectly normal.
thats all i was lookin to hear

thanks,

Ant
Old 01-27-2003, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by 88MaximaSE

any word on that idle plunger thingy? how much is it?
was the plunger thing attempted?