4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pollution

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 08:06 PM

Pollution

I know questions about the y-pipe affecting state emmison tests have been asked before, and ive read that you should be fine at operating temp. my question is more of a moral question, since i live in kansas and we dont have emission testing. (gotta love those republicans) Anyway, i am planing on reduing my whole exhaust getup except for the cat wich will remain stock. but since im kind of into the enviornment i didnt want to alter my car so that ill be polluting a lot. What exactly are the "pre-cats" and how much more will my car pollute with a budget y pipe. i really want to get the y-pipe, but im afraid it will pollute to much. i can handle a slight increase in emmisions, but if it is too much ill just get a cat back and leave the y alone.

someone knowledgeable please answer this.

oh and just to vent, people who remove their cat for a pipe suck and i hope you get fined.

thanx
david
Old 12-28-2002, 08:52 PM

Although I'm not a fanatic tree-hugger, I've got to agree with you that we shouldn't be doing things that spew an "undue" amount of pollutants into the air. To address your question about the Budget y-pipe, a bunch of us in Ontario, Canada are subject to an emissions test every couple years. I think 3 or 4 folks with Bduget's y-pipe have gotten test numbers that are within/well within the limits for things like hydrocarbons, nitrous oxides, etc.

The pre-cats in the oem y-pipe is to scrub out pollutants that are present upon start-up only. How much that amounts to, I don't know. If you can handle this somewhat hand-waving answer, then a Budget y-pipe is probably "morally" okay for your Max.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:20 PM

As for the morality of getting a y-pipe or not, only you could make that call. based on your post, it sounds like you already know the answer...

interesting enough, you'd be surprised how little the average person knows about how the energy we use in the US is generated and how that energy production relates to global warming. the fact is, the majority of our electricity is generated by burning cheap, abundant, good ol' American COAL! so if you really want to save the environment, reduce your electricity use. that could mean less hours on maxima.org
Old 12-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

As mentioned, the precats are there to reduce cold start emissions. They are located closer to the exhaust ports so they light off sooner. Once the system is up to normal temps, the main cat does plenty of exhaust scrubbing.