4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How do I change the engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 09:44 PM

How do I change the engine oil?

Is it better to change my engine oil by myself or bring it to the garage? since I can choose the oil I want. But the problem is that I don't know how to. It doesn't look too hard to change it but I need short directions. I know it's a stupid question but I'd like to know the answer.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:46 PM
aka UNCDooD

actually you can choose buy the oil and take it to the garage and just ask them to use the oil you have provided them with. I've done it plenty of times. Now, I just get my frind who is a mechanic to change it for me and he knows what kinda oil i use so its all good for me. and, he even gets me free inspections as well but shhhh.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:47 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: How do I change the engine oil?

Originally posted by Max-2-GTR
Is it better to change my engine oil by myself or bring it to the garage? since I can choose the oil I want. But the problem is that I don't know how to. It doesn't look too hard to change it but I need short directions. I know it's a stupid question but I'd like to know the answer.
ahhhhh i can't believe u asked a question like this. For the directions... please please search!!!!!!!!!!!

and for the opinionated question u asked... change ure oil urself! Do you run synthetic? If so, best to do it yourself. I know Wal-Mart changes synthetic oil for 30 bucks. Depends on how lazy u are really lol... but when it coem to my maxima, i do everything i can as much as possible.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:49 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by UNCDooD
actually you can choose buy the oil and take it to the garage and just ask them to use the oil you have provided them with. I've done it plenty of times. Now, I just get my frind who is a mechanic to change it for me and he knows what kinda oil i use so its all good for me. and, he even gets me free inspections as well but shhhh.
actually, i've had a problem w/ that. I wanted the mechanic i usually take it to change it w/ synthetic but he said it was against policy or something. I've done walmart a couple times (when i absolutely didn't have time).
Old 12-23-2002, 09:52 PM

What kind of oil should I use?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:56 PM
aka UNCDooD

Originally posted by nadir_s

actually, i've had a problem w/ that. I wanted the mechanic i usually take it to change it w/ synthetic but he said it was against policy or something. I've done walmart a couple times (when i absolutely didn't have time).
thats why you find a friend thats a mechanic that will change your oil if you let him make a pass at the track or just cruise down the street and back. lol
Old 12-23-2002, 09:56 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Max-2-GTR
What kind of oil should I use?
what kind of oil are you running now? and how many miles do you have on your car. It's usually bad to switch from regular oil to synthetic... you might start leaking because the synthetic oil is thinner. When my car was new, it was switched to synthetic oil early so i've been running it on that since then.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:01 PM

Step 1: Make sure engine is warm and car is on level surface
Step 2: find Oil drain plug
Step 3: Take drain pan, place under drain plug.
Step 4: Loosen and remove drain plug. Be careful not to drop in pan or you'll have to retrieve it later.
Step 5: Locate Oil Filter
Step 6: make sure there is something to catch the oil from under the oil filter
Step 7: Loosen Oil filter, allow oil to drain somewhat
Step 8: Remove oil filter
Step 9: After all oil is sufficiantly drained, replace drain plug and install new oil filter. (before installation, put a thin layer of fresh oil on the rubber seal of the filter.)
Step 10: refill with oil until the reading on the dipstick is acceptable. Should be around 4 to 5 qts.
Step 11: replace oil filler cap.

You're done, have a beer.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:03 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by MacGyver265
Step 1: Make sure engine is warm and car is on level surface
Step 2: find Oil drain plug
Step 3: Take drain pan, place under drain plug.
Step 4: Loosen and remove drain plug. Be careful not to drop in pan or you'll have to retrieve it later.
Step 5: Locate Oil Filter
Step 6: make sure there is something to catch the oil from under the oil filter
Step 7: Loosen Oil filter, allow oil to drain somewhat
Step 8: Remove oil filter
Step 9: After all oil is sufficiantly drained, replace drain plug and install new oil filter. (before installation, put a thin layer of fresh oil on the rubber seal of the filter.)
Step 10: refill with oil until the reading on the dipstick is acceptable. Should be around 4 to 5 qts.
Step 11: replace oil filler cap.

You're done, have a beer.
quick add-on to that, the drain plug and oil filter is located on the passenger side of the car and is covered by a shield that u need to unscrew and remove.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:07 PM

what kind of oil are you running now? and how many miles do you have on your car. It's usually bad to switch from regular oil to synthetic... you might start leaking because the synthetic oil is thinner. When my car was new, it was switched to synthetic oil early so i've been running it on that since then.
There was actually a post earlier about a month ago where a knowledgeable member (White96MaxSE)of the board disputed the myths of Synthetic and Dino oil. In fact, this guy mixes Synth and Dino.

About halfway down:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&pagenumber=6

The next page too:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....0&pagenumber=7
Old 12-23-2002, 10:53 PM

Well, I changed the oil at the garage so I guess they used the normal oil

Hein thx MacGyver265 for the directions!
Old 12-23-2002, 10:57 PM

No problem... remember, those directions are not specific to just the Maxima, but nearly all cars. Thanks to Nadir for noting that the splashguard underneath the engine needs removing, I forgot about that.

Old 12-24-2002, 07:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

For the spashguard, you dont need to remove it. Merely bend it back to reach the oil filter. all you need to do is get to the oil filter and do a swap while youre changing the oil.