4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Painting or dyeing interior cloth.. anyone know anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 08:43 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Painting or dyeing interior cloth.. anyone know anything?

I searched and came up with one member who spray painted his cloth seats.

I heard the spray paint can leave the cloth feeling kind of rough..

I am converting my interior from tan to black and i have all parts except the seats and the headliner. I can't find a junked car in my area with a black interior and shipping on it would cost way too much so I'm considering using a dye.

Anyone have experience with this?

Where can I get some, how is it generally applied?

also
any idea on what uholstery shops would charge to refinish my headliner in a different shade of cloth?

thanks
Old 01-08-2003, 08:46 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: Painting or dyeing interior cloth.. anyone know anything?

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
I searched and came up with one member who spray painted his cloth seats.

I heard the spray paint can leave the cloth feeling kind of rough..

I am converting my interior from tan to black and i have all parts except the seats and the headliner. I can't find a junked car in my area with a black interior and shipping on it would cost way too much so I'm considering using a dye.

Anyone have experience with this?

Where can I get some, how is it generally applied?

also
any idea on what uholstery shops would charge to refinish my headliner in a different shade of cloth?

thanks
i am need of this information too! I did look up and remember reading the thread about the spray painting part... it just never made sense to me. Let us kno!
Old 01-08-2003, 08:54 PM

Check out my webpage. I dyed the dash and doorpanels in my Max (pg 3 shows before & after pics) I didn't paint the seats however. But if I wanted to change the color, I would DYE, not paint.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you can hit up Sweetsound2001 for info on dying...he did a great job on a Maxima a year or so ago...really good results.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:01 PM

Check out my webpage. I dyed the dash and doorpanels in my Max (pg 3 shows before & after pics) I didn't paint the seats however. But if I wanted to change the color, I would DYE, not paint.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:04 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by Skoodaddy
thanks.
I saw your site before. You did a great job indeed. I may need to dye a few plastic components as well, now that i think of it. Which dye did you use? where can I find it, if you don't mine me asking.. and how has it held up?

Wizzamax,
thanks. I talked to Anton quite a few times about that He did a good job but he does not reccomend anyone doing this.. lol. I don't think he painted actual fabric though.

I am specifically wondering about cloth or fabric components, not plastics.
Old 01-09-2003, 05:30 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by Skoodaddy
that looks awesome! damn I like that two tone interior color...I wouldn't mind doing something like that but not quite like that...what kind of dye did you use?
Old 01-09-2003, 11:34 AM

It was a professional grade Dupont brand flat black dye. I applied it with the paint gun at the body shop where my car was being painted at the time. It has held up perfectly...except the bottom of my door panels. If someone with big klunky boots kicks the door on their way out, it can scrape back to the original color...not really a big deal though, it is easily touched up. Thanks for the compliments though.