4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheel Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 04:27 PM

Wheel Spacers

Curious and want to space out (move outward) my factory wheels on my 98 SE.

Any suggestions ?

Any recommendations on where to buy ?

THANKS!!!!!
Old 12-23-2002, 05:41 PM

Re: Wheel Spacers

Originally posted by bhaske1
Curious and want to space out (move outward) my factory wheels on my 98 SE.

Any suggestions ?

Any recommendations on where to buy ?

THANKS!!!!!
I'd go with H&R since they preserve the hubcentric mount. That is the wheel rests on the hub and not the lugs. Unfortunately they are very expensive; but if you know someone that has access to the manufactrer, go bug 'em....it'll be well worth it. The cost price is like $35 or something.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:53 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Re: Wheel Spacers

search for it, i remember someone asking about the same question a long long time ago and getting flamed like hell about how it didn't count as a mod and stuff.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:00 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can get them here...

...http://www.optauto.com/webstore/

1. You will have to get all New Wheel Studs (longer)
2. You will have to get VERY High Quality Lug Nuts like Mcguard Spline Drive (More Seating and Better torque 87-88lbs)
http://www.seriousauto.com/wheels/sp...plinedrive.htm
3. Get a quality Torque wrench Craftsman up to 150lbs
Old 12-23-2002, 11:44 PM

Re: You can get them here...

Originally posted by krbga
...http://www.optauto.com/webstore/

1. You will have to get all New Wheel Studs (longer)
2. You will have to get VERY High Quality Lug Nuts like Mcguard Spline Drive (More Seating and Better torque 87-88lbs)
http://www.seriousauto.com/wheels/sp...plinedrive.htm
3. Get a quality Torque wrench Craftsman up to 150lbs
The H&R spacers Do come with longer studs so that taken care of and make shure you use the longer studs with any spacer you get. I bought some H&R 5mm spacers from optionsauto.com (around $55)for my new 18s and the only hard part was taking the time to replace the studs. I dont see why you need better lug nuts though because the stock ones will do fine with stock wheels.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:43 AM

Re: Re: You can get them here...

Originally posted by Nismo

The H&R spacers Do come with longer studs so that taken care of and make shure you use the longer studs with any spacer you get. I bought some H&R 5mm spacers from optionsauto.com (around $55)for my new 18s and the only hard part was taking the time to replace the studs. I dont see why you need better lug nuts though because the stock ones will do fine with stock wheels.
which kit was the one your orderd from options? I want to get the same you did with the longer lugnut studs. Also do you have any tips on replacing the studs? Thanks

Kevin

EDIT was it this one : http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=417
Old 01-19-2003, 12:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: You can get them here...

Originally posted by Kevin

which kit was the one your orderd from options? I want to get the same you did with the longer lugnut studs. Also do you have any tips on replacing the studs? Thanks

Kevin

EDIT was it this one : http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=417
I bought the H&R 5mm ones.

Replacing the studs takes awhile but what I did was used a ball joint removal tool which is sort of like a c-clamp and I pressed them out. Another way is to just hammer them out and they will pop out but I heard that using the hammer method is bad for the wheel bearings. To install them I used a large c-clamp and pressed them in one at a time and I put on the spare tire and torqued the lug down 100 ft lbs. Make shure you remove and install one at a time because if you do them all at once, they will be crooked and you ownt be able to put the wheel on.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: You can get them here...

I bought the H&R 5mm ones.

Replacing the studs takes awhile but what I did was used a ball joint removal tool which is sort of like a c-clamp and I pressed them out. Another way is to just hammer them out and they will pop out but I heard that using the hammer method is bad for the wheel bearings. To install them I used a large c-clamp and pressed them in one at a time and I put on the spare tire and torqued the lug down 100 ft lbs. Make shure you remove and install one at a time because if you do them all at once, they will be crooked and you ownt be able to put the wheel on.
Thanks,

I'm assuming the ones that I linked to are the exact ones that you bought, correct? (they're 5mm as well it says type DRS or sometthing like that) I want to make sure that they come with the longer lugnut studs. Also do you have a picture of the tools that you used? So as you replaced each one put on the spare tire and tightened it to spec to ensure corerct alignment total of 5 times?? The entire brake assembly has to be taken aprt as well right? Sorry for all the questions, but given the situation I'm in I need all the iformation I canget. thanks

Kevin
Old 01-19-2003, 10:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can get them here...

Thanks,

I'm assuming the ones that I linked to are the exact ones that you bought, correct? (they're 5mm as well it says type DRS or sometthing like that) I want to make sure that they come with the longer lugnut studs. Also do you have a picture of the tools that you used? So as you replaced each one put on the spare tire and tightened it to spec to ensure corerct alignment total of 5 times?? The entire brake assembly has to be taken aprt as well right? Sorry for all the questions, but given the situation I'm in I need all the iformation I canget. thanks

Kevin
yep the H&R 5mm nissan spacers.

sorry no pics since I used my school's tools. you can just bang them out with a hammer and get a BIG C-clamp to press them in. To do that you first push in the stud as far as you can and try to tap it in with a small hammer so that it stays in by itself without falling, then get a large deep socket that is longer than the stud itself and put it over the top of the studs thread so you can put the C-clamp over the back of the stud and over the deep socket to press it on. After doing that, put the spare tire on and torque the stuf 100 ft lbs just like the H&R instructions say to do. If you dont understand somethign just ask me.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:45 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can get them here...

yep the H&R 5mm nissan spacers.

sorry no pics since I used my school's tools. you can just bang them out with a hammer and get a BIG C-clamp to press them in. To do that you first push in the stud as far as you can and try to tap it in with a small hammer so that it stays in by itself without falling, then get a large deep socket that is longer than the stud itself and put it over the top of the studs thread so you can put the C-clamp over the back of the stud and over the deep socket to press it on. After doing that, put the spare tire on and torque the stuf 100 ft lbs just like the H&R instructions say to do. If you dont understand somethign just ask me.
Thanks,

Do you think taht using an open lug nut and screwing the stud in all the wya might be a good idea?

Also this is the perfect excuse to get a torque wrench...lol...

Kevin
Old 01-19-2003, 11:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can get them here...

Thanks,

Do you think taht using an open lug nut and screwing the stud in all the wya might be a good idea?

Also this is the perfect excuse to get a torque wrench...lol...

Kevin
using the open lug like Kyokugen lug nuts is a good way to press the studs in. Just make shure you add some washers between the lug nut and the roter so you dont scratch up the surface of the roter. You will still have put on the tire to do the 100 lb torque after you press them in though.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:47 AM

Re: Re: You can get them here...

I called opt auto about teh 5mm kit and they said that the longert lugnut studs don't come with it. did you have to pay extra for them?

Kev