4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Back tire rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 02:03 PM

After installing my ground controls and rotating the tires, I noticed that my back left tire is rubbing in the fender. It was actually taking off sidewall. The fender basically was cutting into the tire. I thought that it was just because my car was too low, but then I raised it higher than it was with my Intrax and it still does it. It's only on the drivers side, not the passenger side. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thanks.
Old 01-03-2001, 02:39 PM

I would check tire pressure first, but it sounds like you may have a wheel with a different offset. I would measure them to make sure.

Has the car ever been wrecked? If so, it may not have been repaired properly.
Old 01-03-2001, 03:01 PM

Exchange the rear wheels

Originally posted by Shadow
After installing my ground controls and rotating the tires, I noticed that my back left tire is rubbing in the fender. It was actually taking off sidewall. The fender basically was cutting into the tire. I thought that it was just because my car was too low, but then I raised it higher than it was with my Intrax and it still does it. It's only on the drivers side, not the passenger side. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Thanks.
I suggest you exchange the two rear wheels. That will reveal if you have wheels which are unalike (different offsets) or tires which are unalike (despite being marked with the same size).

If you do the exchange and are still cutting the driver's side tire, then the fender wells are unalike (collision damage?) or the rear beam axle is not centered under the unibody.
Old 01-03-2001, 03:20 PM

Car has never been wrecked and the tires never rubbed until about a week ago when I put the ground controls on. But I don't see how changing springs could effect the beam. How does the beam become off center anyways, it's been one of my suspicions.
Old 01-03-2001, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Shadow
... How does the beam become off center anyways, it's been one of my suspicions.
I've never seen this happen, but your symptom suggests that it might have. According to the diagram in the factory service manual there are four rubber bushings involved in the side-to-side location of the beam axle. Two in the control link and two in the lateral link. Inspect them for damage or deterioration.

Another possibility is a bent spindle on the driver's side which would change the camber of that wheel.
Old 01-03-2001, 10:39 PM

Ground controls

I,m not sure what you mean by ground controls but if they involve anything with the suspension then I would suggest that you raise the car in order to get under it (on it,s wheels to keep pressure on the suspension) then loosen your connections that you did and then bounce the car up and down a few times and then retorque your suspension parts. When installing suspension parts the final torque should always be done with the car laden or in other words with the car sitting as it normally would with a full load on it.
Old 01-04-2001, 12:38 AM

Sounds like you're gonna have to roll your rear fenders or get a larger offset rim so it don't rub