4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I just figured out what is missing from this forum.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 07:09 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just figured out what is missing from this forum.

I have been on many performance based forums and all have one thing that this one does not have. See every other forum has talk of engine work. I don't see anyone talking about which piston gives what compression ratio, or who makes the cheapest lightweight rod, or timing, or cam ratios, or not even injectors that I can recall. I figure this could be attributed to one of one of three things.
1. I just missed that day of school and all this is common knowledge.

2. nobody has really been interested in truley building a VQ. Or,

3. These long blocks are just so good that no engine work is worth the time or money.

Help me out guys. Sure I am a newbie but an older and hopefluy wiser one, That being said please don't prey on my ignorance.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:11 PM

Re: I just figured out what is missing from this forum.

simply put..they make stuff for other cars
Old 12-29-2002, 07:13 PM

ok... but surely we can crossreference a forged piston or a titanium rod or something.
But I also don't see anyone saying "I blew an engine today" which is usually the result of someone doing something they did not really know how to do inside an engine.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by plurco
ok... but surely we can crossreference a forged piston or a titanium rod or something.
But I also don't see anyone saying "I blew an engine today" which is usually the result of someone doing something they did not really know how to do inside an engine.
alot of transmissions seem to blow

anu
Old 12-29-2002, 07:16 PM

there have been a few built vqs, the real thing about it is that most that put all the time and effort into it like to keep the knowledge a secret, i know a few in texas that have some pretty custom stuff that many dont know about, don in texas built his vq up, but he now has a 5th gen, there are a few more out there, you just have to find them
Old 12-29-2002, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by patel_anu

alot of transmissions seem to blow

anu
eww auto's I hope.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:22 PM

This man I used to work with had a 475 HP Type R running mid to low 12's. I can't see why these cars can't do similar. not to mention that one of my costomers has a "i think it is" '96 300z twin turbo
completely built by Turbo Specialties in Birmingham Al. that was dynoed at 625HP and are these not basicly the same engines?
Old 12-29-2002, 07:23 PM
rmb

Re: I just figured out what is missing from this forum.

I have been on many performance based forums and all have one thing that this one does not have.
Help me out guys. Sure I am a newbie but an older and hopefluy wiser one, That being said please don't prey on my ignorance.
A combo of things you mentioned.

1) The biggest thing is just the number of people seriously modding Max's(not just the 19" ghetto rims and 4" exhausts). It's just no comparison to the number of modded civics or the venerable Chevy 350 variants out there. It would cost big $$$ to custom design rods or pistons or other internals for a very very small audience.

2) The basic long-block is pretty well tweaked. There is no easy secret HP recipe. Plus as you know most heavy internal mods would also require expensive and complicated fuel and computer upgrades. And all the trial and error that would be required would get expensive very fast since there's no cheap source of aftermarket blocks or heads once you nuke a few.

3) With either a S/C or turbo kit that are already available(and guinea-pigged for you) you could easily make more than enough power to shred most of the drivetrain, let alone get the HP to the ground in the 4-door front-drive sedan that it is.

-RMB
Old 12-29-2002, 07:26 PM

Re: Re: I just figured out what is missing from this forum.

Originally posted by rmb

3) With either a S/C or turbo kit that are already available(and guinea-pigged for you) you could easily make more than enough power to shred most of the drivetrain, let alone get the HP to the ground in the 4-door front-drive sedan that it is.

-RMB
Are these drivetrains really that fragile? or are you just saying if you abuse them at 300+ hp?
Old 12-29-2002, 07:33 PM
rmb

Re: Re: Re: I just figured out what is missing from this forum.

Are these drivetrains really that fragile? or are you just saying if you abuse them at 300+ hp?
The drivetrains are very good but they were designed to be reliable with 190hp. You've got a lot of people here going for 1/4 mile times over and over. Add 100 hp with S/C, NOS, or a turbo and you're gonna break stuff eventually if you like to "hear it chirp going into third".

If you want 300+hp and something very very fast, the Maxima IMO isn't a good choice to start with. There's a lot of cheaper and more proven alternatives.

-RMB
Old 12-29-2002, 07:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: I just figured out what is missing from this forum.

Originally posted by rmb

The drivetrains are very good but they were designed to be reliable with 190hp. You've got a lot of people here going for 1/4 mile times over and over. Add 100 hp with S/C, NOS, or a turbo and you're gonna break stuff eventually if you like to "hear it chirp going into third".

If you want 300+hp and something very very fast, the Maxima IMO isn't a good choice to start with. There's a lot of cheaper and more proven alternatives.

-RMB
I am sure, but you gotta work with what ya got.
Old 12-29-2002, 08:55 PM

i might be dumb in saying this, but from what ive learned about the vq's is, they got a lot of stuff right the first time. People seem to lose power when they mess with the ignition, or spark plugs, or timing or internals. I only say this to a certain extent, but nissan engines are relatively strong and seem to handle high amounts of power good to a certain level. And no the 300zx and ours isnt similar(VG)
Old 12-29-2002, 09:10 PM
SLOW

This man I used to work with had a 475 HP Type R running mid to low 12's. I can't see why these cars can't do similar. not to mention that one of my costomers has a "i think it is" '96 300z twin turbo
completely built by Turbo Specialties in Birmingham Al. that was dynoed at 625HP and are these not basicly the same engines?
No, the engines share nothing in common besides the fact that they are both 3.0L V6s made by nissan. Iron vs aluminum block, different bore/stroke, etc.

As to the original question, there are built maximas out there, but it takes alot of custom parts and extensive research, things that people are not willing to just give up *****-nilly after they spent their hard earned thousands pioneering.

Basically, people don't blow these motors that often. Honestly I've only ever heard of one that was broken due to excessive hp. MOST of the guys that are putting 400+ to the wheels already have built motors. The guys who are running in the 300-400whp range do their homework and make sure enough fuel is provided and don't have to worry about popping the motor, because 400hp doesn't seem to be enough to do it.

Most people arent willing to shell out extra thousands to fortify an engine to run 350hp that needs no fortifying. The truely powerful one are pretty tight lipped about their setups.
Old 12-29-2002, 10:38 PM

the vq = special

hondas that run low 12's on built engines sponsored by superstreet and "big-flare-wide-mouth-kamikazie-street fighter-look ma this kit has so much sticking off it I nearly cant accelerate cuz the hood scoop is so tall i cant see out my window body kit inc." in which you supposedly know many people who have these stupid things= NOT SPECIAL

Old 12-30-2002, 01:57 AM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by Sean97SE
the vq = special

hondas that run low 12's on built engines sponsored by superstreet and "big-flare-wide-mouth-kamikazie-street fighter-look ma this kit has so much sticking off it I nearly cant accelerate cuz the hood scoop is so tall i cant see out my window body kit inc." in which you supposedly know many people who have these stupid things= NOT SPECIAL

whoah there man, this n00b is being serious about this stuff. He's asking about the important stuff, and not the "how can i get a 3-decker aluminum wing for my trunk lid and roof without breaking them while going fast in my twin 100-shot NOS VQ in bright green ricer?"

To plurco:

As many have said, this engine really is a dream come true. I hade a comment about nitrous, but theses engines could probably handle a lot more punishment than the celicas, or the b-, h-, or even j- series honda engines.

A lot of the guys in the Turbocharged/Supercharged forum section will probably gladly give you enough info to where you can find your own tuner, give him some details, and then the tuner can earn the cash he's gonna get out of you. Odds are you'll come up with something slightly different and possibly better. The guys on here with secret info know what kind of questions come from people that have good intentions. As your projects progress, there'll be the right questions you can ask and they'll know you're not just trying to rip them off.

Welcome to Maxima.org .. and as many will tell you, Search is your friend.

The topics you look for are not in the numbers of threads necessary for another forum section, but you can also post your concerns at the feedback forum section.

(ok, can i be a moderator now? )
Old 12-30-2002, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

No, the engines share nothing in common besides the fact that they are both 3.0L V6s made by nissan. Iron vs aluminum block, different bore/stroke, etc.
I wasn't aware the 300z was a cast iron block, because I know the VQ engine is Aluminum.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:16 AM

If you want to go to the next level...

If you want to go to the next level, where you can work with changing pistons, rods, stroker kits, heads, cams, etc.... and do it semi-affordably.... You're looking at the 5.0 mustang.

The 'Fox' body 5.0 mustang came out in 1979, and didn't change hardly at all through 1995! The fuel injected 5.0's ran from 1986-1995... and the small block ford had been in production since 1961.

There are TONS of tested and proven aftermarket parts available for these cars. Competition between the producers has driven the quality up and the prices down. My mustang is a 1966 model, and I'm a carbureted/nitrous guy...

If you want to step up to a car where you can do serious engine mods, choose from a wide variety of transmissions, etc... it's really tough to beat those 1979-1995 mustangs. They are rear wheel drive, and there are suspension kits out there (and I mean real suspension kits) that will transform these cars anywhere from full on drag cars to serious road racers.

THAT being said, my mustang is a 'toy'. My maxima is my everyday ride. I really like it's combination of dependability, economy, power, handling, etc. It's the ultimate daily transportation. I wouldn't want to drive the mustang every day! It gets crappy mileage, the dual 3" exhaust would get old... it's just a bit too wild for an everyday ride. But, there are plenty of people out there with 11-12 second mustangs that use them for everyday transportation.

Anyone doing major engine modifications with a maxima is stepping out into fairly uncharted territory. It's going to cost WAY more than doing the same thing to a mustang, and it will be slower, and since combinations are untested, it will likely be a very frustrating endeavor. However, among the maxima peer group, these brave people who step out like this and break new ground, get plenty of respect. I cheer for the underdog, and 100% respect anyone who is able to do what others have not. It takes patience, intelligence, and a lot of determination!

Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2002, 08:28 AM

Re: If you want to go to the next level...

Originally posted by n2oMike
If you want to go to the next level, where you can work with changing pistons, rods, stroker kits, heads, cams, etc.... and do it semi-affordably.... You're looking at the 5.0 mustang.

The 'Fox' body 5.0 mustang came out in 1979, and didn't change hardly at all through 1995! The fuel injected 5.0's ran from 1986-1995... and the small block ford had been in production since 1961.

There are TONS of tested and proven aftermarket parts available for these cars. Competition between the producers has driven the quality up and the prices down. My mustang is a 1966 model, and I'm a carbureted/nitrous guy...

If you want to step up to a car where you can do serious engine mods, choose from a wide variety of transmissions, etc... it's really tough to beat those 1979-1995 mustangs. They are rear wheel drive, and there are suspension kits out there (and I mean real suspension kits) that will transform these cars anywhere from full on drag cars to serious road racers.

THAT being said, my mustang is a 'toy'. My maxima is my everyday ride. I really like it's combination of dependability, economy, power, handling, etc. It's the ultimate daily transportation. I wouldn't want to drive the mustang every day! It gets crappy mileage, the dual 3" exhaust would get old... it's just a bit too wild for an everyday ride. But, there are plenty of people out there with 11-12 second mustangs that use them for everyday transportation.

Anyone doing major engine modifications with a maxima is stepping out into fairly uncharted territory. It's going to cost WAY more than doing the same thing to a mustang, and it will be slower, and since combinations are untested, it will likely be a very frustrating endeavor. However, among the maxima peer group, these brave people who step out like this and break new ground, get plenty of respect. I cheer for the underdog, and 100% respect anyone who is able to do what others have not. It takes patience, intelligence, and a lot of determination!

Good Luck!
You and I have alot in common. The car I traded in on my Max was a '95 Mustang GT lightly modded running high 13's. My project car which I have had since I was 16 is a '66 mustang coupe which I am turning into a restorod. Doing TCP suspension and brakes, fiberglass bodypanels, but keeping the original 200 I6 (i love an underdog)
Just building it to 275+ HP
With the max I want to acheive this. I want a 275-300 hp sleeper. This means I will do no radical body kits or loud as hell mufflers, and I want factory 17's to go on it as well. I don't plan on abusing it by any means, sometimes knowing you have something is just as important as using it. But I want to be able to use it once in a while too.
I don't think my goals are too lofty.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:04 AM

If you want 300 HP out of the Maxima, I'd suggest the Supercharger with a pully combo to achieve something around a 10 PSI boost. This kind of boost would require lowering the compression ratio to something closer to 9:1, with as high an octane rating you can buy at the pump (94 at Sunoco). Instead of changing out pistons which would be a painfully costly endeavor, I'd suggest machining the combustion chambers on the heads or somehow adding a thicker head gasket. The head gasket route may be cheaper, but then again, if you have to have one custom made, it could get rather costly.

If you can get ahold of some pistons from a wrecked Maxima, I'd check to see if its possible to dish the pistons out a little to drop the CR. These are the only methods I really know of to drop compression ratio.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

eww auto's I hope.
A lot of 5 speeds blowing gears.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:31 AM
CaLSoNiC

Originally posted by MacGyver265
If you want 300 HP out of the Maxima, I'd suggest the Supercharger with a pully combo to achieve something around a 10 PSI boost. This kind of boost would require lowering the compression ratio to something closer to 9:1, with as high an octane rating you can buy at the pump (94 at Sunoco). Instead of changing out pistons which would be a painfully costly endeavor, I'd suggest machining the combustion chambers on the heads or somehow adding a thicker head gasket. The head gasket route may be cheaper, but then again, if you have to have one custom made, it could get rather costly.

If you can get ahold of some pistons from a wrecked Maxima, I'd check to see if its possible to dish the pistons out a little to drop the CR. These are the only methods I really know of to drop compression ratio.
A turboed Maxima @ 4PSI provides more HP&TQ than a Supercharged Maxima @ 10PSI...

Old 12-30-2002, 10:51 AM

Supercharged Maximas are more tried and true than any turbocharged Maxima though. But then again, if you're going to get experimental, you might as well mess around.

The supercharger will give you more off the line power and just an overall inrease of torque from the already Bonneville Salt Flat TQ curve of the Maxima, but then you lose out on high rpm torque and power.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:12 AM

there are those that have custom made head gaskets. there are places you can buy custom dished pistons (aries). jwt has new cams out (although designed for an n/a). there are plenty of things already available to fortify the already strong VQ. nigel is running on pretty stock internals and is at ~370FWHP. think TRACTION!
Old 12-30-2002, 11:15 AM

Yeah, some foot wide tires and a 50-50 LSD will be a necessary expense.
Old 12-30-2002, 11:56 AM
CaLSoNiC

Supercharged Maximas are more tried and true than any turbocharged Maxima though. But then again, if you're going to get experimental, you might as well mess around.

The supercharger will give you more off the line power and just an overall inrease of torque from the already Bonneville Salt Flat TQ curve of the Maxima, but then you lose out on high rpm torque and power.
Actually:

Thanks turbomaxima.com you guys are pimps

Old 12-30-2002, 12:17 PM

Many Factors Involved...

Centrifugal superchargers build more boost as rpm increases... therefore won't build the lower rpm boost that a turbo is capable of.

Turbos are also more efficient as in how they are driven.

I would say the long, lower rpm tuned runners of the stock intake really work well with the turbo cars. The MEVI looks like it might be a really hot item with the 10psi Vortech blower.

Of course, the most important variable in ANY blower/turbo install is the tuning! Overly rich mixtures will kill power, and overly lean mixtures will cause detonation and make the engine come apart. Most places that sell over the counter blower setups tend to err or the conservative side. They don't want people complaining about blown engines. I would say the maxima (with its fairly high compression ratio) is set for a VERY safe tune. A lower compression ratio would allow for a leaner, more powerful mixture and more ignition timing.

Custom software is available that allows the 5.0 mustang crowd to custom tune their computers on the fly with a laptop computer. A custom tune on a dyno by somebody that knows what they are doing will often add 100+ horsepower to many blown combinations, while increasing driveability and mileage, and decreasing emissions.

It would be scary what kind of power a maxima would make with lower compression, tons of boost, MEVI intake, big injectors, 3" exhaust, etc... with a dyno tune that could make it all work... Of course, then you'd probably be in the market for motor mounts, heavier duty tranny, stronger axles, etc.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:18 PM

Are those Superchargers Intercooled? The turbos most likely are. If the Superchargers aren't (or are water cooled ICs) that would make sense, otherwise it doesn't make any sense whatsoever and I'd stand corrected. I had no doubt a 4 PSI turbo would outperform a 6PSI SC though.

The 10PSI boost has the highest peak HP according to the graph and has the most low end TQ as I said before.

Why does the Turbo drop off so quickly at the higher RPM while the SC keeps going? Is that wastegate configuration or something?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:42 PM

Are those Superchargers Intercooled? The turbos most likely are. If the Superchargers aren't (or are water cooled ICs) that would make sense, otherwise it doesn't make any sense whatsoever and I'd stand corrected. I had no doubt a 4 PSI turbo would outperform a 6PSI SC though.
Centrifugal blowers build boost with rpm. Turbos build boost with engine load. Centribugal blowers often won't build any boost until 3500 rpm or so. (depending upon how they are pullied)

Blowers also suck a lot of power from the engine. (belt driven) It takes a lot more power than you think to build boost with those things. The mustang guys use 8-10 rib belts tightened as tight as a banjo string, or even cogged units to keep the belt from slipping. If the blower takes 20 horsepower to run, and increases output by 60, only 40 gets to the flywheel.

The exhaust restriction of a turbo restricts horsepower as well, but it's still a way more efficient way to drive the compressor than a belt. It's easier on parts as well, since the engine doesn't have to waste it's output turning the blower.

Why does the Turbo drop off so quickly at the higher RPM while the SC keeps going? Is that wastegate configuration or something?
4psi only goes so far... The centrifugal blower is working in it's domain at that rpm, making it's full boost. Centrifugal blowers like the Vortech, work with engine speed.

Good Luck!
Old 12-30-2002, 12:49 PM

Ok, cool. I am a bit more familiar with the performance of Roots type blowers and was basing my information on that. I see that centrifugal blowers are far different.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:37 PM

alright here is my the plan that I have kept to myself.
I plan on getting the turbo combo that I have seen advertised
on here. The one T-03/04 hybrid. Then I was gonna take advantage of being friends with one of the top turbo guys in the country by letting him tweek the turbo and do all my tuning. Before this I plan
on installing a street clutch, 7lb flywheel, and LSD. I figure this
will do what I want it to do.
Old 12-30-2002, 03:18 PM

alright here is my the plan that I have kept to myself.
I plan on getting the turbo combo that I have seen advertised
on here. The one T-03/04 hybrid. Then I was gonna take advantage of being friends with one of the top turbo guys in the country by letting him tweek the turbo and do all my tuning. Before this I plan
on installing a street clutch, 7lb flywheel, and LSD. I figure this
will do what I want it to do.
think Haltech engine management...uncle max style!
Old 12-30-2002, 03:30 PM

not to mention it looks like th turbo makes max power at about 5500
rpm's where the engine is very happy
Old 12-30-2002, 04:34 PM
SLOW

The 10PSI boost has the highest peak HP according to the graph and has the most low end TQ as I said before.

From looking at it though, the 4psi turbo has more area under the curve than the 10psi blown does... that makes for a faster car.